[RELEASE] New Ixian Campaign - We tech-up Arrakis!

Feda

I'm working right now on a Phase Tank for the ixian. It will fire the trooper bazooka. It is stealth as well, light armoured but nice rof. Hopefully it will be nice when finished. If any of you played Red Alert: A Path Beyond, then you probably now how its gonna look like.

EDIT: I changed my mind. I used an unused weapon (from what I know - didnt see it for any other units - the NON HOMING weapon) for it and it looks very nice. Here is a short video, WIP. For unit statistics, strenght and other info please read the description of the video.

• Upvote 1

The cost & building speed are the defaults, I didn't change them. They won't remain like this. It will cost more , of course, as well as it will be produced slower. It isnt mean to raze entire bases alone, they are quite weak alone, without other tank support. But I think I should reduce damage against buildings, now is way too OP in my opinion (you could use a bunch of Phase Tanks to kill turrets then just get in with the rest of the army). Range could be reduced as well, as now it outranges gun turrets. Any thoughts on this?

Maybe you will need a palace to built? And a palace is veeery expensive (>10000)?

Now some details from the campaign I finished:

mission 6:
* You can eiher capture or destroy refineries. Not mentioned in briefing.
* A repeated pattern of rocks surrounded by sand (3 times same rock) near/under your base could be redrawn.
* Generaly easy mission they do not attack you at all unless you go for their bases or happen to detect you. You just go full speed till you build enough quads to attack. A bit monotonous. Any idea to make it more challenging? Once you capture the 2 bases refineries then the last goes viral and starts producing and attacks you?

mission 7:
* You can instead capture Construction yard and build your own research center. This 'cheating' bug should be avoided: Make Research center of a different house that the base around it. You can optionally have  4 turrets or more around it to guard it and so force the player to go for the Construction yard insted, and the mission to last a bit more.
* It is a fairly easy/fast mission, because the Atreides build no forces to attack you. My above suggestion could add more gameplay time.

mission 8:
* You ate a 'y' and a 'o' in the briefing. Hungry? At least those are more healthy than the crap in McDonalds. ;-)

: http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15982_5-horrifying-food-additives-youve-probably-eaten-today.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=noincite

---

What are the damend Harks supposed to do? I replayed and it wasn't the same though. Idiotic AI. It is funny. Enjoy some screenshots. I had to drag them out and a vast Hark army was mobilized against me. (See the minimap)...

post-2110-0-09296800-1358744741_thumb.pn

post-2110-0-03489200-1358744751_thumb.pn

post-2110-0-67238600-1358744758_thumb.pn

Maybe you will need a palace to built? And a palace is veeery expensive (>10000)?

Now some details from the campaign I finished:

mission 6:

* You can eiher capture or destroy refineries. Not mentioned in briefing.

* A repeated pattern of rocks surrounded by sand (3 times same rock) near/under your base could be redrawn.

* Generaly easy mission they do not attack you at all unless you go for their bases or happen to detect you. You just go full speed till you build enough quads to attack. A bit monotonous. Any idea to make it more challenging? Once you capture the 2 bases refineries then the last goes viral and starts producing and attacks you?

mission 7:

* You can instead capture Construction yard and build your own research center. This 'cheating' bug should be avoided: Make Research center of a different house that the base around it. You can optionally have  4 turrets or more around it to guard it and so force the player to go for the Construction yard insted, and the mission to last a bit more.

* It is a fairly easy/fast mission, because the Atreides build no forces to attack you. My above suggestion could add more gameplay time.

mission 8:

* You ate a 'y' and a 'o' in the briefing. Hungry? At least those are more healthy than the crap in McDonalds. ;-)

: http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_15982_5-horrifying-food-additives-youve-probably-eaten-today.html?wa_user1=5&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=noincite

---

What are the damend Harks supposed to do? I replayed and it wasn't the same though. Idiotic AI. It is funny. Enjoy some screenshots. I had to drag them out and a vast Hark army was mobilized against me. (See the minimap)...

Mission 7 was entirely made by galaxy, therefore I'm not really responsible for it :D Yea that should be indeed avoided (I mean the "cheat" of building the IX center) . Perhaps removing the Con Yard would solve the issue, as well as the repair facility.

I know that it doesnt look the best when there are same type of tiles one after another but that isnt a very big problem :) Though it will be fixed when the next release will be out (which will include the Phase Tank and the Mobile Artillery).

The missions were not made for easy. Easy has bad AI, not to mention that AI reinforcements are cut out on easy. AI players don't receive the full pack (say if u put like 2 combat tanks they receive only 1). To sum it up, easy sux and makes the missions, well, too easy :D

The harks are just stupid... Have no clue whats happening.. I tried with 3-4 different .misai files but they were the same bugged. Sometimes they work properly, they build & attack periodically, as they should, but other times they just keep building and never actually use those units.

I am currently working on another vehicle for the Ixians: the Mobile Artillery. It will be, as the name says, an arty unit, but will have true arty range, not the siege tank's joke range... Also, it will be very weak against direct attacks so the proper way of using them is to back them up with other forces.

About eating letters, I often do that and I usually dont realise it :D sry

Harks go nuts even in original campaign. They just pile units in their base and do a massive attack. Other time they behave OK. That AI is nuts.

Anyway to disallow Easy (and maybe Normal) for player?

Those tiles issues indeed are minor ones. Your maps are great. I really enjoyed mission 8. Still it could be a bit harder. I mean the atreides have virtually no protection. You go from the south and that is the end of them-not even one turret there! You go directly against them destroy the weak defence easily (couple turrets) and thats the end of them again.

Last mission was of the same superb quality. I played it over and over again. Hmm, if you laced the construction yard 7 tiles down (South) then it would be faster to build the refinery near the South and thus have better protection for your harvester in beginning of game, or not?

The problem is that you have to build the starport as quickly as possible to receive r/forcements. You may not have enough time to do this and then at least have a turret ready to be able to defend the first massive enemy raid. Sometimes you manage, sometimes not.

• Upvote 1

It would be a waste of time to capture the CY... Let's say you capture it and build the research center but still has logic getting the sonics because it is Atr CY. You don't even have money so it's not that fast to get the RC.

In mission 9 defending until you get starport you should not have problems defending. I passed the mission on medium without any turret a while ago.

I'm curious how you see the spacing guild properly

It would be a waste of time to capture the CY... Let's say you capture it and build the research center but still has logic getting the sonics because it is Atr CY. You don't even have money so it's not that fast to get the RC.

In mission 9 defending until you get starport you should not have problems defending. I passed the mission on medium without any turret a while ago.

I'm curious how you see the spacing guild properly

"Properly".... Define that word... The spacing guild is displayed properly, considering dune's engine. You keep saying that its not displayed properly; show a screenshot so I can tell u if thats the way it should. And no, it won't be a normal healthy and high-quality color just because it kinda doesnt exist.

Nice reports there athanasios, you're really patient to see all those things :) Good job.

I doubt we can remove easy and medium, and why would we do that? Some noobs need easy while ppl who want fun & challenge will choose hard. 

• Upvote 1

Money you can get from capturing Refineries. Yes it is a waste of time, I agree. But as I already mentioned I try alternative ways. ;-)

The difference is that I played Hard Level.

-

As about my proposal to make it only available on Hard Level it was based on the assumption that someone has already played the official campaigns and then resorted to modded stuff so he has experience. True my reasoning is wrong. aKaFedaYkin thanks for correcting me. Let the noobs have some joy too!

Then the Medium Tank would be OP , especially with that rof... Why would we change the weapons of the combat tank?

As for the archive, try to unzip it with WinZip. (im assuming u tried to extract with WinRAR) or 7zip. Or vice-versa.

Money you can get from capturing Refineries. Yes it is a waste of time, I agree. But as I already mentioned I try alternative ways. ;-)

The difference is that I played Hard Level.

-

As about my proposal to make it only available on Hard Level it was based on the assumption that someone has already played the official campaigns and then resorted to modded stuff so he has experience. True my reasoning is wrong. aKaFedaYkin thanks for correcting me. Let the noobs have some joy too!

As I said, it has logic thinking at the objective so if you want capture the CY and make your own research center...

Feda i think like that: all houses have the same medium tank blast so why Ixians to dont have devastator blast at medium tank. But its my opinion. Sorry for quote you will think its feda words but is not you can check, have some problems with it(quote) :D     I replied to #79 feda post at first sentence.

Yea those are indeed NOT my words, i dont understand why u quote me then :D

Man, i have nothing against changing their weapon, but not with the devastator OP one... And no, i dont have any other ideas so it will remain the original one for now.