Trigger/Event Library

akuenzi

Looking at various scenarios created for this fine game has provided opportunity to see much creativity with the event editor, whether with triggers used, or events impacted.  Has anybody created a library of these triggers/events, particularly with those that are especially creative or might be something nobody else has thought of doing?

I don't know if this would be the place to share them, but thought I'd ask the question.  My attempts to create scenarios are limited, but the most 'creative' event I tried to set up involved the stockholder being able to borrow money from the corporation.  It becomes kind of handy when a guy's got a temporary little problem with negative purchasing power.  :)

What's the most innovative trigger/event you've ever made?

I built (and mostly kept updated) a spreadsheet of all events put into my US History scenario. There are over 400 of them, including multiple cascades. I am mostly pleased with the way territorial expansion occurs on this map.

Perhaps the most "clever" thing I did was to use some of the territory variables as game variables. I would create an event for "one territory", granting it access to that territory's four variables. I could use them for calculation, storage, or both. If I wanted effects to then hit all territories, I would cascade the decision to a handler that would operate on many territories without doing any thinking or bookkeeping. I gained at least a dozen extra "game variables" this way.

Note: Cascading effects can collide. Because I was doing history, most of my effects are tightly timed to avoid such collisions. Events with imprecise timing could not be designed to cascade without risk of collision.

Thanks outofmage,

I've seen the editor3.txt file -- it's a great overview of all the various tools in the event editor.  However, I was mainly curious about how others have used these tools creatively to accomplish other objectives that might be less than obvious, such as the example Jeff gave.  I've heard of others set up events that attempt to calculate income taxes.  There's probably a way to make an event for advertising that somehow impacts the company's revenue stream.  And so forth.