Mods: What we can and can't do

nemafakei

OK, this is a list of all the things possible at the moment, so that people don't post "change the unit appearance" all the time.

We can:

Edit unit statistics, eg cost, speed, weapon effectiveness etc.

Edit unit abilities, eg stealth

Switch models beween units

Add units, using other units' grapic models

Change unit/building/inf'y textures, colours and icons

Change tooltip texts

Change house (or subhouse) names, logos, etc

We Can't:

Change the models themselves

Change unit sounds

Change WW's engine - eg how waypoints work, etc

Add new houses or subhouses

Add more than 20ish units.

Alphabeta, could you sticky this so it doesn't get lost, please?

Post up any queries or additions to this list here.

[Devinoch-WS] [Gobalopper] What do you/WW think of the efforts at making modifications for Emperor, ie people trying to figure out the .xbf format?

[WS_ChrisL] Overall,we've been very pleased & surprised at the mod efforts.

[WS_ChrisL] There are a lot of folks doing some very creative things with mods. We would like to encourage that more, but we also have to be carefull to protect the community from hackers. A sad side to online..

[WS_ChrisL] The XBF format is a doozy. :) We wish them luck.

From this chat:

http://www.dune2k.com/news/extras/jul01/WWChat-0726.shtml

:D

Your quote: "but we also have to be carefull to protect the community from hackers. A sad side to online"

I think its pretty clear i cant tell u the details...after all I am a hacker... damn it... alphabeta ill mail you once i know if i can. anybody has suggestions?

Riper

Riper they are talking about people hacking the game for cheats etc. notice how Chris said, "The XBF format is a doozy. We wish them luck." Key word there *we wish them luck*. Now if you ask me you don't have the xbf format and are just giving out excuses so you don't have to prove it. Either prove that you have it figured out or stop posting that you do.

Look I have it cracked but its not really my work... i kind of aquired the source code for Emperor alright? unless u want me to upload the entire source code, which i doubt, i suggest you take my word.

Riper

stop bugging me alright...ok but the only guy i trust here is alphabeta so ill send him some sort of proof. dont believe i have the source code? lol me well maybe u should open ur eyes it can be downloaded from lots of sites. I wont name them dont wanna get banned. Why would i lie whats the use of it? Will u guys trust me for once in ur freakin lives?! shees what happened why is everybody against me! Scorpio9a...of all the people id expect u to back me up...no matter i will prove it. alphabeta can u promise that if i send them  to u u will not show them to ANYONE? not gob not scorpio not even ur little brother?

Riper

- Beat me up, cuz ur no match for me when im cruisin

OK! That's enough fighting.

Alphabeta can tell us soon enough, then if we do have the key to the formats, we can work on getting a way of manually editing the xbfs and whatever.

Scorpio9a, no need to be so cynical. Riper, no need to be so paranoid/agitated. Now, let us continue working together to help emp, instead of arguing.

Riper we would believe you if you show us! Saying you have the source code to a game like Emperor isn't something I would believe unless I saw it, no matter who was telling me they had it.

Send alpha the code, if you are telling the truth its great but just do it and stop stalling.