AI Players 'missing' in Scenario

Hey all :)

I have been tearing my hair out over this issue which im betting ill feel silly when someone tells me what im doing wrong! Ive played RT3 for years now but have only recently started creating my own maps.

I wanted to create a map of my home country Rhodesia (I live in the UK now) and have had a few minor problems doing this but I have the map up and ready to go.

The issue im having is I wanted to make the scenario for one human player and up to 5 AI players, I chose the player for me (Cecil Rhodes ofcourse :P) and then chose the 5 AI players I wanted to compete against. I set the scenario to mandatory 1 human player and 1 AI player with the others optional.

BUT, I have been playing the scenario over and over and the AI players do not start their companies!, they are always on the player list and they have even bought some of my comapnies shares, but they do not start their own companies at all, even after 20 years has gone by in the scenario none of them begin a company or anything!!

Can anyone tell me where I might have gone wrong please? I love playing this game but it gets a little boring after a while not having anyone to compete against!

Thanks guys!

Some AI chairmen seldom build a Railroad. Each has a specialty.

1. Pick Chairmen that have a 200 % chance of building a railroad.

2. Make sure each has enough cash and

3. Larger cities that are not too far apart offer more cargo to entice a chairmen to build track to them.

Thank you for replying to my question!

I understand what you said, but how do I know what AI chairmen are best to pick?....you said pick chairmen who have a 200% chance of starting a rail company but theres no information on who has what specialty.

At the moment I am using Cecil Rhodes as my human player and then these following people as AI players:

Lord Strathcona

Sir George Stephen

Sir John Forrest

Sir Sanford Fleming

Leland Stanford

I cant remember playing against these characters in other scenarios which is kind of why I picked them. Should I choose others instead?

I have a short chart for RRT2 handy.

I believe the RRT3 chart is about the same.

Chance of starting a RR: Random # of 0 to 200%, 100% = Average score, 20 to 200% = Maximum score.

.............. Highest possible scores .........Also Best possible score to do what:

Rhodes, Cecil ................... 200% .........200 % Expand rail .......... He makes a wicked IA Chairman for building a RR.

Lord Strathcona .............. 100% ........ 100% Average most things .... <

Sir George Stephen ...........100% ..........100% Average most things ... <

Sir John Forrest .................125% ..........175% Expand rail ................... < These are mostly average Chairmen

Sir Sanford Fleming ...... .....100% ..........200% Issue bonds .................<

Leland Stanford .................100% .........185% Investing in others ....... <

Brunel ..............................200% .........200% expands rail ....................................<

Crocker .............................200%......... 200% Expands rail and invest in others ...... < Best competitive AI chairmen.

Hill ....................................200% ........ 200% Expands rail and issue bonds ............ <

Huntington .......................190% ..........155% Issue bonds

Fremont ........................... 180% ..........170% Issue bonds

Harriman ...........................170% ..........190% Short selling Stock

Fisk ..................................170% ..........185% Margin buying

Holliday ............................165% ..........135% Expand rail .......................................... <

Train ................................160% ......... 200% Industry investment

Drew ...............................140% ..........180% Margin buying and Short selling stock

Emperor Meiji.....................140% ..........100% Average

Plantner ...........................140%.......... 165% Expand rail ......................................... <

... other chairmen

Bismarck ............................20% ...........175% Industry investment

Gould ............................... 20% .......... 200% Margin buying, Short selling stock & Investing in others

If I find the full chart I will post it later.

• Upvote 1

Thank you very much for posting that chart :)

Its a great help to see whos the best AI players to compete against, like i said above, I chose the ones I did because I cannot remember playing against them before, from your chart I can see why!

What il do now is re-edit my scenario and change the AI players to the most competitive ones from your list, although I will keep Cecil Rhodes as my human player because after all my sceanrio is Rhodesia :)

I dont remember ever seeing that chart with my copy of RRT3 so thank you for posting it.

Hey Gwizz

I re-edited my scenario and replaced my chosen AI players to the top performing ones from the list you provided, and even gave them all double the average starting cash.....and they are still not building rail companies!! all they do is buy my stock.

I increased my companies dividend rate so they even got more cash from that but nope nothing, im 6 years into this new scenario so far.

All my towns and cities are decently spaced but close enough to easily connect and nearly all of them have some kind of industry in place already.

Im now completely lost as to where to go from here!

In the editor, you changed to different chairmen and saved the map with a new name in the editor. The managers still won't start a railroad.

I would try another map that has a number of AI Competitors. See if any start a company. If they don't: You could have a glitch in the RT2 game.

Change the RT2 game folder's name. Move this old folder into another directory. Then install a new RT2 game into the directory where the old RT2 game was installed.

Copy your new map from the old map folder & place it in the new RT2 folder and see if that fixes the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Lord Southwold

I loaded RT3 and tried to replicate the problem.

I also had RT2 loaded as a reference to go back to. 

I started to lose power which kicked me back to desktop.  Each time I was able to restart only to be dumped again.

I check my connections and pushed the power cord in tighter and got a burst of sparks. 

Took the power supply apart and found the fan for the power supply had stopped working causing the supply to overheat kicking off the breaker momentarily.

That was the second fan I had lost over a period of a few months.   Since the power supply is multi-functional, I don't have a spare that will work.

Looks like I will have to put the XP unit back into operation until I repair the ME Unit.

I still plan to look into the problem of the lazy chairmen that won't build a RR. 

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for digging this one out, but, i've been googling and can't find a solution.

The problem is more or less the same.

I wanted to play the map Alternate USA against AI, but, I can't get them to work. Is there a trigger I need to put in? I even put the "AI ignores territories at startup" special condition, and, nothing. They just don't start...

On some maps the AI chairmen are not allowed, None picked to start a RR.   Check to see if at least one is allowed to be an AI RR chairman.

If you plan to play only against the AI RRs, Don't check multiplayer.  That requires another live player.

You might add another AI chairmen or two or three.  I usually allow a number of AI RRs.  

The map I'm working on now has 10 AIs and 3 were prestarted in the editor.  Two others did not start up at all on my last play through. 

I don't think I  had enough cities for all to start up.  So I added a few more cities.   I will see if that does the trick.

That has happened to me.  I take control and build the AI track myself.  I usually have to rob the trust fund to do this. 

I think it has to do with an AI not having enough money and the chairman not willing to go into debt.    Not enough cities could also cause it.

Hehehehe... What a bunch of scaredy cats....

I will try to increase their money.

Problem shouldn't be cities; a map as big as the alternate usa, has a big number of cities....

The AI isn't the best in this game....

Why don't they make a reboot for this game? Instead of making the joke that was Railroads!

The game shouldn't be a lot diferent, just add more features, industries, graphics and bigger maps... And maybe 1-2 features from Railroads.

I would also love to have the some features from RT2 in RT3, like for example the customization of stations. The stand alone post office/restaurant/hotel/tavern isn't enough...

• 4 years later...