Unusual weather

ARE WE HAVING A WEATHER WAR WITH RUSSIA?

A few years back Russia asked Borneo if they wanted Russia to send then a typhoon to put out a huge year old fire.

Borneo said no.

Last year Russia blamed the US for a Russian drought.

This year US weather has been very unusual.

Now a large weather cell is forming in the gulf of Alaska that has the same datum as the East coast weather cell.

If this large weekend cell is combined with another cell, it could be aimed down the Pacific Coast some time next week.

I guess we will have to wait and see?

The following is from meteoroloest Scott Sistek (I believe located in Seattle)

"On Thursday, I wondered if the Pacific Northwest could ever have a storm similar to Sandy. The answer was: not exactly, but I did paint a hypothetical case of what might be a worst case scenario here of a combined wind, rain and snow storm.

It turns out, I almost described a storm that did actually strike the Northwest before: The "Storm King" of January 9, 1880.

Noted local windstorm researcher Wolf Read has described the storm as one of the strongest ever to strike the Northwest and could likely battle the great Columbus Day Storm of 1962 as the greatest of all time.

This was an intense storm that brought extreme winds to Oregon -- and extreme snow to Washington, although still pales in comparison to the destruction Sandy caused (then again, the population around here in 1880 wasn't exactly crowded)."

Most Meteorologest's feel chances are almost non existent for the Northwest to experience a Sandy like storm.

Over 3 hundred years ago Seattle was covered by a glacier. There was nothing in Seattle except for the huge pile of ice.

I'm guessing there was a warming spell that melted the Seattle glacier or )10 million men with shovels). 8)

I agree. There is indeed climate change that causes excesses in both directions.

I've read that there is a trend in the Northwest area that we are again cooling. This sure fits this year's missing summer.

The cooling cell system that is over Alaska is blamed for their missing summer.

While rain is continuing in the Northwest, I don't believe the two systems will combine.

There is a temperature differential. But it is not a warm system, at least not enough of a differential.

Then again: Harp is in the mix. Harp can warm a small area enough to move an air mass in a different direction. (One Harp site is in Alaska)

Man continually is in the middle of making dumb decisions and now has technology to help change the weather. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'm not a Troglodyte since I enjoy my freedom. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :D

Most Meteorologists feel chances are almost non existent for the Northwest to experience a Sandy like storm.

They don't "feel" it, they know it. The reason is because there's a cold water current from Alaska to Los Angeles. A semi-tropical storm like Sandy can't even get as far as LA.

Over 3 hundred years ago Seattle was covered by a glacier. There was nothing in Seattle except for the huge pile of ice.

I'm guessing there was a warming spell that melted the Seattle glacier or )10 million men with shovels). 8)

300 years? Try 13,000+ years

I'm not a Troglodyte since I enjoy my freedom. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :D

Sorry, but according to Democrats, loving freedom and/or guns and/or religion makes you a subhuman, pre-civilized barbarian (aka troglodyte, Neanderthal etc). Oh, and you must be a racist, homophobic misogynist too. Did you know you were evil? Don't you know that opposing gov't largess is equivalent to opposing all love and life? That's because (according to democrats), gov't is the only possible creator of wealth, compassion or charity.

Shows me how some Liberals think or what they really know without thinking.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The ice that covered Seattle in the early 1700s generally was not the end of an Ice age glacier.

Even now I believe Washington has 4 or 5 glaciers that advance or retract each year, no longer connected to an ice age Glacier.

If I remember correctly Seattle had a huge pile of ice on it. Tacoma, about fifty miles South, had none.

The ice appeared when an ice dam broke on the Columbia Plateau. The ice piled up in the very deep, lake Washington, East of Seattle

and spilled onto what is now Seattle. While the ice is gone there is a large forest on a mountain that was pushed down hill by the ice into the lake.

A few years ago a man with a small barge was harvesting the underwater timber until Seattle stopped him, saying the timber belonged to the government.

The Missoula Glacier higher up was feeding the Columbia Plateau Glacier over many many years in the same manner that the Columbia Plateau glacier dumped ice on Seattle.

About 5 miles East off shore from Seattle, an Indian village survived and is still there today.

This information from memory, came from one of our Seattle museums.