Old computer XP problem solved

Found someone who was able to fix my XP machine, my closest neighbor. He said fixing computers is a hobby.

He unplugged the front media panel. I'm still able to use the rear media panel.

He said he had a contact high up at HP who told him what problems my machine might have. To think I was planning to buy and install a new mother board and chip in the XP.

I did pick up a larger power supply with a bigger fan for my ME gaming machine. The fan I previously installed was doing the job of removing heat from my over clocking.

Now I think I will set up an old computer and install an extra hard drive to store video for my security cameras.

I have not figured out how to time it. Maybe using a motion detector will work to reduce run time; and some kind of date and time counter I could use to scan when needed ?

I know Costco has a setup for about $200 with 4 or 5 cameras.

With the economy heading for the bottom of the tank, a little more security might be a good thing if Obama gets re-elected. Luckily unemployment here is still under 20%. In Nevada it is over 25%.

For security camera, some have motion detection. When it detects motion it will record until it stops (could be like only 3 seconds). So if say camera pointed from second story window down onto driveway, you would have motion detection onto driveway only and it would record anytime someone pulled in (could be useful if wondering if delivery guy stopped by or something).

I don't have lots of experience with security cameras, I did buy a cheap/sale trendnet that was being discontinued. Was good price but have only tested to make sure it works, it is not actively in use though.

Expect to pay $100 for a decent single indoor camera.

Some people buy foscam (canada website, I'm sure they have us version).

http://foscam.ca/products.html

For security camera, some have motion detection.

If you get "motion detection" don't waste money on cheap crap that rolls with every cat or swirl of leaves.

If truly concerned that unemployment may lead to a break-in, then buy a gun and wear it. Foul-weather criminals are not professional enough to wait until you're away from home.

Though the official unemployment rate might be ~10%, the real out-of-work number (which includes everyone who has given up or otherwise fallen off the unemployment rolls) is about 30% nationally and much higher in some areas. Among blacks aged 18-25, the OOW rate is ~55%, and that's concentrated further in urban centers