Dune Dynasty

dynasty

@everyone
I've managed to build a version for macOS ARM64, but have no way to test it. It would be great, if someone with such a mac could test it for me. I've uploaded it here:
https://mega.nz/file/9LkXFCJI#HuPvDre5lqJ5gJfjO65MCb7f3hS3hylF7TSQ6RilU6M

Edit: Build is confirmed to be working. Next release will have macOS ARM64 support.

Edited by duneflorist

10 hours ago, queops said:

Thanks for the Dune Dynasty v1.6.1.

I would like to play together with the Custom campaigns Dune 2 eXtended.

steps I tried with no success so far:
Extract both files (DuneX129.zip DuneXSavegames.rar) on campaign directory

and DuneX inside Data( together with the files from the original dune2)

I know it works because I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LB1ebNYZzI

I tried to click, but I know it didnt work.
I tried to search for the answer but I got lost in so many topics. thanks

hey @queops!

you need to extract "DuneX129.zip" into the "campaign/dune2x" subfolder of Dune Dynasty.  be sure the files lie directly in this subfolder (so "campaign/dune2x/META.INI" for example). you leave the original Dune2 data files in the "data" directory unchanged. after that, you should be able to select the extended campaign by clicking on the "The Building of a Dynasty" subtitle in the main menu. the subtitle should then change to "Dune 2 eXtended" and you should be able to start the game.

the savegames do not work though, since they were created from the modified "dunex.exe". but they are not really needed anyway, since you can select the starting level at the bottom of the house-selection screen.

let me know, if you are still having problems - and tell me the system you are playing on (win, linux or mac).

@WillSo

I just investigated the "Raise scenario unit cap" enhancement option. It seems, that the current implementation (see here) tries to fill up the max-units for all houses with a shared amount of 70. but this is useless, if a scenario already has a total maximum units of all houses exceeding these 70 units. a lvl 1 scenario with 2 houses has e.g. 40 maxunits in total. so each of the houses will get 15 additional units with the enhancement enabled. but an endgame lvl 9 scenario with 4 houses has 85 maxunits in total already. so no additional units are allocated at all - making the option useless in later scenarios.

additionally, (like with structures) there is a maximum allowed total units of 102 (see UNIT_INDEX_MAX here).

i will try to modify this option to be more useful in the next release (since it is also quite needed in skirmish/multiplayer with up to 6 houses on the map). i think i'll simply set the max units to 50 for each house.

i just hope, that messing with these INDEX constants doesn't have any problematic side-effects. there is definitely a problem, if you save a game with raised indices, and then want to load it with lower indices (with the enhancement disabled). it seems to work, if i uncomment some "assert" statements, but don't know, if that's a good idea.

i'm also thinking about displaying additional unit statistics in the Outpost-text. right now it displays a "Friend" and "Enemy" count unter "Radar Scan". (the "Friend" count is actually all allied units.) i think i'll add an additional "Unit Control" section with some general statistics about ones own units:

- Active units
- Orderd units
- Max units

one can then check this panel, how many units one has left to build.

On 1/23/2024 at 12:48 AM, duneflorist said:

@WillSo

I just investigated the "Raise scenario unit cap" enhancement option. It seems, that the current implementation (see here) tries to fill up the max-units for all houses with a shared amount of 70. but this is useless, if a scenario already has a total maximum units of all houses exceeding these 70 units. a lvl 1 scenario with 2 houses has e.g. 40 maxunits in total. so each of the houses will get 15 additional units with the enhancement enabled. but an endgame lvl 9 scenario with 4 houses has 85 maxunits in total already. so no additional units are allocated at all - making the option useless in later scenarios.

additionally, (like with structures) there is a maximum allowed total units of 102 (see UNIT_INDEX_MAX here).

i will try to modify this option to be more useful in the next release (since it is also quite needed in skirmish/multiplayer with up to 6 houses on the map). i think i'll simply set the max units to 50 for each house.

i just hope, that messing with these INDEX constants doesn't have any problematic side-effects. there is definitely a problem, if you save a game with raised indices, and then want to load it with lower indices (with the enhancement disabled). it seems to work, if i uncomment some "assert" statements, but don't know, if that's a good idea.

i'm also thinking about displaying additional unit statistics in the Outpost-text. right now it displays a "Friend" and "Enemy" count unter "Radar Scan". (the "Friend" count is actually all allied units.) i think i'll add an additional "Unit Control" section with some general statistics about ones own units:

- Active units
- Orderd units
- Max units

one can then check this panel, how many units one has left to build.

Thank you for giving UNIT_INDEX_MAX location, I'll try to play around with it, seems useful.
For now, I have raised unit limits for player factions by editing SCENARIO.PAK, which seems to work to some degree. I have created a small CLI utility program to unpack/repack Dune 2 PAK files (https://github.com/Will40/dunepak/), mostly for educational purposes and my use.
Will be waiting for new releases from you.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:21 PM, LordDune said:

Hello,

I hope this thread is still alive,

I had a great time digging into this forum with lots of valuable information, so thanks to all contributors.

I think I have found an issue with the current version of Dune Dynasty, I play the German version (incl. the v1.07 fix), and what's odd is that the unit voice speech volume (the short voice when a unit is either selected or commanded) is significantly lower in volume than the regular ingame voices (like "Unsere Basis wird angegriffen" etc.)

If I use the same data files in OpenDune or in DuneLegacy then all voices are correct, meaning the volumes of the voices do practically not differ, just as they're supposed to.

Am I the only one who has got that issue? It's true on Win XP SP3 aswell as Win7 Pro, both 32bit.

Secondly as something more nimble, the regular adlib music in Dune Legacy sounds a little bit better to my ears in terms of sound quality, I mean softer voices in the music are better distinguishable, kind of clearer or better placed. Might be related to the used audio driver?

The volume issue should be clearly audible, even for non-audiophiles. :)

@LordDune I know this is quite old, but this will be fixed in the next release.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:16 AM, Nyerguds said:

Might wanna subtract sandworms from the "allied" count unless you actually control them though 😋

That shouldn't really be a problem. In multiplayer and skirmish worms will belong to a seperate new "Neutral" house in the next release.

2 hours ago, duneflorist said:

That shouldn't really be a problem. In multiplayer and skirmish worms will belong to a seperate new "Neutral" house in the next release.

Oh, that's a neat way to solve that :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Fedaykins,

To add fire to the upcoming Dune-craze, i've just released Dune Dynasty v1.6.2. You can get it from the gihub releases page!

Here is the changelog (see CHANGES.TXT for full details):

"Even vaster armies have arrived."

• Make enhancement "Raise unit cap" more effective:

• Dune II has 3 types of unit caps:
      • A unit cap defined per house by the scenario (usually 25 for the player, and 20 for the CPU)
      • A hard-coded overall cap of 102
      • And a hard-coded cap per unit/group of units (caryalls and ornithopters: 11, saboteurs: 3, all others/ground units: 80)
    • This enhancement sets the scenario unit cap for all houses to 50, raises the overall cap to 322 and allows a total of 300 ground units (incl. saboteurs).
    • This enhancement is disabled by default and always enabled in multiplayer/skirmish.
  • Add enhancement option "Raise structure cap". (thanks @WillSo!):

• Dune II limits total structures on a map to about 70. This enhancement raises that limit by 100.
    • This enhancement is disabled by default and always enabled in multiplayer/skirmish.
    • NOTE: Games saved with this option enabled will not be able to load, when the option is disabled! An error will be shown in this case.
  • Multiplayer & Skirmish improvements:

• Add teams and AI to multiplayer and skirmish. You can now setup matches with up to 6 teams with completely custom human/AI player configurations.
    • Enable worms in multiplayer and add worm-count option (0-3) to multiplayer/skirmish options.
    • Add option to choose starting army in skirmish/multiplayer:
      • Small option is: 1 trooper, 1 quad
      • Large option is: 1 trooper, 2 quads, 1 tank, 2 siege tanks
    • Several additional fixes and improvements.
  • Add enhancement to show additional info in Outpost text:

• Shows active, standby and max units.
    • Standby units are e.g. in production, ordered in factory, outstanding reinforcements, usually 1 backup-harvester.
    • This enhancement is always enabled in multiplayer to provide the actual owned unit count in addition to the default allied count.
  • Music / Soundtrack Improvements:

• Add new soundtrack support for Dune II PC speaker recording. (download here).
    • Add new soundtrack support for the amazing 3-card mix (AdLib + MT-32 + AdLib Gold) of Cryo's Dune (1992) by the Sound Card database (listen to it on YouTube or download here). Many thanks to Ben from SCDB for providing the files!
    • Many thanks to @Gobalopper from FED2k for hosting these 2 new soundtracks!
    • Support 2024 re-release of the Spice Opera soundtrack of Cryo's Dune (1992) by EXXOS.
      NOTE: If you are using the old Spice Opera soundtrack, you have to change it's filenames to the ones indicated in /music/dune1992_spiceopera/FILELIST.TXT. The old filenames are no longer supported.
    • Remove support for Dune II - The Maker MT-32 soundtrack, since it is a subset of Shaiwa's (FED2k) MT-32 recordings.
      NOTE: If you use this sountrack, please download and use Shaiwa's (FED2k) MT-32 package instead.
    • Some additional music related fixes
  • Provide macOS ARM64 (Apple Silicon M1) package.

• The macOS packages now include a setup script to remove the executable and included libraries from Gatekeeper quarantine.
  • Additional fixes and improvements

Have fun, and let me know of any problems you encounter!