Dune Dynasty

dynasty

Hah. Well forcing the dropoff carryalls into permanent duty carryalls by keeping them at work for a while still seems to work. I wonder what exactly causes that 'status switch' though.

My guess is that the carryalls that bring in reinforcements have some kind of a special order set by default that makes them leave the map when they're not busy (IIRC there's a "Flee" order or something like that in the code, isn't there?). A harvester that calls for a carryall pickup seems to temporarily override that order, although in v1.07 it seems that carryalls will usually switch back to their "leave the map" order after they return a harvester to the refinery.

Version 1.3 is released. It fixes a crash, and adds support for custom campaigns (e.g. Super Dune 2 Classic, Stefan Hendriks' Atreides Campaign, and MrFlibble's Alternate Scenarios).

Controls and Gameplay:

• Play as Fremen, Sardaukar, and Mercenaries.
  • Units can now be deviated to non-Ordos houses.
  • Fix mouse drag when released outside of window.
  • Right-mouse-drag pans the viewport.
  • Right-click in minimap issues a generic order.
  • Add option to use left-click generic orders.
  • Add option to only change zoom level when holding control.
  • Add option to scroll along edge of viewport, as in Dune II.
  • Click palace icon to release superweapon.
  • Build queue no longer remains on hold after cancelling an item.
  • Fix regular AI not placing down structures.
  • By default, Fremen, Sardaukar, and Mercenaries now have a starport delivery time of 10.

Graphics:

• Add double-sized and context-sensitive mouse cursors.
  • Current and completed production items now flash.
  • Harvesters, refineries, and silos now have spice meters.
  • Add support for lost Dune II v1.0 repair bay and high-tech factory animations.
  • Add support for transparent rubble graphics.
  • Fix rubble sometimes being cleared during structure explosion.
  • Add infantry squad death animations, as in the Sega Mega Drive version.
  • By default, Fremen, Sardaukar, and Mercenaries now have Cyril, Radnor, and Ammon, respectively, as their mentats.

Sounds:

• Fix bugs causing some warning sounds to not be played.
  • Fix deathhand missile countdown when narrator is interrupted.
  • Add missile launch announcement.
  • By default, Fremen, Sardaukar, and Mercenaries now use the Atreides, Harkonnen, and Ordos voices and music, respectively.

Other:

• Add support for custom campaigns.
  • Add modding support through PROFILE.INI and HOUSE.INI for each campaign.
  • Unit squads, build queues, and rally points are now saved.
  • Add replay cutscene menu.
  • Add three additional letters in the Hall of Fame.
  • Add Direct3D driver (experimental).

• Upvote 2

Hmm. Just got a crash. It seemed to happen when an infantry unit died from a sonic wave just before it'd be crushed, and exactly after that weird rubble-clearing terrain bug happened.

http://i.imgur.com/bN1Qe.png

(see sonic tanks in upper right corner)

Fixed this bug. I made an error when drawing the sonic tank blur effect off the map.

I just tested normal Opendune on my work laptop, and neither the 32 bit nor 64 bit build of OpenDune 0.7 had the problem with the black graphics... so it really is a Dynasty problem.

I tested this on Windows 7 but I didn't get the black screen like you. Maybe try upgrading your opengl drivers, and, if that fails, try the experimental direct3d support instead:

[graphics]
driver=direct3d

Note that if you play in fullscreen mode, do NOT alt-tab while cutscenes or mentat briefing animations are playing. In-game and menus seem to work fine though.

Making a config option to override the sandworm's Ambush command with their Area Guard behaviour may make a nice experiment though, especially combined with the insatiable sandworms option. I think sandworms in these early levels (on Area Guard) are actually a lot scarier, exactly because you never know if they'll keep wandering or if they'd suddenly eat your stuff.

Insatiable sandworms put on Area Guard as a trial.

• Upvote 2

Well, I did up date my graphics drivers when it didn't work, so I doubt that's the issue :-\

I'll test this out, thanks :)

Add support for lost Dune II v1.0 repair bay and high-tech factory animations.

You mean you added support for just copying the 1.0 files into it? (meaning, supporting the windtrap animation colour on any frame?)

Did you fix the cancelling not switching back to the Idle animation as well?

[edit]

Yep, you did! Great :)

I also discovered F3 works as substitute for clicking the building icon now, which gives an instant release shortcut for the palace special... nice! It doesn't work on the repair bay though.

Oh, speaking of that... could a check be built in that makes carryalls ignore units for repair if the player's credits are below 100? Currently, the ejecting units from the repair facility is kinda useless since they get picked up again right away.

You can probably cheat your way around the scripts by making the "should this unit be picked up for repairs?" check (which is a unit option) return false when the money is low :)

btw, the Saboteur still randomly explodes when stopping on the edge of a sand/rock area, or on hills. I've also had one explode on the middle of sand when moving it right next to another saboteur, and once when moving it on my own concrete slabs. Could that bug be fixed somehow? It's really annoying!

[edit]

Another kinda-bug: when you have 3 saboteurs on the map, and release a fourth (going over the limit), the fourth is simply lost. I think that in Dune II, it simply refused to release, keeping the icon on the Palace.

All right. Some gameplay experience.

first, the praise:

-I LOVE that "replay cutscene" feature :D

-Transparent overlays work, as seen on walls. Nice job :)

-Infantry death anims are awesome too :)

-Left mouse controls seem to be flawless

-Dragging and scrolling no longer conflict. Awesome :)

-Insatiable sandworms on Area Guard are fricking scary! Seems some decide to just eat everything they see, while others just wander around aimlessly. Really awesome :D

Some remarks:

-Saboteurs don't show attack cursor on buildings

-Harvesters don't show attack cursor on Spice :(

-Vehicles attacking walls don't stop attacking after the wall is destroyed

-The tank attack sounds seem to be played twice, both the firing and the impact one.

-Units don't automatically attack buildings, even if they are in range, if they can't target the top-right cell of the building (I'd expect top-left, since that's the actual cell of the building, but it's really top-right). Despite this, they don't move closer when ordering them to attack it, which means there are 2 different logics at work for the range check for auto-targeting and the one for manually targeting.

-The mouse positions for making the mentat's eyes and mouth move don't seem to be correct for the Bene Gesserit.

-I sometimes get a small palette error on the Dune globe when starting the credits from the "replay cutscene" menu. May be due to it not playing the transition to side colour or something.

-Saboteurs can move through friendly units if you move them specifically on your own unit :P

-An empty harvester still shows one pixel of orange in its harvest bar

-The right-mouse-drag is pretty nifty, but it works a bit differently than I expected. In TS, you right-click and hold on a spot, and the further you move your mouse cursor away from that initially clicked spot, the higher your scroll speed in that direction is. This means you can scroll across the whole map while barely moving your mouse. Middle mouse scroll in most browsers works this way too.

A few requests:

-You mentioned the possibility of recolouring the cursor before. Now, in C&C , having a movement cursor is an easy indication of whether you have units selected. Could you always give a move cursor when having a unit selected (well, except when over a friendly building or unit of course), but recolour it to red when pointing it over a target?

-The "Sabotage" command can technically be targeted (I tested this with my editor, by giving Sabotage a targeting cursor sidebar). Could you put the Saboteur on Sabotage when using the context-sensitive mouse click commands to move it into an enemy building?

-Could you make the "Building of a Dynasty" text override an enhancements option too? I like it as "Battle for Arrakis" with the Sega Megadrive voice overrides :P

-Could a mouse drag that starts and ends on the same cell simply be seen as mouse click on that cell? I often fail to give commands or select buildings because I accidentally move my mouse a little while clicking. (in fact, I think C&C only starts the 'drag' mode if the mouse moves more than 3 pixels while holding down the button)

-Could you add worm camouflage on saboteurs as enhancement option? It looks great, and is a nice compromise between the v1.00 invisible saboteur and the v1.07 easily spotted one.

Testing Direct3D:

-Seems you already knew it messed up something when switching from fullscreen, but anyway... CPS files seem to stop working after switching between fullscreen to windowed. This includes the herald screen, the mentat backgrounds, and the main menu. Once any of the screens is messed up it won't recover later on either, for example when going to the Mentat function or picking another house.

-One switch between fullscreen and windowed messes up all previously accessed CPS screens, even if the switch is done ingame, and not on any CPS screen. CPS screens that are NOT accessed yet at that point will show fine. For example, starting the game windowed, loading a savegame, then switching to fullscreen, and then opening the Mentat gives a perfectly fine mentat, but quitting to the main menu after that gives a black main menu background.

-More importantly, though... it works on my Win7 laptop :)

Edited by Nyerguds
  • Upvote 1

I also discovered F3 works as substitute for clicking the building icon now, which gives an instant release shortcut for the palace special... nice! It doesn't work on the repair bay though.

It does work, although it seems to be a little delayed (probably due to the scripts).

-Transparent overlays work, as seen on walls. Nice job :)

Eh? Wall debris was already transparent. I meant the building and turret debris when the structure is on the rock/sand border. You'll need some tile edits to see it.

-Vehicles attacking walls don't stop attacking after the wall is destroyed

Same with spice blooms. The problem is that units don't distinguish between attacking walls and blooms, and just regular attack ground.

-I sometimes get a small palette error on the Dune globe when starting the credits from the "replay cutscene" menu. May be due to it not playing the transition to side colour or something.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "a small palette error"? It seems fine to me.

-Could a mouse drag that starts and ends on the same cell simply be seen as mouse click on that cell? I often fail to give commands or select buildings because I accidentally move my mouse a little while clicking. (in fact, I think C&C only starts the 'drag' mode if the mouse moves more than 3 pixels while holding down the button)

It should only start drag mode if you move more than 5 (scaled) pixels, but maybe I need a sensitivity option.

btw, the Saboteur still randomly explodes when stopping on the edge of a sand/rock area, or on hills. I've also had one explode on the middle of sand when moving it right next to another saboteur, and once when moving it on my own concrete slabs. Could that bug be fixed somehow? It's really annoying!

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere before, but I'm not sure I understand the problem. I thought saboteurs always exploded whenever they reach their destination, regardless of the terrain, and you need to make them guard before they reach the destination. Why the sand/rock or hill clarification?

(I fixed the saboteur leaving a tile on map that you can't occupy when they explode though.)

-Saboteurs can move through friendly units if you move them specifically on your own unit :P

The behaviour seems to be the same as in Dune II.

-The "Sabotage" command can technically be targeted (I tested this with my editor, by giving Sabotage a targeting cursor sidebar). Could you put the Saboteur on Sabotage when using the context-sensitive mouse click commands to move it into an enemy building?

I'm not even sure what sabotage does. What's the difference between a targetted sabotage and a move command?

-Could you add worm camouflage on saboteurs as enhancement option? It

, and is a nice compromise between the v1.00 invisible saboteur and the v1.07 easily spotted one.

You can do this already by putting the following lines into data/profile.ini:

[UnitObjectInfo]
# unit=ObjectFlags,SpawnChance,ActionsPlayer1,..,ActionsPlayer4
; e.g. Stealthy saboteurs and raider trikes (ObjectFlags | 0x20).
Saboteur=0x2C20,0,9,1,2,3
; Raider Trike=0x2D20,64,0,1,2,3

There are two suggestions that I think could change the overall balancing of Dune II: changing the unit limit for each faction to 50 instead of 15-25 and changing the barracks and infantry to tier-1.

You can also make this change by editting data/profile.ini (also give soldiers/infantry a speed buff while you're at it):

[Combat]
# unit=FireDistance,Damage,FireDelay,MovingSpeed
; e.g. Increase Light Infantry movement speed to match Troopers.
Soldier=2,3,45,15
Infantry=2,3,45,10

[Availability]
# object=HouseFlags,StructuresRequiredFlags,UpgradeLevelRequired
; e.g. Allow Barracks and WOR before radar outpost (StructuresRequiredFlags & ~0x040000).
Barracks=0x3E,0x000200,0
WOR=0x3D,0x000600,0

Be sure to put a comment in the first line. Dune II's INI reader is a little silly like that.

(Some of these categories are my own extensions to the old profile.ini format; I just lumped them into the same file for ease. The old categories should be the same though.)

Edit: gerwin at vogons.zetafleet.com reported a bug: units picked up by carryalls from the repair bay aren't repaired due to the new eject logic, so don't wall your repair bay in.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "a small palette error"? It seems fine to me.

Well, if I play some other animations first, it sometimes has a wrong palette for a single second when it starts. It seems to be on the initial fade in.

http://i.imgur.com/t77jj.png

To reproduce:

-Start the introduction

-Cancel the introduction right away

-Start the credits

[edit]

I checked with xcc mixer, and that's indeed planet.cps seen with westwood.pal. This is the only palette in the game with which the image looks incorrect. So it seems it doesn't switch to the correct palette right away.

[/edit]

I've seen this mentioned elsewhere before, but I'm not sure I understand the problem. I thought saboteurs always exploded whenever they reach their destination, regardless of the terrain, and you need to make them guard before they reach the destination. Why the sand/rock or hill clarification?

(I fixed the saboteur leaving a tile on map that you can't occupy when they explode though.)

Nope. It's a bug. It doesn't happen when the unit stops in the middle of a rock plate or sand. It may be a bug that makes it incorrectly identify the terrain as containing a building or something. It consistently happens on mountains and the edge cells of rock plates, but doesn't on spice, sand or rock, so it's definitely terrain related. Well, besides these odd random detonations I pointed out.

The behaviour seems to be the same as in Dune II.

Which is why they're marked 'remarks' rather than 'bugs' ;)

I'm not even sure what sabotage does. What's the difference between a targetted sabotage and a move command?

As far as I know, there is no difference. That's my point; it looks better if the sidebar shows what the unit is really setting out to do ;)

(the only difference without giving the command a targeting cursor is that the unit picks a target automatically)

You can do this already by putting the following lines into data/profile.ini:

[UnitObjectInfo]
# unit=ObjectFlags,SpawnChance,ActionsPlayer1,..,ActionsPlayer4
; e.g. Stealthy saboteurs and raider trikes (ObjectFlags | 0x20).
Saboteur=0x2C20,0,9,1,2,3
; Raider Trike=0x2D20,64,0,1,2,3

Woah! Seriously? I thought it just supported the old profile.ini stats :D

...I could support exporting/importing these in my editor :D

Edit: gerwin at vogons.zetafleet.com reported a bug: units picked up by carryalls from the repair bag aren't repaired due to the new eject logic, so don't wall your repair bay in.

Huh? Can you explain that better? What exactly is the situation that causes this bug?

• Upvote 1

Despite all of your hard work, Dynasty, is there by any chance you could apply your knowledge to patching C&C1, Red Alert 1 and Dune 2000? Those old games still need max high resolution (even in a window), custom music, multiple queue building, map zooming and the usage of the right-click command.

patching C&C1, Red Alert 1 and Dune 2000? Those old games still need max high resolution (even in a window), custom music, multiple queue building, map zooming and the usage of the right-click command.

C&C is definitely Nyerguds' territory, besides, what kind of hi-res mode do you need that is still not available?

Right-clicking, queuing and map zooming are probably not possible to implement at all by means of patching in any of the games mentioned, that'd need a source port built from reverse-engineered code as dynasty said.

Well, if I play some other animations first, it sometimes has a wrong palette for a single second when it starts. It seems to be on the initial fade in.

http://i.imgur.com/t77jj.png

To reproduce:

-Start the introduction

-Cancel the introduction right away

-Start the credits

Okay, got it.

Nope. It's a bug. It doesn't happen when the unit stops in the middle of a rock plate or sand. It may be a bug that makes it incorrectly identify the terrain as containing a building or something. It consistently happens on mountains and the edge cells of rock plates, but doesn't on spice, sand or rock, so it's definitely terrain related. Well, besides these odd random detonations I pointed out.

Why do my saboteurs behave so differently to yours?! They almost always explode on reaching their destination, in both v1.07 and Dune Dynasty. The only time they don't detonate is when moving along my own(?) concrete, but even then there's an off chance of detonation. It doesn't seem to be related to the dune2-1.07-fix ARRAKIS folder stuff.

As far as I know, there is no difference. That's my point; it looks better if the sidebar shows what the unit is really setting out to do ;)

(the only difference without giving the command a targeting cursor is that the unit picks a target automatically)

A targetted sabotage doesn't seem to work when the target is a tile (e.g. spice bloom or wall). I think I'll play it safe on this one and stick to regular move command (but maybe try to highlight the sabotage button instead).

Huh? Can you explain that better? What exactly is the situation that causes this bug?

Units that leave the repair bay via a carryall (due to walling in) don't actually regain any health. The carryall will drop the unit off, immediately see that it needs repairs again, and take it back to the repair bay. The repairs will still drain your credits, so it is game breaking if you like to use that tactic.

Units that leave the repair bay out the door are fine though.

I guess we can conclude that I don't use the walling in trick anymore.

Why do my saboteurs behave so differently to yours?! They almost always explode on reaching their destination, in both v1.07 and Dune Dynasty. The only time they don't detonate is when moving along my own(?) concrete, but even then there's an off chance of detonation. It doesn't seem to be related to the dune2-1.07-fix ARRAKIS folder stuff.

I thought it was just random too, until MrFlibble pointed out the edges thing. In the middle of sand or rock plates they don't spontaneously explode.

A targetted sabotage doesn't seem to work when the target is a tile (e.g. spice bloom or wall). I think I'll play it safe on this one and stick to regular move command (but maybe try to highlight the sabotage button instead).

Well I only suggested using it when giving a saboteur a move command into a building anyway. IMO, the fact it ignores walls and blows up the first one it encounters instead of taking a few steps around it is horribly annoying, btw :|

Units that leave the repair bay via a carryall (due to walling in) don't actually regain any health. The carryall will drop the unit off, immediately see that it needs repairs again, and take it back to the repair bay. The repairs will still drain your credits, so it is game breaking if you like to use that tactic.

That's bizarre... I'd think the condition for picking up the unit would be that it can't exit when trying to exit. Why would it try to exit before it's repaired?

I guess we can conclude that I don't use the walling in trick anymore.

...you mean you're not going to fix the bug? Personally, if I have to choose between no manual ejecting (which is only useful with my aforementioned additional low money check on the picking up) and automatic battlefield delivery, I'd choose the delivery any time :|

That's bizarre... I'd think the condition for picking up the unit would be that it can't exit when trying to exit. Why would it try to exit before it's repaired?

Dune II's repair process is to give a unit full health the moment it enters the repair bay. The percentage you see is calculated some other way. However, for the eject change, the unit's health is now only incremented when you leave the structure, based on how much credits you have spent. There are two ways to leave the structure: out the door and being picked up by a carryall. I only covered the first case, and hence the bug. Hope that clears it up.

...you mean you're not going to fix the bug? Personally, if I have to choose between no manual ejecting (which is only useful with my aforementioned additional low money check on the picking up) and automatic battlefield delivery, I'd choose the delivery any time :|

You misunderstood me. It has been fixed. But the fact that it has remained undetected throughout v1.2 means I don't use the battlefield delivery feature.

• Upvote 1

C&C is definitely Nyerguds' territory, besides, what kind of hi-res mode do you need that is still not available?

Widescreen support (ie. 720p, 900p and 1080p modes). Dune Dynasty, C&C2 Tiberian Sun and all later C&C games support both full and wide screen resolutions, even in 1080p.

Widescreen support (ie. 720p, 900p and 1080p modes). Dune Dynasty, C&C2 Tiberian Sun and all later C&C games support both full and wide screen resolutions, even in 1080p.

As I already said in my own forum, it HAS full resolution support. I even posted a 1080p screenshot on ModDB. That's what the "custom" option under "Resolution" in the CCConfig tool does. And RA's high res mod also allows you to pick ANY resolution you want. <_<

• Upvote 1

I think I've figured out the saboteur issue. Here is the code responsible for the saboteur exploding when it reaches its destination:

if (unit->o.type == UNIT_SABOTEUR &&
(Map_GetLandscapeType(Tile_PackTile(newPosition)) == LST_WALL ||
(unit->targetMove != 0 && Tile_GetDistance(unit->o.position, Tools_Index_GetTile(unit->targetMove)) < 32))) {
Map_MakeExplosion(4, newPosition, 500, 0);
}

From the code, it appears that the saboteur is meant to detonate when it walks into a wall, or when it is within 32/256 of a tile to its destination. However, the saboteur will sometimes stop a bit short of its target (otherwise it might overshoot its target?), the distance < 32 condition is not satisfied, and so it doesn't detonate. This occurs more often on the fast and fastest game speeds, but also when travelling on concrete on normal game speed. Terrain such as mountains slow the unit down, and the saboteur some how winds up getting a little closer and detonating.

In addition, this calculation is also why the saboteur will sometimes detonate when travelling diagonally but not orthogonally, or vice-versa.

So unless units are meant to stop short of the target, it's not really a bug. It would be nice to have a consistent behaviour across the different game speeds though.

Edit: This is also why you can sometimes get a saboteur to walk into an enemy unit but not have it detonate.

Wait wait, so it's meant to detonate wherever it stops? That's pretty retarded...

Personally, I'd find it handy if the Sabotage command would be targetable, and only THAT would make it detonate wherever the command was targeted, be it the cell of an enemy unit, or a wall or structure, or even just the ground. But normal Move should do no such thing.

If you can make that code check what the currently executing command is, then that should be perfectly possible, no?

After all, saboteurs are pretty useless as it is. Making them more controllable would be a really nice extra.

• Upvote 1

Okay, a little more on this issue.

This piece of code comes from Unit_Move. At this stage of the function, the unit->o.position still refers to the saboteur's previous position. So distance < 32 code translates to something like "the saboteur's previous position is less than 2 pixels away from its target destination". In most cases, the saboteur will move about 16 distance (1 pixel) per call to Unit_Move, so this is usually equivalent to saying "after moving, the saboteur is less than one pixel away from its destination". However, if it moves greater than 16 distance per call (e.g. on faster game speeds, on concrete), then it can satisfy both of the following conditions by chance:

If the distance from the previous position to the destination is d_prev >= 32, it will not detonate.

If the distance between the next position and the destination is d_next < 16, it will automatically stop at the end of the function (and, therefore, not detonate in the next cycle of unit movement logic).

So, yes, it is supposed to detonate wherever it stops. There's also no special detonation logic for walking into units.

(I must say, the targetted sabotage idea works quite well.)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.4 is released. It adds fog of war, MP3 music support, pixel aspect ratio corrections, and a small resolution sidebar.

Controls and Gameplay:

• Add fog of war option.
  • Fix a bug causing units picked up from the repair bay to not regain any health.
  • Fix brutal AI not being loaded from saved games.
  • Fix a bug in the script engine causing harvesters to display the "waiting for pickup" status text instead of the "stopped" text.
  • Fix bug causing units to walk back and forth at a large obstacle.
  • Make units more reliably approach and attack a target.
  • Click starport icon to send order.
  • Fix palace countdown being reset without releasing a saboteur.
  • Saboteurs now only detonate when on sabotage command. This includes right-clicking on an enemy structure, unit, or wall.
  • Rally points can now be set with left click when using left-click orders.
  • Use same random number generator as Dune II.
  • Use repair cost formula from Dune II v1.07, except that palaces are not free to repair.
  • Use repair cost formula from Dune II v1.0 for Super Dune II campaign.
  • Add option to restore Ordos getting siege tanks one level later than other houses, in level 7 instead of level 6. (default: off)

Graphics:

• Add pixel aspect correction options.
  • Use alternative production sidebar for low resolutions.
  • Improve the look of building rubble when next to sand tiles.
  • Show target cursor for harvester and saboteur actions.
  • Fix loss of backgrounds in Direct3D when toggling screen modes.
  • Fix sonic tank turret being drawn with a slight tint.
  • Use cloaked saboteurs in Super Dune II campaign to mimic Dune II v1.0.
  • Infantry squad death animations now an enhancement option.

Sounds:

• Add support for MP3 files.
  • Add option to choose between synth and digital sound effects.
  • Mentat screen now plays briefing music.

Other:

• Strategic map indicates which scenarios you have not yet completed.
  • Add new options to the game controls menu.
  • Subtitle override is now an enhancement option.

Edit: Add pixel aspect ratio options to the sample configuration file in 1.4.1.

• Upvote 2

wow... that's amazing stuff! You're awesome, Dynasty :D

Make units more reliably approach and attack a target.

Is this the building targeting bug I mentioned? :)

Click starport icon to send order.

Does that mean F3 works for that too?

[edit]

Just saw rubblemask.png. Great way of solving that :D