Dune Dynasty

dynasty

I'm happy to announce Dune Dynasty v1.5.7.

Dune Dynasty is a continuation of the classic real-time strategy game Dune II by Westwood Studios. It is not a remake. It builds upon the original game engine as reverse-engineered by the OpenDUNE project.
Dune Dynasty features these modern enhancements:

• Runs natively on Linux and Windows (OpenGL or Direct3D)
  • High-resolution graphics, including zooming
  • Multiple unit selection with control groups
  • New build queue interface
  • Rally points
  • Multiple sound channels

Plus:

• Emulated Ad-Lib sound and music playback
  • General MIDI playback
  • Custom campaigns
  • Fog of war option
  • Smoother unit animation
  • Brutal AI mode
  • Skirmish mode
  • Jukebox
  • Bug fixes

You will need the *.PAK data files from the EU v1.07 release of Dune II.

Homepage: http://dunedynasty.sourceforge.net/
Change log: http://dunedynasty.s...et/changes.html
Download page: http://sourceforge.n...edynasty/files/
Bug tracker: https://sourceforge....ynasty/tickets/

Edit: update for version 1.5.

• Upvote 4

Oh my goodness. That is magnificent. Absolutely magnificent!

Does it support the fixed reinforcements syntax of the Dune II v1.07 fix? IIRC, OpenDune did.

I always wanted the intro to have both voiceover AND text, btw. Could you make that work?

[edit]

Hey, you used my icon for the exe. Neat :D

You should use the full version though. The 16x16 resize Windows does automatically for its Details view looks pretty bad compared to the one I put in the full version.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune2versions/dune2.ico

All right. I've been playing a bit, so I'll go ahead and give my full impression.

General:

-the folder contains an "enhancement.txt". This seems to be a kind of TODO document for you rather than a readme document, right?

-Was the copy protection really necessary? I'd make that an option in the config, under [enhancement] :P

-I got stuck on the copy protection screen. It lagged so immensely I didn't manage to type the word it needed, and had to kill the program and restart it. Next time I just typed it immediately and pressed enter, and while it still lagged, it didn't actually freeze the input like it did last time, probably because I was fast enough to prevent whatever causing the massive lag to get to that point.

-The 'units outside the viewed area go slower' rule seems to still be in effect. Can you change that property on all units so they all get full cycles outside the viewed area? I think only the harvester has it enabled by default

-Savegames only show up when named as consecutive numbers. Can you fix that?

-Could you make a cfg option under Enhancements to make units reveal their full sight range on every cell they enter? I always find myself spamming the move commands on my scout units after every cell they move just so they'd reveal their full sight range.

Control:

-The queueing for buildings is magnificent. Not a single C&C game has ever done building queueing. The placement shortcuts make it really handy to use. I can queue all concrete slabs for a foundation, and the building right after it :)

-The zoom in and out keys don't work if you use the num pad versions, which are the ones I normally use for [+] and [-] as control keys. Zooming itself as feature is beautiful, though :)

-Could you disable the automatic deselect the game does after giving a few commands through the buttons / shortcuts?

-The selection box fails to select if I release the mouse after hitting a border and my mouse is technically out of the screen.

-Just discovered right-click commands. Neat, Would've preferred them on left mouse button, but still, neat :)

-Infantry takes 'move into building' as default command for right click on an enemy building. Might be better not to do that.

-Units use Move as default command on Spice blooms. Can you fix that?

-In combination with the queuing function, it'd be cool if the construction yard's sidebar icon doubled as 'place it' button without having to scroll to the item you built

-Could right-clicking on a unit's sidebar icon center the screen on that unit? In the original game right-clicking anywhere would center the screen on that spot.

-The num pad seems to act as scroll pad. Could you make it support holding down keys though?

-Could you make it so clicking the icon of a unit in the repair bay ejects it, so you can get a unit out that gets stuck in there due to low credits?

Sound:

-Infantry units give no SB response sounds as they used to. I know from making my Dune II Editor that the responses to use are a property of the unit action objects.

-The sound cracks a bit from time to time. Not sure if this can be fixed. Doesn't seem to be a CPU issue since it happens on the main menu too.

-The game plays both the Sound Blaster and digitized effects. This is pretty weird for weapon sounds. I figured out that it's controlled by the "enable_sound" and "enable_effects" in the settings. I would disable "enable_effects" by default. On a related note, "enable_sound" is a terrible name. It looks like a global option to disable or enable all sound in the game. "enable_sb" or "enable_sounds" seem more logical as name.

-For some odd reason, when selecting multiple units and then using the command buttons or shortcuts to give an attack or move command, I get a weird sound of a missile hitting sand, while the other 2 options give a nice 'click' sound.

-Could you add support for the Sega Megadrive music?

-On that note, why isn't mp3 supported? :(

Graphics:

-I remember there being separate crater graphics for rock. It seems to always show sand craters now.

-Units can't seem to explore the outer edge of the map. I suppose this is done as wraparound reveal fix, but, if so, it should still allow revealing one cell outside the actual playing field.

-Units sitting on the outer edge don't show a health bar. This seems to be related to a logic that stops drawing it when they go under shroud, so fixing the previous issue should fix this.

-Could the health bars still be shown on the edges of the shroud though?

-Sandworms vibrate all the time, even when sitting in one spot, which looks really odd.

-If the strings file contains it, could an "Upgrade needed" text be shown on the greyed out icons of construction options that need an upgrade?

-Could the current completion percentage of an interrupted upgrade be shown under that "Upgrade needed" text on these construction options that need the upgrade? The percentage should only be shown if the upgrade is started, unfinished, but not currently running.

That's it for now :)

• Upvote 2

Hm. Sorry for the triple post, but, last one was my review post.

The dune2k downloads seem to be largely broken, but for anyone who's interested, I managed to get the FED2k MT-32 music pack from archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081120003856/http://www.dune2k.com/Downloads/26

(And good lord, are they beautiful. Wow.)

[edit]

Small remark on the site; it says on the subject of the savegame folder

On Windows this will be something like:

C:\users\nobody\Application Data\Dune Dynasty\save

That's true on Vista/win7, but on WinXP it'll be "Documents and Settings" instead of "users".

Some more bugs:

-Cancelling the intro play still plays the whole intro music on the main menu. It should abort and switch back to the main menu music right away.

-The ingame Mentat screen keeps showing a piece of playing field on the bottom of the screen instead of clearing it with black. It also doesn't get centered like the briefing does.

-On resolution 3/4 (nearly completely zoomed out), zooming in the top bar makes the graphics look weird.

-The Dune 2000 AUD files crash the game on startup, despite their files list showing them as bare .aud files. This crash occurs even if the setting for them is disabled. Converting them to .ogg solves this (though I took the stereo mp3 versions I had lying around as source for creating the .ogg files instead).

I noticed that instead of using the Dune 2000 tracks as expected, though, with Dune 2000 menu and score music, it just added them in between the ambient tracks from time to time.

On a related note, there's no way to determine which audio to use if multiple packs are added and enabled. This could be done by making the sound pack a single setting in dunedynasty.cfg, which simply tells it which subfolder in the game folder to use as music source. The folder should then contain a config file (I'd simply call it "music.cfg" in each folder) specifying which tracks to use for which scenes ingame. Then you simply put the music.cfg files in the premade folders for the packs you already support. This system would also allow anyone to configure their own music packs.

In that case you may want to add a fallback music pack setting too though, for packs that don't contain stuff like the very specifically-timed intro track. An empty setting, or one referring to a folder that either doesn't exist or doesn't contain a music.cfg, would fall back to inbuilt midi (if midi drivers are available).

[music]
MusicPack=fed2k_mt32
DefaultMusicPack=d2tm_mt32

Suggestion for the music.cfg file format:

(empty or missing entries in the file for MusicPack would fall back on those of the DefaultMusicPack, and after that to internal midi)

[EDIT] Updated to incorporate the volume modifications from dunedynasty.cfg [/EDIT]

[Scenes]
Logo=dune2_mt32_00_4,0.65
Intro=dune2_mt32_00_2,0.65
MainMenu=dune2_mt32_07_13,0.65
Conquest=dune2_mt32_16_23,0.65
HarkonnenMentat=dune2_mt32_07_09,0.65
AtreidesMentat=dune2_mt32_07_10,0.65
OrdosMentat=dune2_mt32_07_11,0.65
HarkonnenWin=dune2_mt32_08_11,0.65
AtreidesWin=dune2_mt32_08_10,0.65
OrdosWin=dune2_mt32_17_21,0.65
HarkonnenLose=dune2_mt32_01_4,0.65
AtreidesLose=dune2_mt32_01_5,0.65
OrdosLose=dune2_mt32_01_6,0.65
Plotting=dune2_mt32_16_24,0.65
HarkonnenEnd=dune2_mt32_19_23,0.65
AtreidesEnd=dune2_mt32_19_21,0.65
OrdosEnd=dune2_mt32_19_22,0.65
Credits=dune2_mt32_20_22,0.65

[Ambient]
1=dune2_mt32_01_3,0.65
2=dune2_mt32_01_7,0.65
3=dune2_mt32_02_8,0.65
4=dune2_mt32_03_9,0.65
5=dune2_mt32_04_10,0.65
6=dune2_mt32_05_11,0.65
7=dune2_mt32_06_12,0.65
8=dune2_mt32_09_13,0.65
9=dune2_mt32_09_14,0.65
10=dune2_mt32_18_24,0.65

[Action]
1=dune2_mt32_10_17,0.65
2=dune2_mt32_11_18,0.65
3=dune2_mt32_12_19,0.65
4=dune2_mt32_13_20,0.65
5=dune2_mt32_14_21,0.65
6=dune2_mt32_15_22,0.65

(I think these values are all correct for the Fed2k MT-32 pack. I added the mystery bonus track dune2_mt32_01_3 to the Ambient ones.)

Another suggestion: PLEASE make it try to read the cfg from the game folder to check for a Portable setting, which would make it read everything from the game folder. This is an awesome game to carry around on my USB memory stick.

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys. I've added a bug tracker and entered up most of these. Please check the tickets tagged as Severe on the left panel to find things to avoid:

https://sourceforge....ynasty/tickets/

Does it support the fixed reinforcements syntax of the Dune II v1.07 fix? IIRC, OpenDune did.

Do you mean the repeated reinforcements when the line ends with '+'?

-Was the copy protection really necessary? I'd make that an option in the config, under [enhancement] :P

-I got stuck on the copy protection screen. It lagged so immensely I didn't manage to type the word it needed, and had to kill the program and restart it. Next time I just typed it immediately and pressed enter, and while it still lagged, it didn't actually freeze the input like it did last time, probably because I was fast enough to prevent whatever causing the massive lag to get to that point.

The copy protection actually accepts all answers, but I guess this isn't very obvious. I'll look into the lagging issue though.

-In combination with the queuing function, it'd be cool if the construction yard's sidebar icon doubled as 'place it' button without having to scroll to the item you built

-Could right-clicking on a unit's sidebar icon center the screen on that unit? In the original game right-clicking anywhere would center the screen on that spot.

The 'P' key will trigger the place it button, and clicking on the unit's name will centre on the unit (or, rather, it centers on the squad). I don't mind adding an action to the unit icon, but right-clicking on it seems odd, and would rather not stack them both on left-click.

-Infantry units give no SB response sounds as they used to. I know from making my Dune II Editor that the responses to use are a property of the unit action objects.

-The sound cracks a bit from time to time. Not sure if this can be fixed. Doesn't seem to be a CPU issue since it happens on the main menu too.

-For some odd reason, when selecting multiple units and then using the command buttons or shortcuts to give an attack or move command, I get a weird sound of a missile hitting sand, while the other 2 options give a nice 'click' sound.

I don't have any of these problems. The units say "reporting", "yes sir!", "acknowledged", "infantry out", and "moving out" when using a-click, m-click, or right-click (although it does seem to occasionally miss a sound).

- The ingame Mentat screen keeps showing a piece of playing field on the bottom of the screen instead of clearing it with black. It also doesn't get centered like the briefing does.

Could you recheck this. If the menu screens are centered, then the mentat screen should also be centered. Not sure why I decided to show the top and bottom of the screen though.

- On resolution 3/4 (nearly completely zoomed out), zooming in the top bar makes the graphics look weird.

The zoom levels are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, and 3x, so the second zoom level will naturally look worse than the others. Not sure if that's what you mean by weird.

-The Dune 2000 AUD files crash the game on startup, despite their files list showing them as bare .aud files. This crash occurs even if the setting for them is disabled. Converting them to .ogg solves this (though I took the stereo mp3 versions I had lying around as source instead).

Could you try this with the original Dune 2000 AUD files. It might something about the AUDs generated, although I haven't really tested the AUD support in windows.

Music config: For now, you can disable music packs in the [music] section of in the config file, and disable individual files in the [music/directory] sections by setting the volume to 0 or lower. The values are listed in the sample config file. This probably isn't as easy to configure as it could be, but should be okay if I make an options menu.

Thanks again for the very helpful suggestions!

• Upvote 1

Do you mean the repeated reinforcements when the line ends with '+'?

Indeed. I saw something about repeating reinforcements in the config file, but I wasn't sure it meant that.

I don't have any of these problems. The units say "reporting", "yes sir!", "acknowledged", "infantry out", and "moving out" when using a-click, m-click, or right-click (although it does seem to occasionally miss a sound).

The odd rocket sound only seems to happen when I got multiple infantry units selected. It doesn't happen when actually clicking on the map to give the command, but when selecting it from the sidebar (by either clicking the button or pressing A or M).

The responses seem to break because I used the files from the v1.07 fix. Odd.

Could you recheck this. If the menu screens are centered, then the mentat screen should also be centered. Not sure why I decided to show the top and bottom of the screen though.

Whoops. The menu at the top integrates with it so flawlessly I never noticed. You're right, it's centered.

By the way, I seem to get SCRIPT ERROR popup boxes on later levels when opening the mentat.

Wait... wasn't OpenDune made on the HitSquad version rather than the EU version? That could explain this. Your readme said to use the EU version, but there are 2 EU versions.

The zoom levels are 1x, 1.5x, 2x, and 3x, so the second zoom level will naturally look worse than the others. Not sure if that's what you mean by weird.

Ah, ok. Well it's just that the resizing seems to shift half a pixel and becomes different when the top bar is enlarged.

Could you try this with the original Dune 2000 AUD files. It might something about the AUDs generated, although I haven't really tested the AUD support in windows.

The AUD files I tried were originals. I just used those MP3s for making the .ogg files.

Music config: For now, you can disable music packs in the [music] section of in the config file, and disable individual files in the [music/directory] sections by setting the volume to 0 or lower. The values are listed in the sample config file. This probably isn't as easy to configure as it could be, but should be okay if I make an options menu.

My issue is that it's unclear what exactly happens when multiple are enabled, as is the default. I played a bit more now and think I got the Dune 2000 main menu at one time. So I take it it randomizes between the music sources whenever a track starts to play, then?

Thanks again for the very helpful suggestions!

No problem. I love this :)

The odd rocket sound only seems to happen when I got multiple infantry units selected. It doesn't happen when actually clicking on the map to give the command, but when selecting it from the sidebar (by either clicking the button or pressing A or M).

Okay, confirmed this bug.

By the way, I seem to get SCRIPT ERROR popup boxes on later levels when opening the mentat.

These shouldn't be harmful, as the scripts will get reloaded. I think OpenDune is prone to this too, but I'll look into it at some stage. I'll disable the popup boxes in future releases though.

Got a bit of a problem on win7....

I haven't tested if vanilla OpenDune has the same issue, mind you.

The buttons in the Mentat screens seem to be missing too.

That's interesting. Only the things in the .ICN and .SHP files are missing. I don't have win 7 to test on though.

Aside: I guess this thread should be moved into Other Dune Games.

Control:

-The queueing for buildings is magnificent. Not a single C&C game has ever done building queueing. The placement shortcuts make it really handy to use. I can queue all concrete slabs for a foundation, and the building right after it :)

Well, just to be fair, Dune Legacy already had exactly this feature in v0.91b2.

The responses seem to break because I used the files from the v1.07 fix. Odd.

That's because the US version uses the original unit speech file names, while the three-language version adds a prefix to distinguish between the speech file names for different languages. Thus, a file called REPORT1.VOC in the US version becomes ZREPORT1.VOC in the European releases etc. (Z is the English language prefix, G and F are for the others).

NOTE: To avoid confusion, the prefixed file names are used in both three-language versions (known as EU and HitSquad) without any difference.

Aside: I guess this thread should be moved into Other Dune Games.

Seems more like something for Dune Editing, IMO. At the core, it's still Dune II. This seems more on par to what I'm doing with C&C95 (except you got source code, lucky bastard :P).

btw, I updated my proposed music config above to support the volume adjustments in dunedynasty.cfg

Well, just to be fair, Dune Legacy already had exactly this feature in v0.91b2.

But it wasn't based on OpenDune, was it? :P

That's because the US version uses the original unit speech file names, while the three-language version adds a prefix to distinguish between the speech file names for different languages. Thus, a file called REPORT1.VOC in the US version becomes ZREPORT1.VOC in the European releases etc. (Z is the English language prefix, G and F are for the others).

NOTE: To avoid confusion, the prefixed file names are used in both three-language versions (known as EU and HitSquad) without any difference.

But... I used the EU version folder :-\

Seems more like something for Dune Editing, IMO. At the core, it's still Dune II. This seems more on par to what I'm doing with C&C95 (except you got source code, lucky bastard :P).

:D

But... I used the EU version folder :-\

The EU VOC.PAK from 1.07-fix works for me (i.e. "arrakis" folder). Maybe you used the "dynasty" folder?

For the record, OpenDune is based on EU, and not HitSquad--it has left-justified in-game menu items, and says "Load Game" in the main menu. (I made it use "Load a game" if the "Load Game" string doesn't exist though.)

While we're on sound effects, does anyone know if v1.07 lost the soldier squishy sound? The file is there but it doesn't get played, it always plays a scream instead. It's not listed here either:

http://forum.dune2k....i-v10-and-v107/

well, can't test it now, seeing as it doesn't seem to run well on my work laptop (and that's the only PC I got now, seeing as I'm staying at my sister's place for a few days).

That's interesting. Only the things in the .ICN and .SHP files are missing. I don't have win 7 to test on though.

On a related note, I installed Dune Legacy on my usb key, so the setup I tested on on XP and on Win7 is exactly the same.

Well, I did try out this program with the files from Dune II v1.07 (and with the 1.07 patch fix). However, after playing an hour of some great returning gameplay, every time I exited the program, I got this error message:

error.jpg

The executable of Dune Dynasty was still being seen in the processes tab of the Windows Task Manager after I exited the program with an error message.

While we're on sound effects, does anyone know if v1.07 lost the soldier squishy sound? The file is there but it doesn't get played, it always plays a scream instead. It's not listed here either:

http://forum.dune2k....i-v10-and-v107/

Hmm, I did suspect that before but never bothered to test that thoroughly. Theoretically, one can look through the OpenDUNE code and see if the sound is used.

Well, I did try out this program with the files from Dune II v1.07 (and with the 1.07 patch fix). However, after playing an hour of some great returning gameplay, every time I exited the program, I got this error message:

The executable of Dune Dynasty was still being seen in the processes tab of the Windows Task Manager after I exited the program with an error message.

I can't reproduce this error. Does this problem come up when you have a soundfont set, or none set, or in both cases? And does this problem really only come up after extended play?

Hmm, I did suspect that before but never bothered to test that thoroughly. Theoretically, one can look through the OpenDUNE code and see if the sound is used.

Unfortunately, the soldier death sounds are played from the unit script, so all you see in the code is

Audio_PlaySoundAtTile(STACK_PEEK(1), position);

I tried substituting in the script files from v1.0 but still no squish. ???

Edit: squishy sounds present in v1.07, but not in OpenDune.

I can't reproduce this error. Does this problem come up when you have a soundfont set, or none set, or in both cases? And does this problem really only come up after extended play?

The game I downloaded was as it is. The Dune II v.1.07 files were as it is. IDK if that crash issue upon exiting had anything to do with the music configuration.

I also have a problem with the custom sounds ingame (for example: Dune 2000 audio). When I put them in and configue the "DuneDynasty.cfg" file (disabling all types of MIDI music and enabling the Dune 2000 music), when I load the program it works but the new audio isn't replaced with the real one (still hearing the MIDI). When I load a new game or save game, the game crashes with an error. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Did you actually disable the game's own midi? When I edited my config file those lines weren't in it, but they can be found in the example config file in the game folder.

As I already remarked though, the system is rather unintuitive. It seems enabling a music source makes the game randomize between all available sources for each track (which is why I think a primary source with fallbacks is more user friendly). Also note that since the D2k music isn't complete, you'll probably be missing a LOT of music if you disable the internal midi.

Hmm Dynasty... could you explain why I still hear music after explicitly disabling all music sets?

I even hear Dune 2000 music on the main menu, so it's clearly not a case of reverting to internal midi, either. As far as I can see, the settings don't seem to be used at all.

[music]
dune2_adlib=0
dune2_c55=0
fed2k_mt32=0
d2tm_adlib=0
d2tm_mt32=0
d2tm_sc55=0
dune2000=0

These music settings are really dodgy IMO...

It might something about the AUDs generated, although I haven't really tested the AUD support in windows.

Just noticed this... you seem to say this as if you expect some kind of native AUD support in Windows...

[edit]

Some more bugs:

-Constructions still go On Hold indefinitely if you try to repair the producing bulding and run out of money

-After starting construction of a unit on the Hi-Tech factory and cancelling it, the factory remains on its Producing frame until a unit is actually built and completed. I noticed this by using the v1.00 icon.icn and icon.map files to restore their normal production animations.

-Any right-click command on sand sets the harvester to Harvest

-When using the v1.00 icon.icn and icon.map, the power plant purple didn't switch to its normal blue animation as it should.

-clicking the name of the unit in the sidebar will center on the selected team. However, adding units to the team with SHIFT breaks this, and makes it center on just one unit.

And a few more requests:

-After playing some more actual Dune II, I noticed I'm really starting to miss the centering function of the left mouse button. Couldn't you move the commands to the right button, like C&C does? It's kind of the predecessor of TS' right mouse button scroll after all.

-Could mouse scrolling work for scrolling the constructions bar even if the mouse is not over it? There aren't any other scrollable things in the game anyway.

-I realized there's no place to actually see the cost of upgrades. Could this be shown on the greyed out units needing it, as the large view does in Dune II?

Hmm Dynasty... could you explain why I still hear music after explicitly disabling all music sets?

I even hear Dune 2000 music on the main menu, so it's clearly not a case of reverting to internal midi, either. As far as I can see, the settings don't seem to be used at all.

These music settings are really dodgy IMO...

It's supposed to work as you described earlier, but I made a mistake where, if it didn't find the volume, it didn't disable the music either. I kind of like just putting a bunch of files in and letting it pick one. But, like you said, it should automatically supplement any missing songs with a default music pack.

Just noticed this... you seem to say this as if you expect some kind of native AUD support in Windows...

It is supposed to play AUD files rather than cause the game to crash, yes. I made a dumb mistake and also forgot to test it in Windows.

-After starting construction of a unit on the Hi-Tech factory and cancelling it, the factory remains on its Producing frame until a unit is actually built and completed. I noticed this by using the v1.00 icon.icn and icon.map files to restore their normal production animations.

-When using the v1.00 icon.icn and icon.map, the power plant purple didn't switch to its normal blue animation as it should.

v1.0 data files aren't supported, and might cause the game to crash in some cases. I would like to restore the hi-tech and repair facility animations at some stage, just not right now.

-Any right-click command on sand sets the harvester to Harvest

This was done intentionally so that harvesters would go back to work after crushing soldiers. Right-clicking on rock, however, orders it to move (e.g. to avoid sandworms). Right-clicking in fog shouldn't issue attack or harvest commands though, this is a bug.

-After playing some more actual Dune II, I noticed I'm really starting to miss the centering function of the left mouse button. Couldn't you move the commands to the right button, like C&C does? It's kind of the predecessor of TS' right mouse button scroll after all.

The controls are loosely based on RA3, and right-mouse drag will eventually scroll the map. It's just that the original widget system doesn't work well with dragging. It's also the cause of other bugs like not handling mouse releases outside the window, auto-scroll not working sometimes, selection box sometimes remaining active, etc. It really could do with an overhaul, and after that I can think about adding left-click orders. Things are better with keyboard repeats and faster auto-scroll though.

-Could mouse scrolling work for scrolling the constructions bar even if the mouse is not over it? There aren't any other scrollable things in the game anyway.

Mouse wheel was planned for zooming the viewport. (This has been implemented now.)

Nice :)

On 10/8/2012 at 2:18 AM, dynasty said:

It's supposed to work as you described earlier, but I made a mistake where, if it didn't find the volume, it didn't disable the music either.

Well, the generated config file in the settings folder never seems to contain that. I didn't know these volume settings existed until you mentioned them, because I never looked at the example config; I assumed it would be about the same as the generated one I found.

Anyway. I noticed you mentioned the animations for the repair facility and Hi-Tech factory in the Tracker, so I thought I'd give fixing them a go. I made an edited version of the 1.07-EU icon.icn and icon.map files to add the missing cells and configure them in the correct frames.

I don't know how they act as loose files in Dune II itself, but for Dynasty, just dropping them in the data/ folder does the trick (worked for the 1.00 version at home anyway). Note that I haven't tested them yet, since I'm currently at work (I made the files on the train on my laptop) and as you know, my Win7 laptop somehow refuses to show the tiles.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune2patch/rep-hi-fix.zip

[edit]

version with faster Heavy Factory 'production ended' animation:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/dune/dune2patch/rep-hi-hv-fix.zip

[/edit]

Note that I chose this method over simply replacing them with the 1.00 files (which works too) because

-in savegames, graphics tilesets won't match the saved data. For buildings, clicking them refreshes this, but existing 1-cell rubble cells left behind by destroyed turrets would irreversibly get the graphics of a part of the repair facility for the rest of the mission.

-as I mentioned before, the purple on the windtraps somehow didn't animate if I used the 1.00 version.

As I said though, this is currently untested. I'll give it a go when I get home.

[edit]

On 10/3/2012 at 3:37 AM, dynasty said:

The EU VOC.PAK from 1.07-fix works for me (i.e. "arrakis" folder). Maybe you used the "dynasty" folder?

Wait, how exactly does it have the "Building of a Dynasty" intro and title screen if it uses the "Battle for Arrakis" version? :|

(no wonder I confused them...)

[edit]

Tested my fix, works wonderfully, both in Dune Dynasty and in the original game :)

Edited by Nyerguds

Nice job Nyer! ^_^

I wonder why the windtrap glow effect from v1.0 doesn't work... Some palette changes between the versions? (I only know that the Fremen colour scheme had been made brighter in v1.07.)

Wait, how exactly does it have the "Building of a Dynasty" intro and title screen if it uses the "Battle for Arrakis" version? :|

(no wonder I confused them...)

Now I'm confused too, are you talking about something being wrong in the fix, or in Dune Dynasty?

Dune Dynasty uses the files from the EU Battle of Arrakis version, and yet it shows "The building of a dynasty", both in its intro and on the title screen. That's not from your fix, is it?

I'd think that the game wouldn't HAVE the "building of a Dynasty" intro WSA :|

I'm using the 1.07 EU Dune II with the "ARRAKIS" folder from the 1.07 fix. (For the record, I was indeed using the wrong one before, which is what messed up the voices before)

That's because I restored the voices and strings in the code. Notice the lower case "a". Dune 2 will always be "The Building of a Dynasty" to me. :)

The windtraps don't animate in Dune Dynasty because the icon numbers changed between v1.0 and v1.07, and I hard coded those numbers in.

The icon files are great. I'll look into the hi-tech factory bug.

Thanks also for the 32x32 window icon which I pinched for the executable. I can only use one window icon at the moment though, so I've kept the 16x16 icon since that one is seen more often, and, somewhat counter-intuitively, scaling up looks better than scaling down.