Engine Acceleration and Reliability Chart

I remember seeing this chart way, way back in the day, but now I can't find it.

Does anyone have a chart that shows the order of Acceleration & Relaiability for the engines?? I need to know the order so I can choose between the TGVx, Shinkansen Bullet, and the TGV.

Thanks!

Thanks, Gwizz, but that's not what I am looking for. :D

I'm looking for the chart that shows the progression of acceleration & Relaiability from atrocious to outstanding.

I can never remember the order. I also remember that PopTop had this chart but I can't find it.

• 3 weeks later...
"I thought there was also a chart for acceleration that ran from atrocious to instant."

Atrocious was used for locomotive break downs. It is part of the Loco info pg. on page #7 above of this thread.

But I also remember a chart, I believe may have been done by a player. I may have misfiled it. I'll keep my third eye open when I'm looking in my CD backup storage. :)

Atrocious was used for locomotive break downs...

Those words come from the language file (so they can be different in each country). Because the lang file is plain text, it can be edited with simple text editor. The numbers will stay the same in the EXE, but you can attach whatever names you want to the levels of accel etc. I play a game in which locos have ratings like "Lethargic", "Slothful" and "Is it moving yet?"

The real accel factor is a number (used as a divisor). In my mod package, I include a spreadsheet with accel given as some arbitrary number divided by the accel factor.

It might be interesting to sort of crowd-source a list of the best engines by era. I don't think I've ever seen a comprehensive list of someone's (let alone a number of people's) rankings of the various locos, and I would be intrigued to see which locos the various people here who are much better at the game than I prefer.

My basic progression (in North America) for most trains:

Rocket, John Bull, Prussian, American, 8-Wheeler, Atlantic, Pacific, Pacific again, GG1, GG1 again, Eurostar

Notable heavy freights:

Mikado, Ae 8/14, E111, Brenner

I also use E60CP for low-priority freight on level track because its acceleration is better than the E111

As you can tell, I go electric as soon as the GG1 appears.

I use the GG1 the most, since I use the 1930s as a starting dates for most of the maps I play for a win.

When I play just for fun: I delete the win golds, I change loco speeds and other loco data and try different locos for the different jobs.

The 2-8-0 is slow but I feel trackage of that time made the 2-8-0 a most valuable loco. in its' time line. So I use it a lot as well.

I seldom use diesels.

I love the 2-8-0 as well.

I think the game definitely screwed up by making the GG1 so bloody fantastic. It makes electrifying, especially at the time it becomes available, worth way too much versus what the actual costs are. Otherwise, given the slate of diesels that become available in the '40s, there would actually be a reason to go and stay diesel until the E111/Eurostar show up.

Often I play without letting myself use the GG1. It's too good. It's a gamebreaker.

As for the Mikado, I'm not so fond of it. I need more than two hands to count the number of times, especially when I was a newbie, I bought too many of 'em impressed by their speed and reliability, and ended up bankrupt. They're extremely costly, so much so that you need high-value freight to make 'em worth using. And usually what ends up happening is that my high-value freight is being delivered by Atlantics already (once the Pacific has become available and I don't need them for pax).

I love the 2-8-0 as well.

I too use the Consolidation when convenient, but I don't trash my 8-Wheelers before their time.

I think the game definitely screwed up by making the GG1 so bloody fantastic... It's a gamebreaker.

Agreed. In my modded game, I took the GG1 down a peg in reliability, and it's still fabulous. My theory is that its longevity created the disconnect. A late '60s perfected GG1 gives us the stats, but the game makes it all available in 1935. I wonder if the original 1935 GG1 was as fast, powerful and reliable as the last one built.

As for the Mikado, I'm not so fond of it. I need more than two hands to count the number of times, especially when I was a newbie, I bought too many of 'em impressed by their speed and reliability, and ended up bankrupt.

I don't buy Mikados to make money. I buy limited numbers of them to haul prodigious quantities of strategic heavy freight. "Strategic" is defined by my scenario. In my US History scenario, my track-building costs can be greatly reduced if I create steel and lumber surpluses. That has me using a few Mikados to haul huge iron and logs trains. I might also use a couple Mikados to lift pax/mail from coast to mountain (e.g. from San Francisco to Reno Transfer).

Agreed. In my modded game, I took the GG1 down a peg in reliability, and it's still fabulous. My theory is that its longevity created the disconnect. A late '60s perfected GG1 gives us the stats, but the game makes it all available in 1935. I wonder if the original 1935 GG1 was as fast, powerful and reliable as the last one built.

It still seems otherworldly good. It's fantastic at everything. It takes an engine five times as expensive (and less reliable) in order to best it at passenger service, and even in that case the Eurostar can't handle grades nearly as well. If the GG1 were half as good in real life as the game makes it out to be, it would still be being made.

There are plenty of bizarre quirks to the engines in RTII, though. Too many to list, really. I wish it was more easily moddable. I wish TGVs didn't break down more often than mid-19th century locomotives, and could go up hills half as well as them, too. I wish there were low-cost, excellent on-grades locos in the modern era. I wish there was a half-decent passenger diesel in the modern era, too. Or a useable electric before the GG1 showed up.

quote name='GuineaPig'

I think the game definitely screwed up by making the GG1 so bloody fantastic. It makes electrifying, especially at the time it becomes available, worth way too much versus what the actual costs are. Otherwise, given the slate of diesels that become available in the '40s, there would actually be a reason to go and stay diesel until the E111/Eurostar show up.

Often I play without letting myself use the GG1. It's too good. It's a game breaker.

Yesterday I was able to talk to an Electric locomotive historian at our RR convention in Seattle.

He said at first the Electric locomotives were very efficiency. But, much of RR management didn't like electric Locomotive since their boards didn't have control of Electric companies.

They were used mostly in tunnels or where steamer smoke was objectionable. They were better than the steamer in many ways.

As the use of electricity increased by the public, demand overtook supply. Electric charges increased and Electric companies wanted the RRs to help pay for costly upgrades.

At this point in time, many RRs were struggling financially. They couldn't buy enough Electric locomotives to meet the increasing demand of their customers to move their goods.

The diesel was available but still was less efficient even with the increasing cost of electricity. But the future looked like electric costs would continue to increase. So the diesel was bought instead.

So maybe the GG1 was that good. But, I agree it use in the game need to be controlled. My thought would be the need to continually supply power stations with fuel to keep the GG1s running.