Dune 2000 - Simple guide to play multiplayer

Shaokhan

Playing over CNCNET

Spoiler

Cncnet is currently most updated and optimized way to play Dune 2000 over the internet.

In order to play, a Cncnet client is needed (created by FunkyFr3sh):

https://cncnet.org/

And the game itself is hosted by Gruntlord:

http://gruntmods.com/?page_id=19

Playing over Hamachi

Spoiler

Downloading and installing the game and Hamachi network emulator

First off all you need to download and install the game including a new launcher, the latest versions are available here

Just follow the instructions including Hamachi installation. Everything should be self-explanatory. This version installs Dune 2000 as well as Hamachi which provides the LAN emulation.The launcher has the option to play over LAN or Internet. If you are not sure which one to play on, ask on the Hamachi chat.
Also after installation on Windows 7 users should set Hamachi as Home network or if advanced users can set it properly then as any other.
After it is installed and set up, you need to join a network, which is where people can talk to others, like a chat room.

Joining Hamachi network

Currently no subscribed (up to 256 members) Hamachi networks are available for Dune 2000. Only free ones can be used with couple users.

Note: Network names and passwords are case sensitive.

Also note that if you close the client without using the power off button or do not open the Hamachi client after Windows startup, you will be still listed in the player list on Hamachi. It is for this reason that some players will not reply to you, because they never see the message.

Playing over LAN

You run the game by opening the launcher and clicking on the LAN button. A new box should appear that asks to choose an IP address. The correct address should always start with 25. To double check, this number should be listed next to user's name in Hamachi client. After selecting the correct address, the game starts. In menu go to Multiplayer - LAN, and that is where you can compete with other players. But of course they must be inside the game as well, if they are only on Hamachi, you will not be able to see them on LAN. If there is an issue of seeing someone else on LAN, then it is most likely incorrectly set up firewall and it is blocking communication. Advanced users should set it up so they can play while it is on. If you really have no idea how, you can try disabling firewall while playing and it should work.

Playing over the in-game "Internet" button

Spoiler

This is how the multiplayer part of this game has been played initially. When the game came out, multiplayer server was hosted by Westwood, which was taken down after the company started having financial issues. Subsequently the server software was taken over by https://xwis.net and re-hosted, but the server bugged and nobody fixed it, so after installing the original game people can connect through Internet button, but it will disconnect within 1 minute. For this reason, it's been made possible to host own server. This is possible with software used also for other old games, called PVPGN. More information about it can be found here. Currently no PVPGN servers are hosted, so this method cannot be used right now unless someone decides to host this software on their server.

To play by this method, simply click on Internet button. In the game go Multiplayer - Internet and choose your nickname and password. By pressing connect you will register the name in case you connect correctly to the server.

Other methods

Spoiler

To explore other ways of playing online like Tunngle, Gameranger, TCP-COM, Kali, Langame++, PvPGN (but almost no active players and/or more complicated to get it to work), you can check out this thread Dune2k - The Ultimate Guide to Multiplayer Game

Edit History

Spoiler

EDIT (2013-08-04): Updated main Hamachi network as the old one for 256 members is no longer being subscribed, this new network has a limit of 32 members, if there is need for more, it can be extended.

EDIT (2014-02-06): Changed the post to reflect the release of a new launcher made by FunkyFr3sh.

EDIT (2014-08-23): Changed post to reflect newest changes - PVPGN Alman Internet server no longer available and most games are played over Dato's Hamachi network.

EDIT (2014-11-06): Reflected changes of Dune 2000 being available on Cncnet and the end of Dato's (Deviator's) network subscription.

EDIT (2016-01-20): Removed not working links and explained play over internet in more detail and changed play over Hamachi text.

EDIT (2017-02-07): Fixed CNCNET link.

Edited by Shaokhan
  • Upvote 1

He said it very clear. Those guys u see in hamachi need to open the game and join LAN in order for you to see them and play with them. If they join and u dont see them, see above about firewall or contact me or shao for assistance.

Btw, thanks to retronline admin for his network! Keep up the good work!

• 2 months later...

Hey, new player incoming! xP I installed hamachi, lanpatch and 1.06 version of dune but im getting problem: " this is a spawned game, u need cd.. etc" I got 64bit Windows 7 and i couldnt find working crack for that. Need help, thx!

got it working.

How active is this game nowdays ? havent seen anyone in days..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having problems getting the LAN button to show in dune (multiplayer  menu). I  downloaded the patch in order to have version 1.06  and I also downloaded the LAN patch, and installed hamachi. Everything seems to work, except I don't see the LAN button in dune. Can someone help me out? 

I'm having problems getting the LAN button to show in dune (multiplayer  menu). I  downloaded the patch in order to have version 1.06  and I also downloaded the LAN patch, and installed hamachi. Everything seems to work, except I don't see the LAN button in dune. Can someone help me out? 

You probably have win7 or vista. Run the registry keys from the game folder, corresponding to the architecture of your OS (32 bit or 64 bit).

• Upvote 2

Thank you, it turns out that I overlooked a detail. I did not install the DLL file, anyways i'm online now! Is the lobby normally empty? 

Yea, unless we are arranging a match in the main chat and we all go lobby. It's a LAN lobby not a dedicated server so when ppl don't play its empty :D

Now i'm having another problem, when I want to play dune I select the IP from hamachi. I then go into LAN, all I see is Dune 2000 lobby, that's it. I tried to play a game today with some guys but they were unable to see me and I them. Does anyone know what could be the issue?  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much. It works like a charm on Windows 8 64 bits ! I've tested a Lan game (not through hamachi) between 2 computers with success !

Just one question :

I used the patch from this link : http://thingamabob.eu/dune2k ?

What is the difference with this release : http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/24242-dune2000-online-game-patched-for-hamachi-no-more-crashes-habb-erg-2-map-included/ ?

The question : If I update my game to version 1.06 and apply the patch provided here (http://thingamabob.eu/dune2k), is it ok ? Or shall I nevertheless use the version provided on this page ?

i have the same problem....
Now i'm having another problem, when I want to play dune I select the IP from hamachi. I then go into LAN, all I see is Dune 2000 lobby, that's it. I tried to play a game today with some guys but they were unable to see me and I them. Does anyone know what could be the issue?  

Turn firewall off.

• 2 weeks later...