Dune3000 (Java) Beta test

Kumul

well i need to learn my lesons up for building my game i just need to come to this post. dune2k ai sux hence thinking of remaking and enhancing the 'dune2k xperience'. this guy here already began while im at tech lvl 0. hence i need to learn from this post and you guys.

You cant tell if a game is balanced or not without playing it online.

This dispute does not make sense. I played online, but less, because:

1) People change game speed to maximum value

2) Many network problems

I know 2k balance perfectly, I've seen a lot of videos on youtube. If you want, play against

me at normal speed (d2k v1.02), server will neutral side, to protect against cheeting.

Honesty above all. ok?

He doesnt get it. That match wont prove balance. If u talking about online matches vids u should its unbalanced from those; fast proof: nobody plays ordos vs atr . But yea, I'll play against you if u want, of course. Now lets end this.

Oh nice some more programmers around! After MVI reisgned we are really in need of you guys :D

I'd have some suggestions to make this game something better than dune2k.

- make sure u give some new units to each house and remove some of them or change attributes/names/dunno. This gives the game variety. If you don't want to, then idk, but considering u said it's main purpose it's online then balance is priority # 1 :) Is NOT something easy to achieve, but maybe having a brainstorming topic about this subject may help.

- make sure the network code will be better than dune2k's

- would be awesome if you could remove the unit spamming feature (building 1 bilion units then fighting with huge armies) ; this feature was bad in dune2k mainly because it KILLS any kind of tactic or strategy, while playing online the main purpose is to build more units than your enemy and control better. There are NO TACTICS at the moment (i'm playing it online, I know what I'm talking about)

Finally, I really like this project and I hope it will be a success. Keep up the good work :D And don't hesitate to ask us if u need opinions. Best way to make a mod/game is to know what ppl want :) Good luck!

Good suggestions thanks. i will evaluate.

How long you work on it? (In total)

Fog of war, this is a dark area on the map.

How long you work on it? (In total) => until i die ;)

FOW must be, you right.

No, just little disagreement.

Kumul, sorry for off topic...

No problem, just be cool guys (:

Give your units the statistics that you think are good. Don't copy the existing game with exact numbers. And after some testing, just rebalance by people's opinion. Design with a clear mind. It helps if you make sure every race has the same amount of choices in units. By putting them in a paper chart and filling in the boxes, you will know if every counter has been made. It also helps to keep the income for every map the same. Alterations in income greatly change tactics.

Dune2k is only unbalanced if you don't know how to deal with Sonic tanks ;)

The AI knows by accident that it has to use Missile Tanks :) It is just not using enough for creating chaos so that it would succeed in killing some. But the sonic blast is too powerful indeed against all other units.

Give your units the statistics that you think are good. Don't copy the existing game with exact numbers. And after some testing, just rebalance by people's opinion. Design with a clear mind. It helps if you make sure every race has the same amount of choices in units. By putting them in a paper chart and filling in the boxes, you will know if every counter has been made. It also helps to keep the income for every map the same. Alterations in income greatly change tactics.

The AI knows by accident that it has to use Missile Tanks :) It is just not using enough for creating chaos so that it would succeed in killing some. But the sonic blast is too powerful indeed against all other units.

Thanks for your advice.

Preferably dont add FOW, or put an option to turn it on/off depending on player's choice.

Yes i updated the game but i didn't release.

I will release when major updates. (now i am working on my other projects.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Matthias M.

Thanks for your advice but i just write my all codes on my own.

Some develop news:

I am writing a game engine in JAVA started 1 mouth ago, and the game is now working very effectively. (game speed is same on all computers and not slowdown)

The game speed is up to %90, all variables is very dinamic now for use in "Map editor" and "Camping editor"

I will release "beta" soon.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Duneproject3.jpg

Hi Dune2k!

I released a new beta test for the game (RELEASE 2)

Log
Changed: wrote new game engine
Added: Radar Map scroll (drag screen with radar MOUSE_LEFT)
Added: Multiselect for unit selection(press and drag the mouse in game for draw rectangle for select units)
Added: Order units in Factory que(when a new unit is created in factory then the other units in factory que, gives to new units a free grid for move)
Added: Move units with press radar area(when select units in game then if you press radar with MOUSE_RIGHT the units will move to there)
Added: MoveScreen with keyboard (UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT arrow keys)
Added: "E" key for select current screen units
Fix: Radar active fixed

And more minor changes.

Press "ESC" for quit game.

I released this second release for talk with you for develop with together and find bugs in game.
Please report the game bugs in here.
This release is just for find bugs so you could use different events and combinations for find bugs.

There are 2 game mod in file "Windowed mode" and "Fullscreen mode"
Please report to me your "GPS", "FPS" and "FREE" values for speed up the game for both mods.

I am waiting your positive and negative reports.

Thanks.

Download (RELEASE 2)
  • Upvote 1

Duneproject4.jpg

Release 3
Added: Show unit and building healths (Press and hold to "Q" Key)
Added: Show unit and building healths on current mouse coordinates
Added: Silos and spiceCapacity activated
Added: "SHIFT" key added for add unit in selectedUnitArray
Changed: Building and unit health colors changed
Changed: Building and unit right left mouse key synchronized
Fixed: Menubox visible fixed
Fixed: Mouse current status fixed (Sell, Repair etc.)

Press "ESC" for quit game.

I released this third release for talk with you for develop with together and find bugs in game.
Please report the game bugs in here.
This release is just for find bugs so you could use different events and combinations for find bugs.

There are 2 game mod in file "Windowed mode" and "Fullscreen mode"
Please report to me your "GPS", "FPS" and "FREE" values for speed up the game for both mods.

I am waiting your positive and negative reports.

Thanks.

Download (RELEASE 3)

http://www.kumulistan.com/us/java/duneproject.html