Dune3000 (Java) Beta test

Kumul

(My English is poor)

Hi dune2k :)

I am a game developer, i started a new project like dune2000 strategy game in java. (Not opensource project) I called it "Dune3000" for the time being.

I will update the game every 2 weeks or less. The game is using Dune2000 graphics for now.

There are many bugs in game. I hope you feedback the game bugs to me during developing game.

All code are programming by myself. And i need game graphicer, if anybody want to draw game graphics please contact with me.

The game screen is same with Dune2000 because of Dune2000 graphics:

Duneproject1.jpg

Notes:

The game requires java for run. (http://www.java.com)

The game is running "fullscreen", press "ESC" button for quit game during in game.

When download the game please unpack all files to your desktop.

Be sure "Dune3000 beta 1.jar" file and "images" folder at the same folder.

Download:

The game at attach.

Please feedback to me for bugs and your suggestions.

Thanks.

Dune3000 beta 1.zip

• Upvote 2

New beta test is available.

Duneproject2.jpg

Notes:

The game requires java for run. (http://www.java.com)

The game is running "fullscreen", press "ESC" button for quit game during in game.

When download the game please unpack all files to your desktop.

Be sure "Dune3000-24-07-2012.jar" file and "images" folder at the same folder.

Many things added to game.

There are enemys on North-East, first camping is eliminate the enemies.

There may be many bugs in game. Please report them to me for develop.

Have fun.

http://www.kumulistan.com/java/duneproject.html

Download:

At attach.

Dune3000-24-07-2012.zip

• 3 months later...

Are you still ongoing with this project? It's really nice :)

i can work on this project when i am free. So i am busy at these days, i can update game for short time.

But i will always update this game if nice feedbacks and until i die :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am just curious but why is the units black in colour?

There is no reason for use black color. just it is :)

And u should download "second beta", its blue color. (in my second post, not first post)

why not use existing game assets?

Because there is not one image for any unit. The game unit graphics is isometric draw.

So in my game i just rotate the unit graph from center. But in Dune2000 the unit graph shows consecutive draws not one.

For example: Dune 2000/Data/Ui_gfx/Uianim.bmp

Java? :laugh: How many units this engine will support? (ie moving units, without brakes\lags\etc...)

Do you plan to add multiplayer? FOW? Smooth map scrolling? Mass units select\order?

The maximum size of the map?

Not opensource project

Imho, this is not relevant now, too few fans. Not cherish hopes about this realization, but very interesting...

P.S: Don't hit for my grammar, it's stupid Google translator...

Java? :laugh: How many units this engine will support? (ie moving units, without brakes\lags\etc...)

Do you plan to add multiplayer? FOW? Smooth map scrolling? Mass units select\order?

The maximum size of the map?

Imho, this is not relevant now, too few fans. Not cherish hopes about this realization, but very interesting...

P.S: Don't hit for my grammar, it's stupid Google translator...

Java is not an efficient language for games. i just start on it, the game will be C++ soon. (i just writing the game algoritms on java not for play (: )

How many units this engine will support? => it will be infinite units like Dune2000

Do you plan to add multiplayer? => Yes of course, it is my main purpose

FOW? => What is FOW?

Smooth map scrolling? => it can be, but my main purpose is algoritms not GUI

Mass units select\order? => it will be.

The maximum size of the map? => This is 128X128 square now, but it can be more huge soon.

Now i just want to programming myself because there is not enough codes for open project.

It is not open project yet i can be soon.

The game efficiency can change on different computers because of JVM,

Sometimes game is fast sometimes game is slow.

In my computer the game speed is like Dune2000 speed, but when you download, it can be different speed.

How long you work on it? (In total)

FOW? => What is FOW?

Fog of war, this is a dark area on the map.

Do you plan to add multiplayer?

. . .

Yes of course, it is my main purpose

. . .

The maximum size of the map? => This is 128X128 square now, but it can be more huge soon.

Great

Now i just want to programming myself because there is not enough codes for open project.

It is not open project yet i can be soon

Open architecture is not necessary. Importantly - free.

P.S: I'm programmer too ;)

Oh nice some more programmers around! After MVI reisgned we are really in need of you guys :D

I'd have some suggestions to make this game something better than dune2k.

- make sure u give some new units to each house and remove some of them or change attributes/names/dunno. This gives the game variety. If you don't want to, then idk, but considering u said it's main purpose it's online then balance is priority # 1 :) Is NOT something easy to achieve, but maybe having a brainstorming topic about this subject may help.

- make sure the network code will be better than dune2k's

- would be awesome if you could remove the unit spamming feature (building 1 bilion units then fighting with huge armies) ; this feature was bad in dune2k mainly because it KILLS any kind of tactic or strategy, while playing online the main purpose is to build more units than your enemy and control better. There are NO TACTICS at the moment (i'm playing it online, I know what I'm talking about)

Finally, I really like this project and I hope it will be a success. Keep up the good work :D And don't hesitate to ask us if u need opinions. Best way to make a mod/game is to know what ppl want :) Good luck!

- make sure the network code will be better than dune2k's

ahahaha! :D exactly.

MVI reisgned

Sorrowfully. I think MVI can rewrite 2k. He is an experienced coder...

would be awesome if you could remove the unit spamming feature

2k has ideal balance, in large and small battles, imho. Necessary condition - the standard game speed,

(which by default, not full speed, this is stupid). Default game speed ~ 60-65%, like playstation version.

Completely different game at different speed. Faster speed - less tactics. It's my view on this problem.

Normal speed does help indeed, but it's not the ideal balance. Dune2k is well known by all ppl of being unbalanced (again, this is about multiplayer, fighting vs AI doesnt mean anything). Take C&C Tiberian Dawn ( C&C 95 ) ; see the speed of the tanks, they r much slower than d2k which makes inf more useful. Then the fact that when harv drops its cargo in the ref u dont get so many income + the fact that things need a bit more to be produced disable the unit dpam of d2k, enabling different tactics for each side. It's not like in dune where ur main objective is to get ur special tanks asap. :) i always mention C&C 95 cuz in my view is a good example for balanced & strategical gameplay.

aKaFedaYkin, ok, ok, but d2k and C&C - are very different games. Compare them - improperly.

I also can compare with other strategy games, but no sense.

The good opposition - this is when match not being accomplished in 10 minutes.

5-10 hours hard game - most optimal for intriguing&exciting match.

Dune2k is well known by all ppl of being unbalanced

Disagree...

fighting vs AI doesnt mean anything

Agree, AI in d2k very, very and very stupid. Good AI must be:

1) Honest (no money cheats, correct build speed, doesnt known the location of enemy)

2) Literate (choose the right place to build; support own allies; scouting;)

3) Unkillable (Take positions on the continents; protect harvesters; good placement of units)

4) Not monotonous initial tactic

This is common defects. Of course imho :happy: ...