UEFA 2012

Edric O

Well, it has been awfully quiet around here. I know it tends to get that way in the summer, but maybe we can fight the trend. :)

So, is anyone watching the European Football Championship? I'm watching the Greece vs. Germany quarter final as I type this - the most politically charged game of the year, no doubt. I don't care how small their chances are, I'm cheering for the Greek team. GO ΕΛΛΆΔΑ!!! :P

And here I thought all football fans were gone from this forum.

The result was the expected one. Honestly, I didn't like the way we played in the first half, yes we were expected to adopt a defensive setup but it smacked of desperation as opposed to the solid performances of euro2004. I preferred the second half even though we ended up conceding 3 goals we showed a bit more of a fighting spirit. Keeper had bad day, kept spilling the ball, Maniatis asleep in second goal. Karagounis absence was really felt.

Anyhow, I wouldn't say no to an upset, but I 'm not fussed. Being the underdog gets old, it eventually grows tiresome watching a game and watching the balls whistle past your goal while your own players look incapable of a single dribble. Czechs played in a similar abysmal manner yesterday, Chelsea won the cl in similar fashion, I don't mind watching some real football now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not actually that much of a football fan. I just watched the most interesting games and hoped that other people would talk about it more if I started the thread. That did not turn out to be such a great plan...

With regard to the Greece vs. Germany game, I agree, the second half was far better - in fact, the two halves were so different that it was almost watching two separate games. Greece may have taken a lot of goals in the second half, but it played better and went out fighting.

I was disappointed to see that the semi-finals didn't have any new or surprising teams in them. I'm tired of seeing the same teams (more or less) always making it to the last stages of these championships. At least Italy managed to give us a moderate surprise by beating Germany. I wasn't looking forward to the Spain vs. Germany final that everyone was predicting.

So, I'm watching the final now. The score currently stands at 1-0 Spain vs. Italy. The game is finally starting to get interesting, with the Italians stepping up the pressure. Let's see what happens.

1837948_w1.jpg

Spain become the first country to win 3 major trophies in a row.

Biggest score in a European championship final.

I believe they haven't conceded a goal in the knockout stage of a major tournament since 2006.

Only Portugal came close to eliminating them because they were still playing half-heartedly. When they put their mind to it they 're leagues ahead, whether ones likes their style or not.

As for the last 4, I do think the 4 best teams were there. Though in retrospect we had better games in the group stage than in the knockout. The four teams eliminated in the quarter went out rather passively and among them Greece was the only one that scored :D

Wow... I really had not expected the final to be such a smackdown. Italy didn't stand a chance, and Spain looks pretty much unstoppable now. Everyone will be scared to fight them 2 years from now in the World Championship. There's talk of them being "the best national team in football history."

Balotelli was furious at the end, I thought he was going to storm off and not come back.

So... you think Spain will finally get around to putting some words to their national anthem now? Maybe something about football? :P

In other news, one of the songs played repeatedly at the ceremonies before and after the game was "Heart of Courage" by Two Steps from Hell. The same song that was used for the Mass Effect 2 trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-Gkf4ORfA