OpenD2k - cross platform reimplementation of Dune 2000

Matthias M.

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently having trouble identifying all the sprite sequences for the sandworm https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/5159 Can you help us? Simply install the latest playtest release. OpenRA ships an Asset Browser in the Extras menu. Type DATA.R8 in there and scroll through images. We already match a lot of them https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/tree/bleed/mods/d2k/sequences to actual units, but still there are some mysterious unidentified ones.

You know what I agree 100% with Feda, just make concrete an option. (Which 95% of Players including me will keep off :P)

Why not just balance concrete so that it functions better (lower cost, faster build times, faster building deterioration)? It seems like it would be withing the spirit of the project to try and change the game while staying true to its roots.

• Upvote 3

Faster building would be annoying, but I agree that lack of it should affect deterioration more.

Isn't the main problem that it takes too long with no reward? If the buildings crumpled like paper without it and it was easy to lay down quickly it would encourage players to use it as intended. You always have vanilla dune if you feel like playing the EXACT same game over and over on the same maps. I think as long as they keep the spirit of the game they should be free to tweak it to be more modern.

Now tell me an argument for not making concrete an optional feature at the start of the game.

It would encourage players to play without it? I can understand turning off worms because they are random influences on the outcome of the game, but turning off something like concrete doesn't seem right. It should either be something you use or something you ignore with a price (very weak buildings), rather then something you turn off and ignore entirely IMO.

They can do whatever they want since its their mod, but as long as its a multiplayer-oriented mod, if they want to fix things that didnt work well in original MP they'd better make it optional. Thats my opinion.

Right now theres no "price" u gotta pay for not using concrete. There is a "price" for USING it actually, which is defeat against any decent opponent.

Dude idc about the "spirit of dune", im not playing this to feel like in the books (since its not the same, hint: ordos and many more), im playing this to have fun and that comes with good gameplay. This aint singleplayer, this aint AI smashing, its not about nice looking or sexy bases, its about multiplayer, about being faster than ur opponent besides good eco management and unit/map control. First come play with us online, and after come to tell me here that "concrete is the spirit of dune". Last few days some new players showed up on the server and i worked hard to get rid of their concrete habbit which was making them have 10 tanks in 8 minutes (vs the shitloads of vehs non-concrete players got).

If concrete is "part of dune" and is "a rule for dune games" (aqib's quotes) why emperor: battle for dune doesnt have it anymore?

This the input you'll get from the multiplayer playerbase, so it's up to the mod team to decide. I've gave enough arguments for it. I'm not gonna kill myself if I see concrete in openra lol, it's ok, but then ill probably just stick to original since it got good game speed :)

Dude idc about the "spirit of dune", im not playing this to feel like in the books (since its not the same, hint: ordos and many more), im playing this to have fun and that comes with good gameplay. This aint singleplayer, this aint AI smashing, its not about nice looking or sexy bases, its about multiplayer, about being faster than ur opponent besides good eco management and unit/map control. First come play with us online, and after come to tell me here that "concrete is the spirit of dune". Last few days some new players showed up on the server and i worked hard to get rid of their concrete habbit which was making them have 10 tanks in 8 minutes (vs the shitloads of vehs non-concrete players got).

If concrete is "part of dune" and is "a rule for dune games" (aqib's quotes) why emperor: battle for dune doesnt have it anymore?

This the input you'll get from the multiplayer playerbase, so it's up to the mod team to decide. I've gave enough arguments for it. I'm not gonna kill myself if I see concrete in openra lol, it's ok, but then ill probably just stick to original since it got good game speed :)

Quite frankly the online in this game is boring. It's a very stale Meta that doesn't change. You act as if the meta is the only thing to the game, and if you insist that is the only way to play eventually everyone will get bored and move on to a better RTS (like starcraft).

RA has even less thimgs and variety and is very popular. I'd suggest actually playing it online before saying its boring lol

Alright lets end this as its not going anywhere :D just making kinda off-topic. Its up to the devs to decide from now on.

One more point..

If as Feda says there should be no concrete, then rename the mod to fit the purpose..

It has deviated from dune..

The original purpose of concrete is specified as a stable ground for construction..

If there is no stable ground the building should 'sink' over time, which is not used in any dune game..

I suggest opend2k to use this 'sink' effect.. After a building sinks it disappears and can't be used again and has to be rebuilt..

It'll definitely spice up the game and oh, buildings don't need all the concrete specified by the icon only half of it..

Which half can be decided by the dev and kept it a secret..

The players will have to find it out..

Make the multiplayer challenging and give it that 'dune' feel..

The harshness of the surroundings should be felt like in emperor..

This might be good in a way..

When a game has easy elements it becomes boring fast.. Also when it's too hard..

Balance it out and you'll have a great masterpiece..

RA has even less thimgs and variety and is very popular. I'd suggest actually playing it online before saying its boring lol

Alright lets end this as its not going anywhere :D just making kinda off-topic. Its up to the devs to decide from now on.

I've watched enough discussion about it to compare it to other games. It's a world apart from where it should be at.

I thought the whole point of the topic was to get the player's opinion?

They can do whatever they want since its their mod, but as long as its a multiplayer-oriented mod, if they want to fix things that didnt work well in original MP they'd better make it optional. Thats my opinion.

Right now theres no "price" u gotta pay for not using concrete. There is a "price" for USING it actually, which is defeat against any decent opponent.

Right, which is why it's never used in the original game, it wasn't balenced properly and a result the playerbase ignores it's existence (not what the original developer intended).

• 3 weeks later...

At https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA everyone can be a developer. It's not like this is some kind of Kickstarter alpha forum where we solely collect ideas from paying customers and you are doomed to solely consume. =) You can change the game, too. Just send a pull request. Tweaking the balancing is a matter of editing text files. Have a look at the http://wiki.openra.net/Modding-Guide

Anyway I was just visiting to announce http://www.openra.net/news/release-20140608/ which again comes with some cool Dune 2000 engine related improvements.

• Upvote 2