OpenD2k - cross platform reimplementation of Dune 2000

Matthias M.

The "removal of aspects" is just because I have not yet implemented it. I was completely new to C# and game design when I started this. Which reminds me of the #1 request: the worms. Does anyone know which sprites (in DATA.R8) they use when moving through the sand. I only found the electro zaps yet.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I decided it is time to tease you again. The next playtest release will have new tiles drawn my Harisson which include rock on rock cliffs for more sophisticated map layouts.

post-23138-0-42766800-1389457947_thumb.p

Also the sand and rock terrain randomization will be enabled for the d2k mod, too. This drastically improves clear terrain map rendering in terms of less wallpaper pattern effects. The Atreides grenadier plus the ramps and white houses from the 1.06 patch have been added, too now. Paul is currently working on concrete tiles which can be placed in-game by the player as in the original.

• Upvote 3

I decided it is time to tease you again. The next playtest release will have new tiles drawn my Harisson which include rock on rock cliffs for more sophisticated map layouts.

Also the sand and rock terrain randomization will be enabled for the d2k mod, too. This drastically improves clear terrain map rendering in terms of less wallpaper pattern effects. The Atreides grenadier plus the ramps and white houses from the 1.06 patch have been added, too now. Paul is currently working on concrete tiles which can be placed in-game by the player as in the original.

Very nice. Excited that the game is progressing. Once you add those features on your TODO list I would be happy to try it out again (along with faster gamespeed)

Im very happy with the progress you make. Just wondering one thing - will you try to make this mod look more like old Dune 2000 in terms of graphics? I mean, the special effects, units movement, zoom. I played this mod andenjoyed it, but still couldn't feel the real Dune 2000. I dont know how to put this, I just miss the atmosphere this game created.

Well I rather meant the Missile and rocket effects. Also, the Siege tank shell is different.

I always lacked a medium-speed time ratio in Dune 2k. When I play against CPU on the beginning I use the fastest speed, but when it gets hotter I slow it down, so I can control the battlefield and base defence.

I recently installed HD pack to Dune 2k and I found out the 1024-768 version is the most suitable for me (my desktop resolution is 1280x1024). There could be a little zoom in your mod.

Go to Settings → Advanced → [x] Enable Asset Browser. Restart the game. Click Asset Browser. Search for file DATA.R8 → Load. Search through the file with the slider below. Then tell me the correct sprite for missile and rocket effects as well as the siege tank shell. You can try it in-game by editing OpenRA/mods/d2k/sequences/misc.yaml with the discovered frame numbers.

You can go to Settings → Graphics → [x] Pixel Doubling for some retro low resolution effects which equal to 2x zoom.

Nice work man! But with OpenD2K at least, all the infatnry death soudns can be heard at maximum volume no matter where your screen is centered - there could be hundreds of soldiers shooting each other on the other side of the map, and you'll hear the gun shots accordingly softer, but when they die their screams are heard at full volume as if they were present within your current view.

• Upvote 1

Yep, there is 2D positional sound done with OpenAL which also fades out. Report it at http://bugs.open-ra.org if it does not work for many death screams at once.

I just did a play through and I have to say I feel concrete should be included even if the majority of players do not use it as it is a characteristic feature of dune. I also noticed theres no way to upgrade buldings and they seem to use a modified tech tree to reflect this. Was this an intentional design choice or just a temporary solution?

I agree, the concrete mechanic has always fitted well with the wild nature of the planet. It seems suiting that you have to give your buildings strong foundations otherwise the harsh environment will weaken them.

I just did a play through and I have to say I feel concrete should be included even if the majority of players do not use it as it is a characteristic feature of dune. I also noticed theres no way to upgrade buldings and they seem to use a modified tech tree to reflect this. Was this an intentional design choice or just a temporary solution?

We don't have it implemented right now https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/3211

I agree, the concrete mechanic has always fitted well with the wild nature of the planet. It seems suiting that you have to give your buildings strong foundations otherwise the harsh environment will weaken them.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2249 looks like we want this now and Paul is actually working on it, but we currently lack hard values like how much is the maximum corrosion and how fast does the building loose HP in the original game.

• Upvote 3

in dune 2000 when building is not on concrete it starts with half life..

as the number of concrete increases the health bar increases till it's full when concrete below is full..

note some buildings don't use all concrete writen in the game..

ie: wind trap uses four when it's written 6 in the game..

when we repair a building it repairs till it's full and degrades back once you stop repairing it..

Ok, so a newly placed building half on concrete will start with 75% health. Does it then decrease down to 50% (at half the rate than if it was entirely off concrete?), or does it stop degrading at 75%? Either of these would be easy to do in OpenRA, but I'd prefer that we did it right the first time around.

Ok, so a newly placed building half on concrete will start with 75% health. Does it then decrease down to 50% (at half the rate than if it was entirely off concrete?), or does it stop degrading at 75%? Either of these would be easy to do in OpenRA, but I'd prefer that we did it right the first time around.

no.. it won't degrade anymore..

half concrete= 75% life

no concrete=50% life

as the percent of concrete varies the starting life varies..