OpenD2k - cross platform reimplementation of Dune 2000

Matthias M.

Wow, TS? nice, can't wait to see that one as well.

Btw, in the TD mod when a nuke is launched there is no EVA announcement, sometimes I don't even know what happened with my base lol, I tried to change TMPL nuke settings, extracted the original TD nuklnch.aud (the nuke announcement) and put it in bits folder but it still didnt work. How do I fix that?

• Upvote 1

Btw, in the TD mod when a nuke is launched there is no EVA announcement, sometimes I don't even know what happened with my base lol, I tried to change TMPL nuke settings, extracted the original TD nuklnch.aud (the nuke announcement) and put it in bits folder but it still didnt work. How do I fix that?

Thanks for the report. Should be fixed with https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/3705

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our September release is another huge jump, with over 1,100 changes and improvements by 17 authors.

The headline changes in this build are:

• Refined Fog of War behavior (buildings and ore/tiberium/spice are now frozen as they were last seen).
  • Added game options for starting units, starting cash, team construction, shroud, fog of war.
  • Reworked engineer behavior - C&C again uses the “classic” behavior, and RA/D2K external (C&C Generals style) capturing.
  • Overhauled firing, projectile, and explosion effects for all mods.
  • Native support for the D2K game files, significantly improving the artwork and sound quality.
  • Fixed windows installer problems.
  • A lot more bug, crash, and performance fixes.

Please note that that OpenRA now requires GPU support for framebuffer objects. This should not be a problem for most computers manufactured in the last 5-7 years, but some older high-end GPUs may not work from this release onward.

The full list of changes is far too large to include here, so we recommend clicking through to the human-optimized changelog or full list of commits. If you’d like to get involved, the best point of contact is our IRC channel #openra (webchat).

This release also adds beta support for Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 assets. Work has started on an official Tiberian Sun mod, but we don’t expect this to be ready for several more months. In the meantime, modders can take advantage of the new voxel and shp(ts) support in their own projects.

20130915-explosions.png

D2K now uses the original translucent explosion effects.

20130915-lobby.png

The overhauled lobby interface offers several new game options.

20130915-ra2voxels.png

An early test showing voxel units in OpenRA (we have no plans on shipping this!).

7d1bce50-1ad0-11e3-9785-695dc29d1fdb.png

We have also taken this time to overhaul our website. It’s hot off the virtual press, so please let us know if you spot any typos or rendering glitches.

• Upvote 3

So you mean you support the D2K palette?

No, the d2k http://d2kplus.com/wiki/index.php?title=Palette_BIN was already identical to C&C formats and just renamed. We now support

• Upvote 1

Nice release, lots of nice features that I have been waiting for. Too bad people don't play C&C and dune, I couldn't play one single match of dune since it was released and i played only 1 match of C&C. People play the RA mod too much and I don't understand why.

• Upvote 1

and a small video review by aKaFedaYkin.

To answer his questions:
  • The Ordos deviator owner change is permanent.
  • Search Wikipedia/Google to find about what "ports" are. If you are behind a router that supports UPnP go to settings and check [x] "Enable Network Discovery (UPnP)", restart, "Create Game" and check [x] "Automatic port forwarding" to allow people to connect to your game. Otherwise http://portforward.com is your friend.
  • Hint: the AI is producing very effectively, but it will mindlessly throw everything it got towards your base after it amassed an army. Use long-range weapons like artillery and turrets against it. Don't let it grow strong as it builds and fires super weapons.
  • Upvote 2

and a small video review by aKaFedaYkin.

To answer his questions:

• The Ordos deviator owner change is permanent.
  • Search Wikipedia/Google to find about what "ports" are. If you are behind a router that supports UPnP go to settings and check [x] "Enable Network Discovery (UPnP)", restart, "Create Game" and check [x] "Automatic port forwarding" to allow people to connect to your game. Otherwise http://portforward.com is your friend.
  • Hint: the AI is producing very effectively, but it will mindlessly throw everything it got towards your base after it amassed an army. Use long-range weapons like artillery and turrets against it. Don't let it grow strong as it builds and fires super weapons.

Thanks. I should probably make a second video showing the observer menu and the translucent projectiles. If I forgot something else please remind me here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Again an update which might also interest Dune 2000 modders: http://www.moddb.com/games/openra/news/playtest-20131130 The new sandboxed Lua support allows you to create single-player missions and new game modes using the current industry standard scripting language for gaming. Also sprite loading and the asset browser have been improved.

post-23138-0-59852800-1385884762_thumb.p

• Upvote 1

http://open-ra.org/news/playtest-20131209/ is probably good news for all Dune nostalgics here:

20131209-d2-asset-browser.png

We now support most of the Dune II file formats. This is a screenshot from an unofficial fan project showing off our new asset browser and SHP(D2) sprites.

20131209-d2k-soft-spice.png

The soft edges in Dune 2000 spice tiles are now rendered properly.

• Upvote 2

Again an update which might also interest Dune 2000 modders: http://www.moddb.com/games/openra/news/playtest-20131130 The new sandboxed Lua support allows you to create single-player missions and new game modes using the current industry standard scripting language for gaming. Also sprite loading and the asset browser have been improved.

attachicon.gifd2k-asset-browser.png

Is it possible to support the existing .mis files?