OpenD2k - cross platform reimplementation of Dune 2000

Matthias M.

I recently saw some Germans streaming their OpenD2k games against bots on YouTube :) It's best to report problems to http://bugs.open-ra.org/ because more eyes including engine core developers have a look there and issues most likely also effect the other mods. The latest unstable versions features a massive change in the d2k mod contributed by the community. See http://www.moddb.com/games/openra/news/playtest-20130128 for the changelog.

• Upvote 2

I recently saw some Germans streaming their OpenD2k games against bots on YouTube :) It's best to report problems to http://bugs.open-ra.org/ because more eyes including engine core developers have a look there and issues most likely also effect the other mods. The latest unstable versions features a massive change in the d2k mod contributed by the community. See http://www.moddb.com/games/openra/news/playtest-20130128 for the changelog.

Great !

Hey Matt, I got some questions. 

Ok, I wanna add some new units to each house, for now 1 tank for each. I know there are some tuts on github but from what I read they didnt help me very much. And i dont have very much time to search for more, so could you please explain here easiest way to add units?

I want to add a Tesla Tank for ordos (from RA, keep the shp, unit model), a Stealth Tank for atr(C&C, same, keep models & shp) and a Flame Tank for harks (C&C one). But idk how to do it, and as i said i dont have very much time to read tons of tuts. The one on github didnt really help me very much. Can you please tell me what .yaml files I need to edit, what settings to put etc? I just want to import those units, so I guess some copy - pasting from RA and C&C modes to D2K would work? Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't add new units (except controlable ornis for atriedes) but I would modify the current ones.

And since I hate the weapon sounds in D2K, I would replace them with RA1 weapons sounds.

I would delete all the damn "same" units that d2k has... I hate having same units for each house. Modifying current units can be done on the actual Dune 2000 game so why do it on OpenRA, OpenRA is for adding new units, stuff which isnt possible in Dune2000 now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just pressed download button to be sure I will not do something wrong. Strange, I uninstalled downloaded again and now PC almost crashes (becomes unresponcive for a long time) when I launch OpenRA for first time.

Here goes the log:

Exception of type `System.NullReferenceException`: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at OpenRA.Mods.RA.RALoadScreen.Display()
   at OpenRA.ModData..ctor(String[] mods)
   at OpenRA.Game.InitializeWithMods(String[] mods)
   at OpenRA.Game.Initialize(Arguments args)
   at OpenRA.Program.Run(String[] args)
   at OpenRA.Program.Main(String[] args)

I will try on Windows XP on same PC and another PC when I have time. [Currently on Windows 7].

Good.

I also installed on Windows XP (on same machine) and Dune2000 MOD crashes again.

BTW:

On uninstall there remain leftovers in 'Documents' folder. Please fix it, it is poor coding practice. Ideally, a portable version that only writes in subfolders from where it is copied would by highly welcome.