Mod Tutorials

jacobdouds

Since a lot of people have being asking how to Mod, I suggest we make this.

If a moderator could sticky it? Then remove this line.

I would like everyone to add what they know in the clearist manner possible.

And anyone to ask qeustions as well.

Hopefully this will become quite comprehensive and large.

Enjoy!!

Turret Attaches - Make New Ones

To make new turret attaches you have to do a few things.  Now say the reason you are making this new turret attach is that you want to make a new unit, just like the Sonic Tank, but with less damage. First, you must look for a unit's gun turret in the rules.txt file. For the Sonic Tank, it's turret attach is [ATSonicTankGun]. Now what you do is copy all of the data from that reference, and paste it below it. For the sake of example, let's say that this is for Harkonnen. Now rename it to another name, it can be any name, for example lets rename it to [HKPulseTankGun]. Now go up to the top of the rules file until you find the declaration section. It will state all of the new things that you make. You will need to add HKPulseTankGun to that section. Now in that reference it states a bullet. For the Sonic Tank it is Sound_B. What you want to do is rename that in the reference to anything that is different. Let's use Pulse_B as an example. Rename it to Pulse_B, then find the reference for Sound_B. Copy it, and paste it underneath it. Then rename it's title to Pulse_B. Then place this name in the declaration section. Under this reference, you will find a statement that says that the warhead is Sound_W. You can rename this to anything you want. For example, let's rename it to Pulse_W. Now find the reference for Sound_W in the rules.txt file. Copy all of the data, and paste it below it. Now you can change the damage amounts to all of the armour! Each one of the variables under that list the amount of damage the unit will give that type of armour. Now change the title of the reference to Pulse_W. Next, add it to the declaration section. Now in the ArtIni file there is a reference for the bullet you changed, Sound_B. Find it, then copy and paste it below it. Then rename it to Pulse_B(the name that you renaed it to) and you're done.

When this is big enough, I will compile it into one big tutorial and upload it to Dune EditingOkay.A small bit.Everything new you make, or everything you remove, must be stated it the Declaration Section.ctrl+f 'Decl'This includes everything in the game, and everything must be added here.Add the name of your Unit/Building/Turret/Bullet/WarHead to the corrosponding place in the list.Also, this is the order that they show in the game for units and buildings.ATScoutATInfantryIngame, they come up in this order, if you change it aroundATInfantryATScoutThen the light infantry will appear first on the build list.

If you have added a new unit and want it to have a string (so you can see the unitname in-game, if string is a new word  :))

Open the 'Text Strings.txt' in the 'Strings' folder, but NOT open it in NotePad, because notepad mess up the whole modding prosess.

Open it in Word Pad or a other good editing program (be sure to save as txt format after you are finished!)

Making WordPad default txt editor (Win95/98 Don't sure if NT,ME,2000 and maby... XP):

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can open txt files for ever in Word Pad, if you click on the txt once. Then press Shif + RightMouse Button. You will then get up a dialog 'open with' (I think its so in English (

You have already described the basics of modding. But there is more. There are some special functions you can assign to your unit, but each unit can have only one.

Here are some and what they do:

MCV = TRUE (a unit that can deploy into a Con. Yard)

DeployInf = TRUE (if a unit has two guns, you can make it enable one gun and disable the other. )

Saboteur = TRUE (you must also type Resource = [the explosion you want to produce when unit is deployed])

Devastator = TRUE (same with saboteur)

APC = TRUE (the unit can carry 5 infantry)

AdvancedFremen = TRUE (type Resource = [unit you want the unit to become]. Wormride time at the top of the Rules.ini file defines how much time before the unit becomes again the original

There are much more TRUE/FALSE statements and most of them aren't deployfunctions so a unit can have more than one. I 'll post again later about 'em. I also haven't posted about the projector, the inflitrator, the NIAB and other deployfunctions.

Yes, most everything is set with a TRUE/False status For some reason, true is often in capital.

Most everything aside from stats like cost, speed, and build time are set by true false.

( This is for the below post )

ctrl+f 'new st' works well, or just new.

<|

must be stated it the Declaration Section.

ctrl+f 'Decl'

This includes everything in the game, and everything must be added here.

im not shure if you dont need to put it in both places but if you do ctr+f and typing in "impor" and it will come up as important and it will say all new units must be listed under here to preserve continuity

also: i assume that the strings . text is in the strings000001.rfh or .rdh which is uncompiled by dune ex2 from dune editing

---also---

rather important ones are the stealth and weapon disabled if deployed = true

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to make a Anti-Stealth Popup gun for my mod?

Alphabeta40000 said that the UnStealth = x dont work, and me and cybord did test it and, it are not working (But how does the scout see stealth?)

I need a UnStealth Tower, because im making one subhouse based on stealth and one on unstealthing units.

may not be of help... but the Ix infiltrator (spelling?) is supposed to reveal all types of stealth units cant u see what lines it has... and try using those. I like idea of turret or ADP that can reveal steath

UnstealthRange = 3 range at which it reveals units. (doesn't seem to work though)

Alphabetas work!

And i totally agree

Ay? You did what now?

Yes that does unstealth Units, turrets have it, and so do most units, but it isn't shown.