Community? (Me expressing myself again...)

So... I think we have done quite a bit trying to revive this game. I've got to say THANKS a bunch for Centner, Sjleo, Skynet and the rest who spread the word.... inviting new people; letting them know we are all here. And that there's a game that has a lot to offer still long forgotten by some, never known by many.

But I don't know.... I still feel there's a lot we need to do. It seems like its only me who cares about this kind of stuff... and a few, like atomicar, who's now organizing this tourney. But I see no interest on it from people. EVEN with a prize of 100 bucks for you to take.

Well I do.... I am starving to death, for real.

I would really want to start a whole new site (Guide for new players) I would really love to do a bunch of things that I can't really do because of course Its only gonna be me working on these things. If you have seen my previous posts; they are always LONG; I really take time to do things and I do it with heart. Such as my "Running Emperor on Linux guide".

I remember spending a bunch of time trying to make Emperor run in a system that was not meant to run any Windows games. I tried inviting players on my own, went to Linux forums... posting... posting with no avail.

I tried making tutorial videos, without the time for it.... I wanted to try everything cuz this game means a lot to me. I grew up with it. It started my passion for video games. It is what inspired me to study what I am studying..... and it is TAKING A LOT from me to walk in this path I chose to walk. As I mentioned before... I am starving for real. All the money is gone for tuition and rent. I barely have breakfast and lunch. Dinner only when I got the time and money available for food.

I am not exaggerating at all. I drink tea all day (cheap). EVERY WEEK I have someone asking me during class "Hey whats wrong? you look tired"

I want to get all the skills I need, trying to meet people, get contacts in the industry of video games.... so I can build up and gather everything I need to maybe work on a remake of this game. And I know, this might not be possible. Everyday I get deeper into understanding how the industry works, it makes me feel I will never get there on my own. But I am still hoping to get there. At least something very indie... I would die happy.

What I am really hoping for all of us to change a bit.... Is to work on making this a small and KOOL community. It really makes me sad, it feels disappointing to see new players coming here and form a "whole new community on their own".

I understand the language barrier.... but I see some with at least a basic and understandable level of English and they don't even try to communicate with you. I see very POOR quality of games. I have seen tons of times new players dying, double rushed or quitting all from a sudden... And I don't even know WTH happened. No "Help" No "HEY COME LETS ATTACK THE PLAYER IN THE TOP" .... no TEAMPLAY at all.

So once again, this is not about English, not about country.... Not about anything else other than just COMMUNICATION.

Untitled.jpg

Why? Because we are all divided into groups.

Seriously.... Chatting and teaching Centner when his English SUCKED BALLS was a pain in the ass. But hey it worked out.... Haha thanks there's the Russian/English translator. But now he improved a lot. It took time... we didn't even noticed at all.

I really wanted him to not leave the game... because of skill difference vs other players. We had a kool time working on his skills.... then we built up a friendly relationship. I learned a few words in Russian... Grew up interest in the country too. I saw his skills build up and now he is a good player. And I am very happy it happened that way. For the first time I did something good and I was successful doing it.

Old players.... WTH is wrong with you all?

I cant be like newlords: " GO GO GO GAME PLAY GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!"

come on? can you even say Hi?

Players now don't even wait for you or rehost when someone crashes; then we see everyody, end up wondering.... uhhh wheres this guy? uhhhh we need 1 more player! UH EVERYBODY IS AFK!!! THIS GAME IS DEAD I AM DOING SOMETHING ELSE.

The whole point is... come on, yeah we all know what we are here for, we all want to play. But at the end.... we are all what's left from this game. Without each one of us, this game would be nothing. I always leave.... and I always get back for more games, not because of the game play itself. But because of many things that makes Emperor a THE GAME from all of the games I have played.

If you managed to read the whole post, you will notice I am typing all nostalgic and stuff. I was never able to play well against the good players because of the slowest machines I always had. I remember when I had the first PC that allowed me to play EBFD decently, the game was already dying.... So... I always feel I was left with nothing.

• Upvote 2

Same with me. You said it all.

just one comment about the language barrier.

I remember Gunwound quote

" When an Elite plays with a weaker one as team, if he says nothing, that is just he plays harder because of taking compensate for weak ally."

That's not to me. I barely say in playing. That is my broken english. :-) I communicate with ppl in English though. How?

If somone greets to me, I just say HI. How's it going? That is not difficult. And even I dont understand what they talks about, I try to interpret the meaning, then I type ease English what I want to say.

I think Everyone knows the word "HI" "THX" " GG" That is enough words if you think about you re not good speaker.

• Upvote 1

So... I think we have done quite a bit trying to revive this game. I've got to say THANKS a bunch for Centner, Sjleo, Skynet and the rest who spread the word.... inviting new people; letting them know we are all here. And that there's a game that has a lot to offer still long forgotten by some, never known by many.

I would like to say thanks to gunwounds for standardising the game all the setts we play with today come from him, 10k , superweapons on , fisher plain as thee official map.

I would also like to say thanks to ra1024 for creating a wonderful server that people loved at the time.

i would also like to say thanks to youkolord for discovering hamachi even though people prefered ra server.

i would like to say thanks to voodoodaddy for hosting an emperor tournament back in 2008 won by spazelord.

i would like to say thanks to atomictit (my old silly nick) for re-introducing hamachi (thanks youko) when ra- server died.

i would like to say thanks to kindjal86 for all his efforts notably the video of emperor and linnox guide to run emperor on ur computer.

i would also like to say thanks to chetah for his programme he made so that emperor had a ladder.

i would like to say thanks to sjleo for running most of hamachi rooms at the time and for top 20 list of current emp players

i would also like to say thanks to centner for introducing us to tunngle which is a much better server than hamachi.

i would also like to say thanks to chaos who currently runs the top 20 list of current emp players.

i would also like to say thanks to viking who in my eyes since 2005 (when i started playing) has been this game biggest supporter playing week in week out non-stop. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, kindjal ... :]

I've tried tunngle etc, i cant seem to connect to all players properly, hearing message blips (miles : automessage) but cant see text etc.

games get hosted but every game i've tried to join has zero patience to let me connect..

There was a time, when a failed game was re-served, and the host spared time to reconnect.

Due to the lack of patience and fault tolerance of sorts, i don't think it's in my interest to engage with these players at all.

Really disappointing guys! I'm sorry i wasted my time on you.

Hey guys, kindjal ... :]

I've tried tunngle etc, i cant seem to connect to all players properly, hearing message blips (miles : automessage) but cant see text etc.

games get hosted but every game i've tried to join has zero patience to let me connect..

There was a time, when a failed game was re-served, and the host spared time to reconnect.

Due to the lack of patience and fault tolerance of sorts, i don't think it's in my interest to engage with these players at all.

Really disappointing guys! I'm sorry i wasted my time on you.

When was the last time you tried? You should try again... we havent had any issues playing at all.

Come back... let us help you troubleshoot the problem.

Tried and tried around a month ago.

The problem lies with the router, it's time for a new one soon anyway.

I dont think Tunngle likes NAT, and the router has no option to disable it.

The second problem, if you could call it a problem is, i'm not convinced i can get emperor to run at my native resolution anymore.

I've tried setting registry as required, however the game resets to default 640 480

What i'd like is something in the area of 6048x1080 or at the minimum 1920 1080... If i'm lucky, i can get maybe 1600 1200 from it before it creates problems :]

Help with that if you need to :P surely you've got some asian hakxx there thatl fix it good yea? :] jk

I'll look into a different router in the meantime to sort out this tunngle rubbish.

The second problem, if you could call it a problem is, i'm not convinced i can get emperor to run at my native resolution anymore.

I've tried setting registry as required, however the game resets to default 640 480

What i'd like is something in the area of 6048x1080 or at the minimum 1920 1080... If i'm lucky, i can get maybe 1600 1200 from it before it creates problems :]

Help with that if you need to :P surely you've got some asian hakxx there thatl fix it good yea? :] jk

I'll look into a different router in the meantime to sort out this tunngle rubbish.

The game is optimized for a 4:3 ratio... thats why you see it all stretched. If you change it to higher resolutions (if they are displayed in the game) the only changes your gonna see is the size of the texts when ur in the game.

You can go windowed mode if it bothers you to seeing the game all stretched. I got used to it though.

Just go to the game's shortcut and go to properties. Add -windowed -w xxx -h xxx after "C:WestwoodEmperorEMPEROR.EXE" (Just in case you dont know)

Like this: "C:WestwoodEmperorEMPEROR.EXE" -windowed -w 1600 -h 900

It wont go farther than 1280x1024 though..... and the mouse will go pass the window and you will be clicking the desktop during the game, and thats no good.

• Upvote 1

same thing here . tunngle dose not work , i played few games then it stopped working . i had enough bugs from this game anyway .

i have 10s of new games to play . i think vedio games dose not go backwords am sorry to say that but emperor was not

much of a hit when it came out and resulted in the death of westwood and dune games .

its surley not gonna be a match for new generation games . its way way back my gpu cant even play its low resultion

kindjal am sprry but all of us get obseesed by strange things somtimes , as long as they are not bad its ok i guess .

its strange to hear that a person like you cant find food . do you eat fast food or expensive ? why not try to buy

raw food materials like beans or so and cook it ? where do you live anyway ?

its common where i live in the middle east to see poverty and war , but i thought you are in a modern country .

just some ideas , you got great personality you can try to find freinds who needs money also and cook together ?

or hang out with some rich freinds :D

at your age dont be tierd its very imporetant that you get enough food as you grow up .

if you got ill now it will make problems for you all your life . after 30 yo food is not so important

same thing here . tunngle dose not work , i played few games then it stopped working . i had enough bugs from this game anyway .

i have 10s of new games to play . i think vedio games dose not go backwords am sorry to say that but emperor was not

much of a hit when it came out and resulted in the death of westwood and dune games .

its surley not gonna be a match for new generation games . its way way back my gpu cant even play its low resultion

kindjal am sprry but all of us get obseesed by strange things somtimes , as long as they are not bad its ok i guess .

its strange to hear that a person like you cant find food . do you eat fast food or expensive ? why not try to buy

raw food materials like beans or so and cook it ? where do you live anyway ?

its common where i live in the middle east to see poverty and war , but i thought you are in a modern country .

just some ideas , you got great personality you can try to find freinds who needs money also and cook together ?

or hang out with some rich freinds :D

at your age dont be tierd its very imporetant that you get enough food as you grow up .

if you got ill now it will make problems for you all your life . after 30 yo food is not so important

Emperor wasnt a hit not because it was a bad game, In fact this game had lots of potential. There were lots of other factors... It is common to see in the video game industry a game project shutting down because of how the company behind the game handle the business. Most of the time a new company buys the project or the entire company; how the new company manages the business this time, will determine the faith of those revived titles and new games to come. EA bought Westwood Studios... By saying this you already know that they had a different methodology when creating games.

Games that came out, were all rushed... Probably this is why we feel Emperor's interface kinda like unfinished. This reminds me of the example of E.T. for Atari... It was an anticipated game but it was a RUSHED project. I have tried to invite people to play Emperor... but they always end up wining about its graphics (Interface) its obviously not appealing....

I will never know the reason why Westwood Studios was sold to this evil empire; and will never know WHY Emperor didn't do so well; but these are the only reasons I can think of. To resume.... it wasnt because Emperor sucked. Old games graphics won't stop people from playing it. I play lots of OLD games; and I have lots of games installed, new and old including MMORPGs etc. And they all have something good on it.

Counter Strike, Starcraft are very old games now... I don't see people stop playing it. In fact no Battlefield games, no Call of Duty games all combined can beat the popularity of Counter Strike. I don't play it but its something to be amazed of.

I am starving not because I am wasting my money in fast food and buying things that I dont need. It is because I am studying in the U.S..... I am living in an expensive city, paying expensive university tuition costs ($3000 a month, its way too much for me), Materials that I need to use for the classes; Room rental is also very expensive (640 a month for a room, when I could get a decent apartment with $600 in Panama) Therefore I need to save money or starve to death because I dont have enough of it.

Where I lived everything was affordable.... Life was easier. I decided to come here because of my girlfriend and because of my passion for video games. Yes.... I am studying VIdeo Game Design and IT IS AN EXPENSIVE CAREER. It is even more expensive when you are not a citizen and you can't apply for a decent paid job.

I really don't care what people think about my Clan and Server project for this game now.... I already know there are lots who doesn't even care about it. I might succeed or probably not, but we will never know for sure if we never try it.

It is a good experience for me because it is related to what I am studying anyways. You will be surprised how many teachers with 25 years of experience in the industry don't even have a clue on how to create a server. One of the teachers was an ex employee of Westwood Studios... he encouraged me to do this. That made me happy.

By the way Spicy... I am glad to read about you.

• Upvote 1

thanks i have never failed my friends here , i even went to tunngle but it dosnt work .

but to be honest my last come back wasnt a lot of fun , i was playing skyrim and rage and

lots of newer nice looking games . my gpu didnt even recognized the low screen resolution

of emp . the games you talked about have players because they where more famous when they

came out . and also because they are still making new games of their series

like red alert and warcraft and other games they keep making new stories the problem with

dune is that the novel is the same and nothing new happens only remake after remake .

so that is another weak point .

i dont know what is wrong with ea and what its a common sense for everyone to attack them

while everyone is playing their games .

also i dont think i am into hard core online gaming anymore am not feeling well and there is

war in Syria where i come from .

i play some with single player games but not that much its been 3 months for me in skyrim .

its good you are doing the right thing by investing in this school . why dont you eat with your

girl friend then ? she is that bad cooker ? just an advise you dont need to starve at your age .

and dont be a hater to EA they gave us a lot . maybe you will be an important worker

at EA and make a new dune game to unite us all again at our beloved arrakis

these songs are for you and to the souls of children's dying in my country

thanks i have never failed my friends here , i even went to tunngle but it dosnt work .

but to be honest my last come back wasnt a lot of fun , i was playing skyrim and rage and

lots of newer nice looking games . my gpu didnt even recognized the low screen resolution

of emp . the games you talked about have players because they where more famous when they

came out . and also because they are still making new games of their series

like red alert and warcraft and other games they keep making new stories the problem with

dune is that the novel is the same and nothing new happens only remake after remake .

so that is another weak point .

i dont know what is wrong with ea and what its a common sense for everyone to attack them

while everyone is playing their games .

also i dont think i am into hard core online gaming anymore am not feeling well and there is

war in Syria where i come from .

i play some with single player games but not that much its been 3 months for me in skyrim .

its good you are doing the right thing by investing in this school . why dont you eat with your

girl friend then ? she is that bad cooker ? just an advise you dont need to starve at your age .

and dont be a hater to EA they gave us a lot . maybe you will be an important worker

at EA and make a new dune game to unite us all again at our beloved arrakis

these songs are for you and to the souls of children's dying in my country

I cook at home. The problem is that I dont have enough money for everything so I end up just eating one meal the whole day.. and sometimes skip it.

Thanks for the songs Spicy. I thought you were Egyptian? Is it Syrian war with Israel?

yes i live in Cairo where they had serious riots but now its coming down due to the progress Egypt has accomplished

in the pas decades , we where scared a lot but no war took place ,

but i am Syrian mother and father and my dad still in Damascus .

in Syria is a revolution . 40 years of Marchall laws with a military ruler in the name of war against isreal they actually

never fought that battle , but used the power to glory them self's then they passed the republic to their spoiled sons

those kids took highest military scientific ranks and did nothing but drugs and sex and cars .

i was with one of them at school he used to cheat in the exam with an open book next to him .

now the population have gone very big turned to slaves by individuals who stocked pilles of money up to

trillions of dollars . they kill at will and take as they wish , until something like this happens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sByyd5M2vYk

those kids ruling thinks they are the only humans left because they are rich and hiding in their palaces the rest of the people are

unarmed but they got huge numbers most of them lost family members and homes so they have nothing to live for .

those monster rulers wiped complete cities with its population like its 2012 doomsday

pb_120330_homs_ps_photoblog900.jpg

but what they didnt know that the noise have awaken the beast ,

rise children of arrakis

that wounded girl said : are they coming to kill me ? the doctor said no she gose where is my mummy the doctor said with god

the girl says is god with us now ? the doctor say yes .

the other near the broken house say they broke my toys am hungey (she dose not realize that her sister is barried under the house)

the man kept saying i will revenge for you my son i swear

Thanks pearl for good words. Classic Historical Scene: new and have potential player came in ebfd. New and have capability player think he-she is the best player all time and maybe in human history. began betsssss. come come come. play game, play game, play game.

Anyway...

i played the game for 8-9 years. i played everyday for 5 years. everyday, everyday, everyday.

Finally i am a player.

i played a lots of game. defeat or victory. lots of gamesssssssssssssssssss.

i lost game. then i said: 'Good Game', 'You was played good.' , 'etc.'

they lost to me. then they said: 'i made mistake.' , 'you was lucky.' 'etc.'

excepted some of players: pearlman (anneyong pearl), spicy, mush, viking, ...

its hard to say for me this, i cant do it. bye bye for now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks pearl for good words. Classic Historical Scene: new and have potential player came in ebfd. New and have capability player think he-she is the best player all time and maybe in human history. began betsssss. come come come. play game, play game, play game.

Anyway...

i played the game for 8-9 years. i played everyday for 5 years. everyday, everyday, everyday.

Finally i am a player.

i played a lots of game. defeat or victory. lots of gamesssssssssssssssssss.

i lost game. then i said: 'Good Game', 'You was played good.' , 'etc.'

they lost to me. then they said: 'i made mistake.' , 'you was lucky.' 'etc.'

excepted some of players: pearlman (anneyong pearl), spicy, mush, viking, ...

its hard to say for me this, i cant do it. bye bye for now.

:wub: :wub: :wub: bye bye mjn4 and say hi to kaleem ;)

How are you doing spicy? :)

and haw would be my condition pearls ?

i....... my remains , half of my buddy hurts if a fly gose near it , and the other half is numb it cant even feel a buzz saw cutting through + my 41 years of age

Sorry spicy. i hurt you.

I didnt see your post all carefully.

I like you as we played nicely,but I have missed what happened near your country for a long time.

I don't know how to express my condolences to you.

Dont take my previous reply spicy. It is all my fault.