[RELEASE] Dune 2000 Mission Editor

mvi

that might be true.. btw i still wonder why mis file for skirmish is empty, i added some events and notthing happens. there must be something that not allow to execute events.. lets do some researches about it if possible

by the way i edited tech level selectable by game, i made up to 12 techlevels. i started game at tech 8 and all my units were infantry except mcv. i can start with like 45 units. if i reduce to 6 , unit types are doubled so 2 trikes 2 quads 2 tanks 2 siees 2 missile tanks etc.

What other cases do you mean? Give an example, please.

In all cases of attack AI checked by me didn't coincide with specified time. If I cleaned Unkown6 AI attacked as without changes.

In number of attacks I observe a difference only when I import AI last missions to earlier missions. For example from 9 levels in 2 level.

IA starts to build actively units and to send them to attack. Whether thus don't important use event Unkown6 or not use.

Please give an example a case when AI sends an attack wave about which you speak. It will be interesting to test.

Well, in _A8V1.MIS (Atreides 8th Mission) there is a timer for House Ordos and House Harkonnen to trigger this event for each one in "100000" with comparison function "=". I've put 100000 in "Time limit" and resulted to attack me both, even without the big Ordos army (don't count the little base near you position). The Ordos AI in this mission makes the big army by attacking with few troops and the mayority recieves the retreat command awaiting for the signal. If you don't put this event, then the AI will never attack with so many troops. The map will be overloaded with Ordos forces. Any other example?

that might be true.. btw i still wonder why mis file for skirmish is empty, i added some events and notthing happens. there must be something that not allow to execute events.. lets do some researches about it if possible

The skirmish mis file is very different then the campaign ones.

Well, in _A8V1.MIS (Atreides 8th Mission) there is a timer for House Ordos and House Harkonnen to trigger this event for each one in "100000" with comparison function "=". I've put 100000 in "Time limit" and resulted to attack me both, even without the big Ordos army (don't count the little base near you position). The Ordos AI in this mission makes the big army by attacking with few troops and the mayority recieves the retreat command awaiting for the signal. If you don't put this event, then the AI will never attack with so many troops. The map will be overloaded with Ordos forces. Any other example?

Whether you tried to add additional event Unknown6 for Ordos with value = 1000? To create 2 attacks from Ordos. Or AI begins attack only when will save up many superfluous armies?

Earlier I tried to add in mission a2a1 intelligence from mission A8V1.MIS. Ai has started to be under construction quickly. Then I added Unknown6 and the computer started to attack, but established time = 1000 wasn't observed.

Besides function "=1000" should work only once or at you attacks AI Ordos repeat regularly through "=1000"?

Maybe I don't understand something. It is necessary to learn English )))

= 100000 - this is almost 83 minets in real game (on standart game speed). Or 27 minets in max game speed (if I correctly calculated). Did you realy waited this time to test this case, Dune General?

Hehehe, I won't lie to you. In order to don't get it boring, I've made an already built Atreides base on the player's position and saved it on the map file. While waiting the whole time, I've compited with the Ordos to see who has the biggest army. I don't put too many turrets when making bases on the maps, even to the player, as I trust more my units.

As you know, I'm creating all the three campaigns from scratch (with a new story) and I always had a little problem with the timers. I don't know exactly the formula, but for starport reinforcements I usually use 5000 "%". It is a good timer for Starport deliveries or for a "never-ending" enemy AI attack (using Reinforcements and Deploy Action?=1).

And thanks for the informations about Unknown6 event, it could be very useful in some mission ideas. ( I already have some xD )

any progress for campagin missions?

I've finished Ordos and Harkonnen campaigns, and now I have to take a look at them to see if everything is ok. Also I need to improve the terrain because it looks very unprofessional. (at least for the Ordos campaign, the Harkonnen one is better on terrain quality). If you want I can upload them, they are about 95% percent complete. The only problem is terrain (all the maps were made from scratch), events and conditions being OK for the most of them.

MVI, are you still improving the Mission Editor? And if yes, will you add the option to change the map dimensions? I know that it's not a priority, but I just want to know if there will be such a feature :)

Map dimensions would be the campaign map editor, so you'll want to speak to Klofkac rather than me about that. I will be continuing work on the toolkit once some modifications that use the first toolkit are released, the next few weeks are going to be very busy for me as I'm starting work at a new game studio.

I need a little help with the "interval" condition.

is the runcount is the nomber of times this event will repeat?

If I remember correctly it is, so a run count of zero would mean the event happens once. A run count of 2 would mean it happens three times. However my memory may be wrong and it may be the total number of times it runs.

Map dimensions would be the campaign map editor, so you'll want to speak to Klofkac rather than me about that. I will be continuing work on the toolkit once some modifications that use the first toolkit are released, the next few weeks are going to be very busy for me as I'm starting work at a new game studio.

Well I wish you good luck at that new game studio. :D

You didn't understand me. I know that the game reads the map dimensions from the .MIS files. So if I use A1V1.MIS and i edit the A1v1.MAP to let's say from 32x32 to 64x64, the game will crush because the true dimension is in the .MIS file not in the .MAP file. At least that's what I know.

Well I wish you good luck at that new game studio. :D

You didn't understand me. I know that the game reads the map dimensions from the .MIS files. So if I use A1V1.MIS and i edit the A1v1.MAP to let's say from 32x32 to 64x64, the game will crush because the true dimension is in the .MIS file not in the .MAP file. At least that's what I know.

Mission files do not store the size of the map, I have just double checked this by running a find in A1V1 for the A1V1 map dimensions. It found no results which means map size is only stored in the .MAP file.

I then did what you said by increasing the A1V1.MAP size to 64x64, this worked perfectly and did not crash:

Qmb0h.png

If it's crashing when you're resizing the map I can see only three possible causes:

1. You're actually downsizing the map, rather than increasing it, so an event or condition position is no longer inside the map
  2. You have changed an event/condition position or the map terrain so that the tile used is no longer legal, e.g. a unit spawn on a rock cliff (I don't know what this would do but it may crash)
  3. Least likely of all, the AI behaviour (which is completely undocumented) no longer works for that new map size

Mission files do not store the size of the map, I have just double checked this by running a find in A1V1 for the A1V1 map dimensions. It found no results which means map size is only stored in the .MAP file.

I then did what you said by increasing the A1V1.MAP size to 64x64, this worked perfectly and did not crash:

Qmb0h.png

If it's crashing when you're resizing the map I can see only three possible causes:

1. You're actually downsizing the map, rather than increasing it, so an event or condition position is no longer inside the map
  2. You have changed an event/condition position or the map terrain so that the tile used is no longer legal, e.g. a unit spawn on a rock cliff (I don't know what this would do but it may crash)
  3. Least likely of all, the AI behaviour (which is completely undocumented) no longer works for that new map size

Ah yeah, now I understood xD and tested mysleft. You're fully right, only downsizing the map and with this, excluding an event from the map dimension, will crush the game. Thanks

Hello everybody! I know this was already discussed on this forum, but anyway, I'd like to ask if there's a chance to change the number & appearance of units delivered by the Emperor's Starport in these later missions? For example, H9V1. From what I've observed, they (the Emperor) usually receive some Sardaukars & Missile tanks via this special Starport, so I guess it'd be cool to change the delivery to, say, 4 Combat tanks & 4 Missile tanks, so that the level would be much harder to beat... Also, is it possible to CHANGE the time interval during which these deliveries are being made? I guess this function (I mean the one about changing the content of the delivery) was already implemented in the ME made by mvi (or klofkac?), wasn't it? As you can see, I'm new to this great forum, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, from what I remember, I've seen some screenshots (possibly made by mvi or klofkac?) where there was a certain line from one of the files (probably a .mis or .map file?) located in the Dune 2000 directory, and in that particular line there were some numbers, probably representing the particular unit which is being delivered via this special Emperor starport, and by changing that number, you could change the appearance from, say, Sardaukar to Combat tank. Would be glad if someone can help me with this...

Hello everybody! I know this was already discussed on this forum, but anyway, I'd like to ask if there's a chance to change the number & appearance of units delivered by the Emperor's Starport in these later missions? For example, H9V1. From what I've observed, they (the Emperor) usually receive some Sardaukars & Missile tanks via this special Starport, so I guess it'd be cool to change the delivery to, say, 4 Combat tanks & 4 Missile tanks, so that the level would be much harder to beat... Also, is it possible to CHANGE the time interval during which these deliveries are being made? I guess this function (I mean the one about changing the content of the delivery) was already implemented in the ME made by mvi (or klofkac?), wasn't it? As you can see, I'm new to this great forum, so please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, from what I remember, I've seen some screenshots (possibly made by mvi or klofkac?) where there was a certain line from one of the files (probably a .mis or .map file?) located in the Dune 2000 directory, and in that particular line there were some numbers, probably representing the particular unit which is being delivered via this special Emperor starport, and by changing that number, you could change the appearance from, say, Sardaukar to Combat tank. Would be glad if someone can help me with this...

Hi, Skorocel,

So you want to change the units delivered from the Starport? ok, so if you want to add new units to that delivery just press the "add" buton and then click on the new unit and change it (you'll find a list), if you want to delete you can delete only the last, using the "delete last" button. If you want to change just the unit, not adding more, just click on the unit (for example, the Sardaukar) and change it in a Missile Tank or whatever you are interested in. After you clicked the sardaukar you'll see a list. choose from it. Don't forget to click on "apply" after you created the delivery, otherwise it won't be saved, even if you Save the .mis file.

About the interval, I suggest to use for Starport deliveries the condition "Timer" with the "%" parameter, which will repeat the event. I use the number "5000". It's a good value for the timer, especially for AI. They will receive fast reinforcements. The Deploy Action? is not important in Starport delivery, I think that it affects only the Carryal reinforcements and maybe unit spawn. But if you still want to use the "Interval" condition, change the timer to any value that you want, and at Run Count = I suggets to put something like 99999 if you want to be unlimited, or if not, for example you wish the deliveries to appear only 3 times, use "3". Also you must click on "apply" after you're done to save the new condition or its settings.

I hope I helped you :)

Thanks aKaFedaYkin! Too bad I didn’t know about this FANTASTIC tool earlier!

I use the number "5000".

Does this mean that the Starport will receive the delivery each 83,33 seconds? If I’m correct, 5000 / 60 = 83,33

About the interval, I suggest to use for Starport deliveries the condition "Timer" with the "%" parameter, which will repeat the event.

So the „%“ parameter ensures that the delivery will be repeated? What if I try the other options? I mean the „=“, „<“, or „>“... Btw, what is the difference between „Timer“ and „Interval“? Gosh, this great program has so many options... it really needs some thorough tutorial!

The Deploy Action? is not important in Starport delivery, I think that it affects only the Carryal reinforcements and maybe unit spawn.

Yeah, I’ve already tried it out on the first enemy reinforcements in the O9V1 mission. I chose „2“, and it was quite funny to see those 5 Harkonnen Trikes returning home :laugh: Btw, what exactly does the „Unit spawn“ event represent? From what I’ve observed, it ensures the appearance of units (enemy or the player’s) from the very beginning of the level, right? But, there’s a bit of a catch... For exaple, when I checked the Mercenary starting units in the aforementioned O9V1 mission, I’ve noticed that, in the editor, there are only 3 Troopers, 1 trike, and 2 Combat tanks mentioned, though in reality, there are another 2 Troopers + 1 Missile tank present in the Mercenary base when the level starts. These 3 units seem to be in guard mode (or, in other words, they don’t leave the base), so I guess that may be the reason why they’re omitted in that list... Please correct me if I’m wrong!