Carryall

Timenn

I'd like to know who builds silo's. I never build them, but I keep building carryalls. Ok after a while you can't see your base anymore, but though. It's always good to have a fleet of carryalls. If you had a rush-attack. And then you want to repair all your units, it's nice to see they all got picked up by carryalls. Having several Repair Pads is commendable...

I build silo's.

Got entire field of those d*rn'd things. After a while I get enough of those harvesters and carryalls but still don't whant to loose the spice. So silo fields are the only solution.

Ok, I must admit, sometimes I build silo. But mostly if I can't build carryalls (tech level)

Then I place them like this:

X-X

-X-

X-X

But I prefer carryalls though, cause I have already 3 refineries, what is good to have 6000 solaris. And if my economy is shut down, I can still build. But that is more dangerous then having 60000 amount of money...

I place them simply next to eatch other. When the money comes pouring in I don't build as many carryalls, just another base for my harvesters with a silo field besides it. 8 by 4 or bigger. I can remember a long time ago with Dune II , the Atreides level with 2 Harkonnen basses left and right top from yours witch is in the middle that I had to build that lump of rock full to the south full with silo's.

I build a couple of silos to start with. Then I empty the ,merchants guild of all their stock xcept in harvesers and MCV's and a few carryalls. Then I use the starport cheat when funds are in xcess of 12000 solaris. Buy the odd caryall now and again ending uop with about 12-16 carryalls t the end. Don't ask how many xactly cos I have no idea.

• 1 month later...

Good point carryalls also lift guys around. Well if the enemy is attacking and you have lots of carryalls and there are Devastators guarding your spice fields attack your own Devastators and repair, let the carryall take some Devastators back and defend the base!

• 1 month later...

You don't ever need silos. I never build them. You can store an infinite amount of money without silos or refineries. Just get a starport. Now when you see that your refinery is getting full or you get the 'silos needed' message, select units from the starport to be ordered. Now cancel the order. Now look what we have here! An empty refinery! Repeat as needed. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough, but the most expensive unit may not be the best unit either. Take a look at the Atreides sonic tank in Emperor Battle for Dune for example. Or the Devastator in Dune 2000. They have weaknesses. For both of these units, it is the Missile tank that kills them.

That's why I used the above bug in the game to empty out all the refineries and silos first, then let them fill up again. When they fill up again, just empty them out again, and continue the cycle. You can store an unlimited amount of spice like this, instead of building more silos or being forced to make expensive units. :)

Ummmm.... Sonic tanks absolutely RAPE missile tanks. The only advantage missile tanks have are range, if you see a missile tank getting a few sneaky shots in, just move your sonic tank forward and in 2-3 shots that missile tank is dead. Keep in mind sonic tanks are pretty useless against the computer, simply because they don't generate enough units to warrant using them. Combat tanks, missile tanks, troopers and quads are best against the computer.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...