Norway

Dante

So. I've been enjoying the peace and quiet here since... you know, but it was never going to last forever. Long story short, there's been an explosion in the centre of Oslo: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515.

Now, I'm putting this is General and not PRP because it's early days yet and nobody really knows what's going on. Whether a car bomb or a gas accident, important or not. But worth discussing, no? I'm not sure if we have any Norwegians lurking around here, but perhaps someone else will find something more informative. If the worst case scenario holds true- well, I'm not sure what to say about that.

I get page not found with your link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

works.

Thanks for sharing. I just spent 2 hours online trying to buy elton john tickets.

Let's just hope that Norway doesn't take the american approach to dealing with terror.

As usual, reddit is on top of the story.

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/iwsj7/huge_explosion_in_downtown_oslo/

They've captured the man responsible for the shooting, and presumably also the bomb blast. He is a right-wing extremist, formerly a member of Norway's largest conservative party and currently tied to some ultra-nationalist groups. He also hates Muslims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259989

Basically, some kind of neo-Nazi.

Just listening to

Funny that if this attack had happened on Sept 10 2001 everyone would have assumed a Timothy McVeigh person attacking. But instead everyone thought it was the scary Muslims. (To be fair I think Muslim extremists did blow up an embassy in Africa before 9/11). Anyhow, shows that trying your best to protect against external terrorism still won't protect you from internal terrorists. And it only takes 1 person to kill hundreds.

The guy was in court and pleaded not guilty. So obvious that he surrendered so he could become more famous and mockery. I think someone said something about max sentence possible is 25 years and that he'd be out of jail by 55.

Norway attacks suspect to be isolated for 4 weeks

Heger said while Breivik acknowledged he was responsible for the attacks, the suspect believed he needed to carry out the acts in order to "save Norway and Western Europe from cultural Marxism and a Muslim takeover."

Stupid italian media depicted him as a catholic. There are few catholic in Norway, so it is a precise information, but it is wrong. Just for the purpose of ruining italian debate. Furio Colombo said that the terrorist act is made from Tea Party with the purpose of overthrow Obama.

They've captured the man responsible for the shooting, and presumably also the bomb blast. He is a right-wing extremist, formerly a member of Norway's largest conservative party and currently tied to some ultra-nationalist groups. He also hates Muslims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14259989

Basically, some kind of neo-Nazi.

A nazi that loves Israel? He is just a freemason. You know, if the guy wasn't caught the guilty would be Muslims. Norway is one of the few countries friendly with Palestine and is about to exit from Afghanistan. It is always the same crap that somebody set a bomb then people lose freedom and government change it's polical views. In Italy is already happened and for all terrorism (we had both fascist and communist terrorism...and mafia terrorism of course) we ALWAYS found a link with freemasons.

That probably has more to do with the psychology of the terrorist than the tenets of Freemasonry. I've known several masons in my time, and, generally, they're normal, upstanding people.

It's a social club with possibly occult undertones, and, and... secrets (oooooooh, gasp, egads, etc.).

Apparently Fox News is convinced that Mr. Breivik is not a right-wing Christian extremist nutjob, but is really a Muslim. Terrorists cannot be Christian, says O'Reilly.

Hm, I 've been reading bits about this throughout the net. From what he wrote in his manifesto it doesn't seem like he was a terribly religious man but more concerned with preserving "european culture", of which he deemed christianity an important part.

Apparently, he used to play wow and used it as a cover up for his social withdrawal. Interestingly enough, if what I 've found is accurate he's the original poster in this topic: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1172957888?page=1

Apparently Fox News is convinced that Mr. Breivik is not a right-wing Christian extremist nutjob, but is really a Muslim. Terrorists cannot be Christian, says O'Reilly.

Please point out anywhere in that article you linked to where anyone at Fox News said Breivik was a Muslim.

Looks like I jumped the gun by saying that Fox News claims he is Muslim.

Some definition of Christianity, however is a necessary one for determining his religious affiliation and whether it is relevant to his actions. The man apparently identified himself as a modern-day Christian Templar, which is evidence enough, to me, of his religious beliefs. His intended long term target was, apparently, followers of Islam. This suggests, to me, that his religious affiliation was at the lease, correlated with his aims.

Now, that being said, I think it is very silly to claim that he was not a Christian because he killed people. Throughout history murderers have clamed membership or belief in any number of philosophies and yet engaged in behavior completely opposed to any logical assessment of the meaning behind those philosophies. Hitler was a Christian, Bin Laden was Muslim, and Stalin was a Communist. Murder is not justified by any of those philosophies.

Perhaps this should be split off or moved entirely to PRP?

• Upvote 1

[colour=#005FFF]I think that the discussion of the event itself should be able to stay in General. However, discussion of whether or not someone can be justified in saying that a person "couldn't possibly be a Christian" because he committed an atrocious act should probably be conducted in a separate PRP thread, yes.

But then again, this is Fox News.[/colour]