How can a person logging in under multiple accounts be traced?

Because there is a lot of paranoia posting in PRP section I have opened this topic here.

Actually from what I know it is impossible to trace multiple accounts of one and the same person (unless of course you infect his PC-I guess the police and secret services are following the same method when they do not demand the ISP to nail him).

Does anyone have to say anything that can prove the opposite?

I think this is a very good question, but clearly, Ath, if you think it's worth investigating the methods by which this can be traced, then by definition, it can't be paranoia, can it? You at least think it's a valid point. Therefore, I'm insulted by your application of the term "paranoia" and I would like you to apologize.

Actually from what I know it is impossible to trace multiple accounts of one and the same person (unless of course you infect his PC-I guess the police and secret services are following the same method when they do not demand the ISP to nail him).

Your post doesn't make a lot of sense. You can tell if someone is using same account with IPaddress which is one method (and best).

Like Andrew said IP is a simple way of doing it, so it most definetely isn't impossible (glad to see I wasn't the only one baffled by the assertion). Of course many people have dynamic IPs, or use proxies, or use different computers. Still, there are several ways to find out if one person is using multiple accounts and frankly, I don't consider this the place to discuss them. Why are you so worried anyway?

I propose we all meet on ventrilo, this should clear it up once and for all. I 'll be sure to stock up on chocolate cookies.

[colour=#005FFF]Well now that's something I hadn't thought of. Yes, Ventrilo or Mumble or TeamSpeak; one of those would be ideal. We wouldn't need to say anything substansive. Just all be present and say a sentence or two to confirm that we're all real people. I'd be more than happy to do that.

How about you, Eras? Oh, my apologies... could someone else ask Eras that question? Like a petulant child, he's refusing to acknowledge my existence. :P[/colour]

[colour=#005FFF]Well now that's something I hadn't thought of. Yes, Ventrilo or Mumble or TeamSpeak; one of those would be ideal. We wouldn't need to say anything substansive. Just all be present and say a sentence or two to confirm that we're all real people. I'd be more than happy to do that.

How about you, Eras? Oh, my apologies... could someone else ask Eras that question? Like a petulant child, he's refusing to acknowledge my existence. :P[/colour]

Won't it be hard to understand everyone? We all come from very different countries with different native languages. This is one of the most diverse boards I visit.

Well now that's something I hadn't thought of. Yes, Ventrilo or Mumble or TeamSpeak; one of those would be ideal. We wouldn't need to say anything substansive. Just all be present and say a sentence or two to confirm that we're all real people. I'd be more than happy to do that.

How about you, Eras? Oh, my apologies... could someone else ask Eras that question? Like a petulant child, he's refusing to acknowledge my existence. :P

Wow, I think that I'll address the person who said they wanted to hunt me down, and ruin one of my livelihoods as a college lecturer in Politics and History, that's you, DragOon. Who said that he wanted to make sure everyone in my office knew my beliefs about his precious issue, because he thought what, they'd resign? What was it, DragOon?

So, what's in it for me? And trust me, if I were ever to agree to something like this, Lord J would have to participate. We, the seekers of the Truth, have suspected him of being a 'sockpuppet' for a long time, as well. "Sha-bang, both my parents are gay, and were once married to each other; but are now 'married' to people of the same gender". Whiz bang gizmo, homosexuality Thread solved! Harq!

Can you tell that I've changed? Can you tell that I'm not as nice as I once was? Dante, you are perceptive. One reason is that when I voluntarily left in May, Lord J put up that video of Cyndy Lauper. So Wolf, if you want me to round everybody up, and have us all get onto one of your coordinating systems -- what's in it for me? And remember, it would be coordinating a business owner (a father of 4), with a factory worker (a father of 3), and a single guy.

Why would we do this? Just to make you feel good, or to keep you quiet? Not good enough for me anymore. Because I don't care if you believe that the 2 or 3 of us are different people. I don't care if you speak to me again. In fact, you made an offer last year that if I stay, you will leave. Wish I could take you up on it.

ROFLMAO

I love this idea, of course I'm on board, though I'll have to get a decent mic. Also, someone should msg me so that I know when the time to meet is settled. I don't really check this board frequently. I assume ventrilo etc. is free?

It should be fun to listen to Dante emulate an American accent to portray my character!

Vent is free, though we'd need a server, and those cost. Mumble is entirely free, though I don't know if it's transatlantic. Don't know about Teamspeak. I'm on board, though more out of a feeling of necessity than enthusiasm. The idea of actually speaking to eras kind of turns my stomach.

Utah, right? Um... is that a drawl or a twang?

*Looks up youtube*

Huh, that's actually quite nice, as yank accents go. ;)

I think this is a very good question, but clearly, Ath, if you think it's worth investigating the methods by which this can be traced, then by definition, it can't be paranoia, can it? You at least think it's a valid point. Therefore, I'm insulted by your application of the term "paranoia" and I would like you to apologize.

No I won't.

Your assumptions are absolutely illogical:

It is impossible for a normal moderator, like in the case of dune2k, to trace multiple logins of someone with even a small bit of knowledge. On this see what other members and mods have already posted.

This topic is more of a challenge. A good hacker might prove me wrong. ;-) Remember: No infecting of the PC allowed!

How rude!

Actually, what you call my "assumptions" are perfectly logical. You asked if this was possible, and you started this thread. Therefore, it clearly can't be that crazy an idea, can it? Well, that's assuming you behave logically. If I actually assume that you're completely backwards and irrational, then yes, it's perfectly illogical for you to start this thread then say the idea is crazy (or is that still a logical thought?). Oh, Ath, I love that you now avoid PRP out of spite for rightfully sanctioning your spamming. I love it more that you try to take it out by trying (key word) to insult me.

Eras: the Vent meet wasn't my idea, I just seconded it. Why did you attribute it to me?

Wow, I didn't expect people to be so enthusiastic.

To my knowledge, anyone can download the ventrilo server program and host one for up to eight people. If that's not enough or noone's willing to, I know of at least one server that we could use.

It might be better if we could center it around something dune related, but I 'm all dry on ideas about that. (Whatever happened to Dunesday?). I can promise an E:BFD mod with a hero unit for everyone present.