Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded

MrFlibble

DukeReloadedTeaser1280-600x337.jpg

Have you guys heard of this? It's a very promising (still WIP) non-commercial project aimed at remaking the original Duke Nukem 3D in high-quality true 3D, using the Unreal Engine 3. This project has been officially sanctioned by the current copyright holders of the Duke Nukem franchise, and it is going to be a freeware stand-alone game. The primary objective of the development team for now is to recreate the original episodes of Duke Nukem 3D with both single- and multiplayer capability. A multiplayer-only beta demo is expected to be released in the near future.

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded Official Website

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded Official FAQ

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded Developers' Blog at the Official Forums

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded Wikipedia article

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded at ModDB

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think it was the "dark and gritty" look that got criticized and put off the fans. After all, Duke Nukem 3D is more bright and colourful for the most part.

Here's what Brandon Blume a.k.a. Musically Inspired (he has recorded high-quality versions of some old games' soundtracks, including Duke Nukem 3D, which are available here) wrote on the subject:

I've known about it since its creation. I'm not that excited about it. The goal is to create Duke3D as if it were a modern shooter. Dark' date=' gritty, bland generic atmosphere instead of the bright and colourful look Duke3D was known for. Personally I really don't think the two ideas go together at all. It's somewhat of a controversial subject among the Duke3D community. They've also released nothing but concept artwork and podcasts since it started. It's like there's no proof of anything. They keep promising stuff "soon" and we never see anything. They've been saying a multiplayer demo will be released very soon for months now.

Good luck to them and everything, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be anything that great.[/quote']

Also, here are several threads on the subject at Duke4.net Forums (a large Duke Nukem community website):

Duke Nukem Next Gen (that was the original project title)

Duke Nukem 3D : Reloaded

Duke Nukem Reloaded abandoned?

Whats with all the hate on DN:3D Reloaded?