War in Libya

I know that this has been discussed before, although I can't find the thread. Rep Kucinich from Ohio (who is a good man) wants to get us out of Libya for good. Speaker Boehner (who has some good views) wants Obama to explain what's going on with the forces over there. Someone has to explain something what is going on, and how long we are going to be there.

• Upvote 1

The Mid East / Africa etc rebellions are quite interesting. What do major countries do about them? They've 'supported' the governments for decades, then all of a sudden have to choose between old guys and 'rebels' whom the government try to extinguish by any means necessary. What is the role of government interference in something that is clearly a regional conflict? The USA can't go and invade every country there. No fly zones only do so much. If western govs support new guys, who is to say they won't be the exact same as old guys? How are western countries that normally send aid money to these countries handling the conflict? Still sending $?

Even stronghold countries such as Saudi Arabia have to decide what to do. They basically invaded Bahrain to restore order. Will there be western peacekeepers deployed to these countries? I know African peacekeepers were sent to a country I thought a while back. But would these countries accept western peacekeepers when a countries government is overthrown? Or is local military enough to handle transition?

It seems like Syria is a country currently in a lot of bloodshed.

Monsters, politics, and a Syrian boy's agony

It seems to me that we should have more of a "hands off" approach. See if the rebels are really the good guys before committing ourselves to using force. Of course, if the French had said that back in the 1700's maybe we would have lost the Revolutionary War to the Brits.

One can say that about all wars, and it seems that there was a type of hypocrisy going around at the Philadelphia Convention a decade later after the Revolutionary War in the 1780s. The colonialists were sure eager to get French and Spanish help against the UK. But from what I have gathered in reading about the Founders intent about declaring War, they were very squeamish about giving the President broad powers as he has today.

I think there is going to be more and more pressure when it comes to the Libyan War. It started off as something that was going to be a relatively minor, but here we are months later, with no end in sight. It's good to get a bird's eye perspective on what is happening from the Commander's seat , and to read his perspective, because it really shows that this is going to be long drawn-out struggle, and he expects it to be. Not to just impose a no-fly zone, which was the original intent. A great big round of applause to the Canadian parliament for debating the issue tomorrow.

I've gotta disagree with Obama on this one. His fine line drawing on the distincting between us just supporting NATO, and being on the forefront of NATO, sounds like a lot of horse manure. He's on the wrong side of this one, and Boehner is on the right side. What an upside down year. It looks like we may see some resolution to the question of the War Powers Act, since it was not decided in Gulf War I back in 1990. Not crazy about the Obama Adminisration trying to bring up what happened in 1999 and trying to tie it today.

Hey, I think you're getting uptight about all of this for nothing. To me, as long as no Americans or Canadians are dying on enemy soil, then take as long as you want, Mr Obama. Get the oil in line, and get Qaddafi out of there. Congress shouldn't be sticking their noses into something that isn't really even a war. I think the GOP brings up issues to try to embrass Obama poltically.

Trying to say he's weak, trying to say that he doesn't understand foreign policy. He made Hillary the Sec of State. That speaks volumes, she doing a bang-up job and a half. He killed Bin Laden, Bush searched for years, and couldn't find the man. So honestly, everyone should just back off Obama just a little bit, and give him some breathing room.

• 2 weeks later...

A article summarizing what happened last week about the controversy in Libya.

I think I'm the only one who is happy about the situation of this vote. I think it's okay that Congress voted to say that they weren't crazy about Obama not getting their OK to go into the fight. But now that we're in there, I don't think we should cut off the funds. But, you know, it has been going on for a long time now. It might be time to start calling it a war, and it might not be best for the President to keep saying that we are not.

I guess what bothers me is that some politicians seem to be specifically bringing up this war all the time, but not Afghanistan or Iraq. But if we ever have to send in the ground troops, Obama should probably get the OK from Congress.

I particularly like how USA spends $20 billion on air conditioning a year.

Among The Costs Of War: $20B A Year In A.C.?

I always like to use this bridge as perspective which cost ~$1.3 billion (12 km long)

confederation-bridge.jpg

15 of those a year spent on air conditioning. I'd like to think that $3.7 trillion could have replaced every bridge in USA. Instead it's all in Iraq/Afghanistan?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just when I had forgot about Libya, apparently the rebels have taken over Tripoli and captured 2 of Gaddafi's sons.

So looks like most of the fighting will be over. EDIT: foreign journalist hotel under siege by rebels to free them from Gaddafi loyal soldiers.

al jazeera has best coverage (watch live at website). Doing an interview and guys are firing guns in front of camera in celebration.

• 3 months later...