French Politican

"For once"? Are you trying to suggest that all French politicians are rapists or criminals?

This one puzzles me a bit. Why would someone of his power and influence (and enough money to hire prostitutes, if he's so inclined) suddenly decide to rape a hotel maid?

The woman broke free and told hotel staff what happened, authorities said. When detectives arrived later, Strauss-Kahn had already left the hotel, leaving behind his cellphone and other items, Browne said.

Doesn't look good for him. Could be guilty, but for such a high profile person there's bound to be lots of people to take advantage of that. A little smear campaign can kill a presidential bid.

Not much to discuss other than news reports of ongoing investigation...

"For once"? Are you trying to suggest that all French politicians are rapists or criminals?

No, not saying that about the French. I'm saying that it's amazing that one of The Elite got caught, or was so stupid? Something just ain't right here.

Because people with power enjoy acts of power? It may very well not be the first time he's attempted such a thing and other maids enjoyed it or were too scared to talk or a mix of both.

Although that doesn't exclude the possibility that he was setup.

It does appear that it's not the first time:

Meanwhile, another allegation against Mr Strauss-Kahn has emerged. A French writer says she may file a complaint for an alleged sexual assault in 2002.

Tristane Banon, 31, says Mr Strauss-Kahn tried to rape her when she went to interview him for a book she was writing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13426069

It's just that it never ceases to amaze me that people like DSK, who are obviously intelligent and calculating, are stupid enough to commit such obvious misdeeds.

Maybe it's a case of extreme narcissism. I don't believe in consipiracy theories in general, and I won't start now - at least until there are some substantial clues that it was a setup.