Terrorism as an act of innocence

http://actforfreedom...aloniki-greece/

Even though I disagree with the act of damaging property-especially property we have payed for with our taxes, I admire their courage and ideals.

And I can totally confirm the comments about the prisons of Avlona. Granted I narrowly escaped from being a 'tenant' there (due to an Easter celebration I was transferred to another place)-just visited some friends, but I have heard a lot that totally verifies the title: hellholes of human souls. Since I am not in mood to narrate horrible stories from there and it would be out of topic, something light: One of my friends, due to the lack of beds, removed the door of their cell and used it as his bed...

From the article

Since when are 20 year old kids called terrorists?

I don't think age is defining factor with label of terrorist.

There were Toronto 18 who were 18 people that wanted to blow up buildings in downtown Toronto. 5 of them were under the age of 19.

His claim of responsibility for this action brought as a result his imprisonment in the youth correctional prisons of Avlona as the state calls these modern hellholes of human souls.

Should have thought about that before burning vehicles. *gasp* do something definitely illegal and immoral and complain when sent to prison? I'm confused as to why he was sent to a youth correctional facility. Is age of adult in Greece(?) above 20? I think in Canada above 19 (maybe 18) and you can mingle in with normal federal prisons (not considered youth).

I guess the definition for 'terrorism' wold be the effect that the actions had on the general population at large. It seems very unlikely that the effects of blowing up a few power company servicing trucks wold spread terror in the populace. But the effects of the Toronto 18 might have reached the threshold of creating fear and terror in the hearts of the people of central Ontario--hence them being branded 'terrorists'.

This really is another of the effects of the 'boogeyman' who was killed earlier this week. Label your opponents 'terrorists'. Once they are tar-and-feathered with that label, they will be at a strategic disadvantage.

But the effects of the Toronto 18 might have reached the threshold of creating fear and terror in the hearts of the people of central Ontario--hence them being branded 'terrorists'.

According to wiki

They were accused of planning to detonate truck bombs, to open fire in a crowded area, and to storm the Canadian Broadcasting Centre, the Canadian Parliament building, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) headquarters, and the parliamentary Peace Tower, to take hostages and to behead the Prime Minister and other leaders.

I don't think that this is merely happy good time anarchy. They had guns, training, they had ordered explosives (more than was used in Oklahoma City bombing).

Citizens are correct to fear when you hear 18 people were going to blow up many buildings and kill thousands, and halt the regional economy.

What should they be labelled? Misunderstood Muslims?

No, I agree with you, the Toronto 18 were terrorists, and I remember their arrest a few years ago. They reached the threshold of causing terror in the general population.

But I disagree that the people who are getting arrested in Greece for setting a few trucks on fire, that they are terrorists--and they should not be labelled as such. Governments have a tendency to label people with extreme labels when they want to stigmatize them.

Ok, I understand what you mean now.

They shouldn't be labelled terrorists (if setting a couple vehicles on fire). Arsonists. I think if I go burn a couple vehicles I might get sent to jail though (if I had a record already or was prone to do it again).

Actually he isn't a terrorist at all. According to the definition of the word, a terrorist is one who spreads fear to the population by various violent acts. I didn't feel any fear by his arson neither did anybody from the population got hurt. The real terrorists are those behind the national electricity board, which repeatedly increases the price of electric and now want to split it to pieces and sell them to private vendors. People will die from this for sure. The fellow is much more of a brave hero for the general population.

Actually the fellow who set fire to the vehicles in not a terrorist. He is just an arsonist, or may be cited for trying to start a riot. The people trying to privatize the electrical company are not terrorists either, They are just trying to fulfill the loan parameters as laid by the European Union bailout nations, most likely.

The goal is that we do not throw around the word 'terrorist'. It is word that conjures up a certain image of someone trying to do great bodily harm and strike fear into society.