Britney or Lady Gaga

ErasOmnius

In an attempt to lighten things up a bit, and to fulfill a comment I made during the Winter...Who is more popular? Lady Gaga or Brittany Spears? But we have to give some credit to P!NK, as well, because she seems to be a talented artist.

Moved thread.

Obviously lady gaga is currently more popular.

But if taking total sum of career Brittany Spears would win.

If talking about trying at act weird and wear weird clothing as a form of marketing, then gaga wins. I'd assume manufactured image. Spears career is over, and just tabloid worthy.

I'm surprised when I heard pink on radio last week (i had to ask who it was). Guess she is still making same music.

Should include Christina Aguilera. She butchered american anthem a month ago or so (EDIT: superbowl). So her career isn't going good atm.

Still can't spell, I see. I have to wonder just how much thought was put into the topic when the subject appears to be comparing the merits of a singer vs a region of France.

Also not making a distinction between "popular" and "talented," it seems. How silly.

• Upvote 1

C'mon now, Dante. I really would like an opinion from around the world. Since both were born in the US, it is hard to gauge their talent and popularity when one lives in their birth country. It is my opinion, and the belief of my kids, that Gaga is more popular outside of the US, and Brittany Spears inside the US. They may be right, because it seems that Spears' appeal ends at the US border.

C'mon now, Dante. I really would like an opinion from around the world. Since both were born in the US, it is hard to gauge their talent and popularity when one lives in their birth country. It is my opinion, and the belief of my kids, that Gaga is more popular outside of the US, and Brittany Spears inside the US. They may be right, because it seems that Spears' appeal ends at the US border.

My current opinion of spears is trailer trash. That whole K-fed thing ruined it.

when the subject appears to be comparing the merits of a singer vs a region of France.

I don't see any mention of France in topic/thread. shocked.gif

Unless

gaga-kermit.jpg

Is some weird reference?

No? Allow me to enlighten you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britney_Spears

If you're going to start inane discussions, and if PRP is any indication then there's no stopping you, at least try to spell them correctly.

I'm frankly amazed to hear that Spears even still has a career, to the best of my knowledge her life became a neverending whirl of bald whimpering and attention-seeking breakdowns which rapidly led to her disappearing off the face of the Earth. In terms of both popularity and vocal ability, Gaga rules the roost. And her case isn't hurt by being a damned sight more sane and actually doing something useful with her position, not to mention maintaining an enviable grip on reality, something which Spears lost a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

I think you underestimate Britney Spears ability to be 'the comeback girl'. Her and Gaga are battling out for the number 1 spot here in the states for the past 2 months. Obviously I don't agree with a great deal of Spears lyrics, but they seem to be bubble-gum harmless overall.

I think that Stefani Germotta may be a bit outlandish for many parts of the USA, namely the MidWest and the South, to really have the type of flourishing long-term career that she wants. Of course, the upcoming song 'Judas', and its' references to the female in the song being in 'love' with the traitor of the Son of God; will probably be the over-stepping point with a lot of people. With other people, her core fans, of which their seem to be many in Europe, it will simply be the re-identification of agreeing with her even more fully.

As far as her European appeal goes, it is interesting that 'Poker Face' was Germany's number 2 song of the last decade, while it topped out at #42 in the US.

But if one looks at the Black Eyed Peas song, 'I Gotta Feeling', one sees that the song was the fifth most popular song in the last decade in the US, but barely charted in the Top 10 in Germany in 2009, the year it was released.

But yet, in the Michigan Area, one can hardly attend a wedding, go to a Graduation Party, be present at a Bar Mitzvah, or attend a baseball game at a Stadium, without hearing 'I Gotta Feeling'. Is the song popular in Europe, Canada, and Mexico?

Stefani Germanotta. Or to be more precise, Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. It's hilarious how you still expect us to take you seriously. About anything.

I am interested in your opinion, as an individual who lives in the United Kingdom.

[colour=#005FFF]Stefani Germanotta. Or to be more precise, Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta. It's hilarious how you still expect us to take you seriously. About anything.[/colour]

I don't see what is wrong with the short version of name. Putting Stefani Germanotta into Wikipedia brought me directly to lada gaga page.

But yet, in the Michigan Area, one can hardly attend a wedding, go to a Graduation Party, be present at a Bar Mitzvah, or attend a baseball game at a Stadium, without hearing 'I Gotta Feeling'. Is the song popular in Europe, Canada, and Mexico?

Yep, I got a feeling was (is?) popular in Atlantic Canada. Played lots.

Fixed typo in title of topic.

I don't see what is wrong with the short version of name. Putting Stefani Germanotta into Wikipedia brought me directly to lada gaga page.

[colour=#005FFF]Oh there's nothing wrong with the short version. I was just pointing out Eras' continued inability to spell things correctly. Then went on to highlight his sad assumption that anyone cares about what he has to say.[/colour]

It's amazing how a topic literally about nothing has already gained 10 replies in such a short period of time. Also, am I to understand that it was originally posted in PRP? In that case, I can't say I'm completely shocked, but still... wow.

What's so amazing about that? It's not as if anything else of any importance or itnerest is being said right now.

Edit: Enjoy, spambots:

Second edit: This topic is stupid. Not only for the obvious reasons (hilariously, they won't be obvious to eras, because nothing is), but because it's not even a valid comparison. Britney is finished, she's a laughing stock. Might as well ask for a comeback from Buddy Holly.

That is Britney's take on the Mayan Calendar, and its' prediction of the world having a cataclysm in a year and a half. Note: I'm not crazy about the sexual suggestiveness.

And, in my humble opinion, her best video and song, TOXIC

Britney! Giving hope to middle-aged men who ride airplanes everywhere!

For Lady Gaga, it has been downhill since she arose out of the water like Aphrodite in...

The year that this ditty below, by Britney, lost out to the above for a Grammy!

Maybe that was the 'changeover' year.

And Mr Flib, you still have not picked one of the two lady singers.

EDIT:

Britney is hosting a fund-raiser for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. I think it's good that Spears has not forgotten the people of New Orleans considering their lives are still a wreck over 5 years later.

I think that Lady Ga Ga is just too weird with her song Judas. It's too bad she has to try to shock people by twisting the Good Book, especially the time around the crucifixion. There are better ways to highlight vocal and dancing abilities.

Looks like both Brtiney Spears and Ga Ga may be having difficulty with their latest songs. Both 'Till the World Ends' and 'Judas' have already peaked, with both barely making it in the Top 10 in the USA.

But Katy Perry has her 4th #1 off of 'Teenage Dream' with 'E.T'. Are both Spears and Britney being forced off the charts by the California Gurl?

Not at all crazy about that 'Judas' song. Not sure why Ga Ga has to try to rip on Jesus. She is already one of the most popular singers in the world. Was hoping after prancing around in 'Telephone' and 'Alejandro' that she'd cool it down a bit with the theatrics, and try to develop a seasoned following.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this thread yesterday while washing dishes. I was listening to Sarah Maclachlan on my ipod, and it was on shuffle, and it was playing music from Solace, which is the only album of hers that I don't particularly like (not counting the live stuff, which I don't own and typically ignore). Britney used to be mildly entertaining, and Gaga is basically 60% Madonna/30% Manson/10% Cascada so I like her older stuff, but I feel like I'm turning into an old fogey, and I just don't love the pounding beat and difficult-to-understand lyrics. Sarah, though... I read about an Australian study where people ranked the celebrity with whom they would cheat on their spouse, and although it wouldn't be Sarah for me, I'll admit... I would think about it.

• 3 weeks later...