NYC to LA Strategy

NYC to LA is one of my favourite maps to play, basically because there are so many possible play styles, lots of AIs, and a pretty tough final objective.  I've managed to get the gold in two ways; starting in Chicago and going electric, and starting in Miami and going electric.  I've also gotten close by waiting a couple years, then cashing out my investments to build a railway between Montr

I'm not familiar with that map. However, if you like American challenges, find my US History map (thread) in the maps forum. It has about 300 events...

Note: It's still a work in progress. I'm in a test up to WWII, the farthest yet without some event rendering the game unplayable. Another rev should be ready later this month.

Tried it again starting on the West Coast after two years of investment.  Turned out to be the easiest way by far.  Building cut-through tunnels between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and then another hugely expensive one through the mountains between Redding and Eugene, allowed me to run massively profitable (~$700 K/year, +/- depending on route) Eurostar runs between Seattle, Eugene, Portland, Fresno, San Fran, and LA.  Bought a company on the east coast, completed the loads by 2021, finished with a book value of ~$70 mil, all without playing the stock market outside of those first two years.

I've played this several times, even if it was a few years ago now. I've won the gold on expert and hard with 4-6 competitors and the strategy has always been to start in NYC, building to Tampa to get 4 millions in bonus and then head west (mostly down south, e.g., via Houston). If there are complementing industries in NYC and LA, or at least some industries that produces consumer goods in both of them, a substantial part of the required loads could be freight (as usual, I favor an industrial strategy), as supply is not that dependent on the economic cycles, and there is no risk for robberies.