1000 times too far

Gwizz

My little map is replicating a 22 mile short line.  As I play the map, The mileage indicated is 23,000 miles of track.

Now I have built sidings and a number of long spurs.  Doing this adds around 60 to 70 miles for a total of about 90 miles of replicated track.

Question:  has anyone found a method to reduce 23,000 miles to 90 miles.

I have increased the speed of the locomotives so that they will make the 22 mile trip in one year. Normally the gear locomotives took less than a day to travel 22 miles.

I think I will fool around with metro time again.

Any comments about a fix?

I added more speed to the locos.  The shay will now do 109 MPH pulling 6 full cars on a 4% grade.  :P

That is really smoking the gears on the shays.  ;D

My fastest loco is a 4-4-0 that will do almost 400 MPH with 6 passenger cars on a 2 % grade.  ???

If I double that I wonder if these locos will break the sound barrier ???  :O

When running two of these trains, when one stops on a single track for the other, the passengers end up in the cab with the engineer.  ::)

I bit of fun.  Now, back to the problem.  ;D

Changing the speed also greatly affects cash flow.

The bankers couldn't count the money fast enough.

While running on #8 to test events all I saw was long streaks of smoke as the trains flew past.

The money problem, made increasing the speed of the locomotives in the editor, a no go.

Well maybe tomorrow I'll try the Metro time again on my next test.

The game kinda is set with certain values in mind. You can't willy nilly make such huge changes.

One thing you could try is changing the scale from years to days in the scenario editor. Then IIRC your clock tracks hours instead of months. This would do the most toward helping the feeling, assuming the change doesn't muck with anything else.

Otherwise, just pretend the months are hours. You're not allowing the player to build track, are you?

One last thought: the ledger assumes each cell of track is 10 miles. In my Florida map (unreleased so far) the actual scale is about 1 mile per cell; I created a status event to report the number of cells as miles of track (doubling for double-track). You might try that and ignore the other value.

• 4 weeks later...