Map Editing

mushay

hey everyone iv been very confused with some of the features of the map editing, in particular some of the event trigger condtions....ie player variable 1,2,3,4-9 and the complany variables and so on and so fourth

please could some1 post like a map editing guide or somthing...

many thanks

Variables are most often used as counters.  Sometime they will equal dollars , etc.

For example:

Set game variable #1 to = 1  The first city is the city to connect to, #1 city

Every time a city is connected, an event trigger fires and adds 1 to Game variable 1.

when 10 cities are connected GV1 would = 10.  The first city is the reference point and the other cities are connected to it.

If the goal was to connect 10 cities then the trigger would fire true and the goal would have been satisfied.

Just remember you use variable numbers to = something, most often a total of some kind.

The editor has the information needed to write an event. 

If you have a problem making an event work, place the information here and someone will try to help.

There are a number of RT3 players at hawk's site as well that enjoy helping players.

http://hawkdawg.com/forums

Use a territory variable when your event relates to territories.

Players for players and companies for companies.

The game variable can be used for anything.

Sometimes the first three variable types can also be used for other than what their name implies.

If you build a complicated event that uses more than one type of variable, the game tests by trigger order.  In this case trial and error is about the only way to test your events to see if 2nd and 3rd triggers fire and the event works correctly.

The RT3 editor does show you if there are event errors.  The RT2 editor is more powerful, But it does not show errors.

In the editor just turn the troops on.

lol sorry guys but i have another question in one of the  scenario im playing one of the events looks like this

conditions are

Player ID = 1 AND

player controls any company is true AND

Company variable 3 = 0

effects are

player variable 3 + 1 for 10 months ]

why woulda he/she use company variable 3 and have the effect for player variable 3 and whats plus 1 mean. also could u explain whats actually happening here

also if i want the event to apply to just one territorry how do i do that

and if i want to create a larger than normal supply in one of the scenarios... how would i do that the industry weightings doesnt really do anything am i missing something

i appreciate this guys i no im asking alot of questions lol

I'm glad to have you asking questions.  It keeps my mind active. Isn't there a saying: "use it or lose it"

I'll try to answer your questions.  If I don't do a good job let me know.  Writing events can sometimes be a bit tricky.

Player ID = 1 AND

player controls any company is true AND

Company variable 3 = 0

A player with ID 1 would be the first player on the list.  Normally we take chairman #1 to be our chairman.

If the player controls any company then a true test would be correct and that part of the trigger would fire.

Company variable 3 is just using that event to set itself to zero. 

(The value of a variable's worth can be changed in almost any event without it actually being a working part in the event.) 

effects are

player variable 3 + 1 for 10 months ]

If the conditions above were true,  (The player has an ID = to 1 and he controls a company)

Then, player variable 3 will gain +1 number.  It it had = 4 then adding +1 would give it a value of 5

why would he/she use company variable 3 and have the effect for player variable 3 and whats plus 1 mean. also could u explain whats actually happening here

Company variable 3 was only reset to 0.  and player variable has a new value 1 digit greater by adding 1.

In following events the new values will be used in some way.  (These variables are being used as counters.)

also if i want the event to apply to just one territory how do i do that

If a territory variable has a value applied to it and something happens to change the variable value so that a following event trigger will see a new value for the territory variable that is of a higher or of a lower value.  You would need an event to change the value of that territory variable when, what ever it was, did happen.  Territories have ID numbers as do cities, chairmen, locomotives and car types.

and if i want to create a larger than normal supply in one of the scenarios... how would i do that the industry weightings doesn't really do anything am i missing something

If you want a goal of a given amount, you can use a variable and have an event add a number to it.

If you delivered 25 loads of coal to a city or to a territory, for every load delivered, would add to the variable total.  Your win event will wait for the goal to be reached and until it can fire true.  In a status report the value of the event would continually change depending upon the value of the variable each time the event tests for the number of cargo's delivered.

If you want more production or a higher price for a given cargo, you can do that individually in the editor as well.  You should be able to do it by territory by adding a test against a territory ID number.

I'm not sure about this.  But it should work.  RT3 has the advantage of telling you something didn't work.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed your replies.

Variables are normally used as counters.  loads delivered to a given city, adds a number to a variable, etc.)

Once I got a good understanding of variables solidly in my head I found they are easy to use.

In RT3 it is harder to make a complicated event. 

PopTop tried to simplify the making of events by offering a large number of pre-made triggers.

But sometimes an event is wanted that is impossible to make because there is no trigger for it. 

A work around is sometimes possible coming from the clever, inventive minds among us.