Freight pickup at multiple stops without selling at each stop along the way.

namekans

ok here is my delema. I would like to setup a raw material freight train to pick up items from multiple station then deliver the whole load to an industry.  heres an example.

Pickup route:

station A     -------->   Station   B --------->   Station C ----------> Final destination

pick up 2-logs   ---->   pick up  2-logs   ---->   pick up  2-logs  ------->  sell to lumner mill

Total Train Cars

station A     -------->   Station   B --------->   Station C ----------> Final destination

2-logs      ---->           4-logs    --------->   6-logs     ---------->  6-lumber

Every time i get to the second station it sells my logs.  :-\

Thanks for any advice you can give. :)

Edit:  Running Org RT2 v1.05

The first version of RT2 did not have drop shipping.

Drop shipping was added in version #2

If you have the 2nd version then it may be the flags that are wrong,

I normally use the red flag to drop the logs and then picks them back up when loading cargo plus new cargo.

If you point the cursor at a flag, the bottom of the screen tells what the flag does.

Actually, I thought this would work in the original RT2 as the fixed flag setting is green & yellow (i.e. the default setting in RT2 Platinum) meaning that the cargo will be sold at the next station unless it is demanded at a future station.

Provided you set up the whole route in advance and there was no demand for logs at the intermediate stations, all 6 loads should be dropped off at the final station that includes the lumber mill in its catchment area.

Once the train has set off with its 1st 2 loads of logs, see what value is shown for the cargo. If it is

You are correct.  I also only play the versions with drop shipping.  I believe this term came from PopTop's beta testing people.  Although the word Depoting did remained in the manuel.  Games are always rush out the door.

Sometimes I use the double flags as you discribe when the routing has predible cargo or when I do not micro manage.

Most of the time I drop the cargo at a station with a red flag and pick out the most valuable or parishable cargo to load back on the train.  I will look ahead to see what cargo is avaible at the next station.

If this station has almost no waiting cargo, then I will add cargo to the train that will produce more cargo at the next station so the train can run full past that station.

Droping cargo does seem to reduce the profit from the total haul a bit.  Load time at the drop stations seems to be the same.

As I said before I play mostly for fun.  I enjoy dropping all cargo and re-loading the train as trains were loaded in real life.  Heavy cars forward and the passenger cars at the end, etc.  This makes no difference in locomotive performance.

It just keeps smoke out of the passengers eyes.   ;)