Tender first

Gwizz

While testing my new map, I noticed one of my 2-8-2 Mikados was running tender first. It picked up and delivered milk to Mexico City and returned for more milk while always having the tender running first.  All the other 2-8-2 locos were running normally on the same track.

That has never happened before to me.  I had previously up graded this loco from a 2-6-0 to a 2-8-2. All the other 2-8-2s were bought new.

I still can't win Gold on this map.  I reach the goals but the Gold event doesn't trigger.  Gee wizz

I still can't win Gold on this map.  I reach the goals but the Gold event doesn't trigger. 

Would you like one of us to have a look at it for you?

You can't half tell I'm getting desperate for a new map to play ...  ;-).

I find the problem with developing new map concepts is by the time I've finished testing and debugging the map, I'm well and truly sick of it.  The gold event triggers correctly, and I think "thank heavens for that", and never play the thing again!

Sure Steve glad to have you do so.  By the way. Everyone is welcome to download the map.

It is posted on the map thread and the Gold trigger seems to be working now.

I started playing it after changing the triggers but was rudely interrupted by a

water leak under the kitchen sink.

Seems the drain was bumped one too many times and I need to pick up a new

gasket and I broke the nut trying to tighten it.  I guess nothing is easy any more.

Hey Gwizz, I seem to be missing something - like what this scenario is actually called?  I've been out of the loop for a while so your descriptiom of "my new map" in the opening to this strand has defeated me!  ::)

While testing my new map, I noticed one of my 2-8-2 Mikados was running tender first. It picked up and delivered milk to Mexico City and returned for more milk while always having the tender running first.  All the other 2-8-2 locos were running normally on the same track.

I think that's a bug in RT2. I've seen it on other maps and the trains run between but never actually stop at any station. The only way I've been able to fix it is to delete the train and buy a new one.

--Ray.

The camelback had the bug and it didn't deliver or pick up any cargo.

I replaced it with the 2-8-2 and the 2-8-2 ran tender first but did pick up and deliver cargo.

I kind of liked that cab forward locomotive.  Even if it did run backward.  I don't believe the bug stuck when I compressed the map to place it at the terminal.  At least no one has said it did.

• 2 months later...

That has never happened before to me.  I had previously up graded this loco from a 2-6-0 to a 2-8-2. All the other 2-8-2s were bought new.

I still can't win Gold on this map.  I reach the goals but the Gold event doesn't trigger.   Gee wizz

Gwizz:

Engines running tender first are caused by upgrading them while they are at a station loading or unloading, but not if they are just sitting waiting for cargo.  Most of the time when this happens, they do not deliver the cargo they are carrying.  The only way I know of to fix this is to upgrade the engine again, while the train is not at a station.

I had the 2-6-0 refuse to deliver cargo that it was hauling back and forth on two red flags.

I never did try to figure out why it did that, Nor why the 2-8-2 was pushing it's tender.

Thanks for your insight. 

I'll have to be more careful next time I buy locomotives so that when the engineer is setting in his seat collecting a consist, he can't run around his tender at the station.

• 3 years later...

Tender-first is one symptom of a larger bug that can result in Loco-tender or loco-first-car overlap, or it can result in a gap left anywhere in the middle of a train. Some mangled trains (e.g. those with gaps) operate correctly while most others just slip through their stops without trading.

One fix that almost always works is to strip the mangled train of all cars and all but one stop. Send it to a dead-end, naked stop. When it is finally forced to stop, it often rediscovers its power to trade (even if it doesn't put the tender back where it belongs).

What I suspect is the cause might not just be upgrading while loading but rather (or also) upgrading while reversing. The stacking of tender and cars is rather chaotic in a station or even on a switch where a train stretches and folds while reversing direction. An error in position/offset calculation (probably related to changing engine length while different parts of the train have different directions of travel) leaves the train mangled.

BTW, This bug can and does hit the AI companies too.

Now when I upgrade my trains, I skip those that are in stations (I don't reverse at switches except for very special, temporary situations, so I don't need to worry about that)