RRT2 crashes back to desktop after some time

SCUD

I remember that storm where the snow turned to solid ice.  I had a jeep pickup with all-track.  I could go but not stop very well.  I remember the eyes of a man in a little car as I turned the corner toward him doing about 3 MPH.  I touched the brakes and stopped turning, heading directly toward his car door. It took a touch on the gas peddle to regain traction.  More luck then skill.

The game engine is very tight.  I built charts for my educational version but never had the source code to connect them to the game engine.  As far as I know no one at Poptop took on this project until after Poptop closed down.

good news for you

I've sucessfully decopilled the rrt2_plat.exe and got a look on the source code...many failures of the decompilling but the general could i understand...

without the sourcecode from the developpers we can't add engines oder modify engines.

another question:

is there a way to deativate breakdowns and crashes in the editor?

or generally a way to deaktivate them?

thomasjordan:

I don't know a way to make them last longer than their programmed obselance within the game.  Nor can I add other engines not included in the game.

I believe if you use an event to add an engine to the game, it doesn't disappear until you remove it with another event.

The little red 0-4-0 A3 is only available through an event in TSC. I believe there was a different engine that was only available this way in RRT2 original version

SCUD:

is there a way to deativate breakdowns and crashes in the editor? or generally a way to deaktivate them?

In the editor, i don't think so. I believe the "train safety" effect only applies to robberies.

The in-game cheat code nowreck is the only way I know of and I've never used it so don't know if it works for both or only crashes or even if it works.

There may also be a command code to do this but I can't recall ever actually seeing a list of command codes.

• 8 years later...
On 3/5/2008 at 7:21 AM, SCUD said:

I've sucessfully decopilled the rrt2_plat.exe and got a look on the source code...many failures of the decompilling but the general could i understand

Wow, I wish I had noticed this back in 2008 (I generally skip crash threads, so I didn't see this follow-on conversation about modding).

Is that decompilation posted somewhere? I'd love to see it, and even if imperfect, some parts might be very helpful for anyone starting an open-RT2 project (especially things like the logic for routing trains through complex webs of track, or the AI for building track).