Revenues from the station improvent buildings

Hi all!

I have been playing RT2 from time to time since before TSC was released. Currently RT2 Platinum. I build the stion improvements as soon I can afford them.

Recently I began to wonder about the revenues from the passenger improvements (saloon, restaurant,...). For a particular station, are the revenues coming from the passengers departing from or arriving at that station? Or even both??

For me it sounds logical that the passengers spend their money while waiting for my train (although they do not need to wait long, of course), i.e. at the departure station, not going to the saloon when they arrive to the destination!

I created a simple test map for testing. Two big cities not too far away from each other. Then I gave the player (me) plenty of money and started a company. put a straight line of duble-track between the cities and a big station with all maintenance equipment in each city (Want to create a steady flow of passengers and not want to have problems with the trains). Save the map and started a game. My company buys all pass-revenue-improvents at one city, paused the game and bought two trains with two pass-cars each. One train in each city. Unpaused the game and let the trains go. For me it looked the were worth about the same value! Max 10% difference (had expected about 5+10+15=30%.  I played on Hard and the game year was about 1850.

Do anyone know anything about this? Are the 'improvements' worthless? I know that the percentages have been tweaked since RT2-Classic. is my testing too rough? There are so many factors involved in the economy.

English is not my first language but I hope you understand what I mean.

/Magnus

The bonuses are for passengers arriving. They go into line 3, Station Income. The numbers displayed are truncated and Station Income also includes $4/load delivered. For example, two passenger cars arrive for $64.8 and 45% bonus of 29.2. You never see these numbers. Instead, you see Passenger Income = $64 and Station Income = $37.

You can test this on most any map, no need for a special one. The 10% difference you were noting is likely due to differences in age of cargo and differences in demand between your 2 stations.

P.S. Your English and your clarity are better than fine.

Thanks for clarifying things. :-) I have always thought the pass improvements were for departing passengers lika the ones for freight (although the freight (and mail) improvements are time reducing or giving me more time to pick them up).

So, the load value I see, when right-clicking on the train in the train list, is only the ones that goes into the "Passenger Income" line. When the train arrives to a station, *then* the Station Income is calculated, depending on the facilities at that station, and added to the "Station Income" line, right?  My passengers need a beer, a meal  and a bed *after* a ride with my trains. :-)

Another question, maybe only a matter of language: some of the buildings reduces the "turnaurond time" (e.g. the custom house and telephone lines). It seems logical that this is the time needed for unloading and loading the train (and the train does not have to wait for cargo). Or is it only when the train has to make a U-turn (turn around)?

Speaking of telephone lines: I real-life the telegraph/telephone lines were used *between* the stations to make the traffic on the railroad line more efficient (I think), but in the game it looks like the telegraph/telephone lines are more station-local features, making the switching/unloading/loading on that station more efficient. Am I right?

/Magnus

freight (and mail) improvements are time reducing or giving me more time to pick them up).

No, these buildings decrease only the "rot factor" by half while the item is at its originating station. Once the item is picked up, even by a train waiting in the station, it resumes its full rot rate until it reaches its residual value (or is sold of course).

The length of time an item remains in its originating station before disappearing, called "delivery time days", although poorly named, is not changed.

These are two independent factors, and for example, an item would disappear from its station long before reaching its residual value.

So, the load value I see .... right?

Right.

Another question .... ?

Yup, turnaround should be the time taken to get in and out, even if you do not literally turn around. I doubt the program is smart enough to ever recognize a U-turn.

Speaking of telephone lines: .... station-local features .... right?

Right.

The length of time an item remains in its originating station before disappearing, called "delivery time days", although poorly named, is not changed.

A better name, as I have understood this, might rather be "Pickup time days", "Days to pickup" or similar. The time from appearing at the station until it disappears again. Once picked up by the train the cargo stays there although decreasing in value (encouraging fast delivery to the destination).

Thanks again for clarification of all this. :-) And there is still active forums for ol' RT II. the game is almost ten years old by now. :-)

/Magnus

Thanks! I often wondered about those improvements.

I have a further question about the telephone poles;  Are they worth it?  I haven't notice a difference worth their expense. 

The custom house is much cheaper and I notice the difference in reduction when the train is "in customs"

EDIT:  BTW I am happy to still see somewhere to talk about this great game!  I sometimes put it aside for months but I always come back to it, this is still a great game.

But there are no benefits from the customs house unless the station is at border, such as a territory border or a port? Or have I misunderstood something?

/Magnus

That's how I understand it, too.  If there is no border crossing or port the custom house is not needed.

I guess I was expecting you to read between the lines.  I don't buy a custom house unless customs create a delay.  You find custom delays normally at a port.  Custom delays are often turned off on many maps.  I turn them off on most of my maps.  Sorry if you misunderstood my meaning.