building bridges??

Hi all!

I am wondering if there is a way to build bridges over vast expanses of water? My kids love this game and it would be so helpful if we could build over water other than those small rivers. I am sure there is a way as many of the scenarios/campaigns want you to connect to cities on "islands" but we cannot figure out a way to build these bridges. Thanks in advance for the help!

The first version of RT2 didn't have long bridges.  But later TSC versions did have a long single track bridge.  They are expensive and you just have to wipe the track clear across a body of water from shore to shore with the mouse button held down.

Blessedwith4

Thank you. We have version 1.05 which I'm sure is the first because I've tried to drag track across the water and it won't work. That makes me wonder then why the game asks you to connect to cities that you have no way of connecting to? Anyway, thanks again for the answer.

You might have a TSC map.  Take the map to the editor and make a land bridge by changing water (3 cells wide) to dry land with paint tool.  Place track on this land bridge up onto each beach.  you might have to start a small (bridge)company to do this. then change the land bridge back to water.  You how have a trestle over the water.  By connecting to the ends of the track on this trestle you how have a way to run trains to the island with a toll to the bridge co. unless you merge the bridge co. Save the map with a different name.  I usually add the # 2 to the maps name. 

I'm not sure what a TSC map is and I don't have any idea how to edit a map. We were playing "Croissants or Crumpets?" in the scenarios (sorry, I don't know which level that is) and the game was offering $400,000 to connect to Colombo, Sri Lanka. There isn't any way to get from India to Sri Lanka because you can't build a bridge across the water.

TSC is a later version of the game that allows a full cargo car to be dropped off at a station for later pickup by another train.

I rarely play the maps that came with the game and I don't remember the  map you are playing.

Using the editor is not that hard.  If you make an unrepairable mistake just don't save the map.  Normally in the editor you can alway fix a mistake and continue on.

Just click on editor and click to load a map of your choice,

(you get the map and extra buttons to click)

Chick on the paint brush, (click square on left side 2nd from top),

(you will see 18 color squares in the middle.) 

(17 of these paint land and one blue square paints water)

click on any of the land squares and

on the right side chick one of the 5 brush sizes.

(Dot 2nd from top is 3 cells wide. You could use the top one cell brush)

Choose a spot on the map for you land bridge. and paint water to land.

( click any of the 17 colored land squares)

At this point you can leave the land bridge as is

or start a railroad the same way as you do in the game and add track to the land bridge then change the land bridge back to water.

There is a power button that you may need to use 2nd down on the right that gives you a list of squares to choose that will change many things in the game.  You can add money, managers, locomotives, add or remove restrictions, etc.

At this point you might just leave the land bridge as is and not start another company. Save the changed map, using a new name for it, so you don't overwrite the original map.  If this did happen you can always replace the map with the original map from the CD.

To save the changed map:

Click cancel to stop editing.

Click square right side, 6th from top that looks like a TV set.

Click save map.  ( Then rename the changed map and save)

Click OK to save

Click on TV again

Click main menu.   

Click yes.    Now you are back to where you started.

( You can open the changed map the same way you open original maps.)

This sounds much more complicated to do than it really is. 

Like the keys on a typewriter, you soon learn what each does.

While in the editor click on all of the buttons to see what you can do

with this powerful tool.  With only a few changes, you can change one map into many and each will play differently, giving you almost an unlimited number of maps to play. 

If your kids like the game, I bet they will like the editor as well.  I spend much more time in the editor than I do playing maps.  But that is just my style.

Gwizz

... the game was offering $400,000 to connect to Colombo, Sri Lanka. There isn't any way to get from India to Sri Lanka because you can't build a bridge across the water.

That offer was randomly generated. You can recognize it because it is simple and is always done the same way. Play again and it will be another city and a different amount, offered at a different time.