Contaminators

themurl

I don't understand how they can get house tlielaxu so wrong. First there is the excelllently effective Leech, but then they go and make something like the Contaminators.

Contaminators don't even stand a chance against even light infantry. Even if you have to have more than one infantry unit it is still cheaper than a contaminator. If house tlielaxu had another unit that complemented the Leeches then they would probably be a formidabble sub house like the fremen.

Guest XehutL

But I still think that contaminators need some upgrade.. probably the most important - speed&AI.

Anyone tried to load them into transport units and then deploy direct between enemy infantry?

-X-

Yeah some speed would be cool...Then they'd be some kind of zealot from starcraft(strong and fast but non-shooting). I like that. And with the scout tactic you could have a real horde...and with the new shift-control command you could really get some damage done...hahahah

yeah, but i like a rush of a horde. Then you can use my favourite tactic (it isn't good but looks cool) a lot of really fast units wich can move and fire or use hth attacks. One super rush with hundreds of 'em great graphics...This is the famous Zerg tactic from starcraft

by the wat that Zerg rush tactic doesn't just work with Zerg, 2or 3 protoss zealots are worth like 8 zerg so if you build them really quickly you can have a Zealot rush, or a Marine rush if you like terrans

No i think what they really need is some range, instead of having to go into hand to hand combat, however it would have to be sort of slow and you are able to get away from it like with the leeches projectile, otherwise they would be too good.

Guest XehutL

They should be effective against infantry, but there are not (because of this problems):

1) slow and no range weapon.. this mean that they can be easily killed before they reach their enemies..

2) more hps then infantry, but still not enough to "stand" one snipper(/fremen?) shot..

3) very simple and uneffective AI - they don't like to attack much by themselves..

4) no cloak/stealth ability to get to the oponent without "notice"..

5) no detection - maxed snippers or fremens could tear very large group of them to pieces without any scratch..

Solutions:

1) they need higher speed.

2) if not above, they need at least 2x current hps.

3) better AI - attack only infantry, but not alone.

4) I don't like this much, but if not 1, or 2, they should be cloaked.. somehow..

5) detection to invis. infantry unit will be great, but don't know if easy to implement.

BTW - I tried this strategy and it could be quite effective (but needs alot micromanagement):

1) build one contaminator

2) build 14 scouts

3) build 3 transports

4) make 14 contaminators from scouts

5) group them in 3 or more groups

6) load them in transports

7) move between enemy (but is good to use in first line some decoys) with transports

8) deploy transports

9) keep switching between grouped contaminators and selecting to them different targets

...if you mix between them some grouped leeches, you may use this strategy more often...

-X-

Guest XehutL

Hmmm.. you are right.. finally I'v tried it.. I simply didn't have enough patient before (to wait until they kill your own unit).. and there is no new contaminator :(

However.. the strategy above is still functioning (I tried it - but only against comp not human) (the try was with 5 contaminators and 1 apc.. and it was quite effective against enemy infantry.. :))

-X-

i really wish they had made them have gholas, so you could kill an enemy the collect his corpse with some type of unit, then have it come out of the flesh vats on your side. or if they had made the flesh vats act exactly like the cloning vats in ra 2. Better still, how about face dancer assasins, they can take the form of an enemy trooper, but not recognized until he strikes (and then only for a second), with a knife much like the sardaukar elite one.

That's a good idea, maybe make it so that tlielaku can produce other houses units, you keep contaminators and when they kill an infantry unit they can take it back to the flesh vats and recreate it a limited amount of times before they have to get another one, I think that would really help out the tlielaxu but i'm still not sure whether it would be of any use

• 3 weeks later...

Even so, flamers and chemical troopers can kill masses of them , while snipers and light infantry can easily use hit-and-run tactics to take out even the largest group. Sarduakar regulars and both types of fremen will have even more fun with hit-and-run. O, and by the way, the Tleilaxu can (with lots of effort) destroy all your units, but have an extremely hard time destroying even a Windtrap (especially with Contaminaters).

Contaminators suck.

Guest Commander JP

Contaminators are the crappiest most worthless pieces of biogicly engeneered garbage I've ever seen in an RTS game. (leeches arn't too far behind in the race for worst unit in the game.)