RT4 wishlist

sindjilic

hello ,well i just registered but i've been playing rrt 2 and rrt 3 for a while and one thing that i hope will be available in rrt4 version is some kind of random system in map editor. when i'm making a map i kind of get tired of deciding what percentage to give to every different city and teritory. instead i think that it could be more easier just to press random button and the computer decides of where to put each ressource and factory and in what city and territory. if this is possible in rrt3 editor well i would appreciate you guys of telling me how to use it and if not well i just hope that it'll be available in later versions. btw i love the site and i hope to see more maps

I like what is in RRT3 but miss what was not carried forward from RRT2 such as drop shipping, managers, etc.

I think there is a random placement in RRT3 much the same as in RRT2.  If I have some time later, RRT3 is not on my hard drive at the moment, I will look for you, that is, if someone else doesn't tell you first.

• 4 weeks later...

To copy Industry Weightings, when you are on the Cities/Regions page in the editor press "Copy from Another" at the bottom. You can copy from any region or city to the Current City/Region that is displayed. Then make any adjustments, i.e. variations on your Industry Weightings for that city or region, if there are any. Then program the Building Density. Choose a port/warehouse recipe from the 12 available.

Whenever a new map is generated to start a scenario, the computer will choose buildings from among those available in the Industry Weightings. There will be variations in overall density and the exact buildings each time a player restarts. For instance, in an historic lumber area, you might program the ciites to produce lumber mills and paper mills, but at a low Building Density, you might only have one or the other, or neither seeded at the beginning of a game.

Please don't turn over complete control to the computer or make all cities with the same weightings. There must be variation in the distribution over a map, that is influenced by human and physical geography, that contributes to the setting of the scenario. I have seen fan-made maps where every city recipe is the same and resources are evenly distributed over the map. If the world were like that we would need very little transportation infrastructure.

Sorry I thought I had finished my reply.  I must of gotten side-tracked. Probabily playing RT2.

Placing industries in cities and regions:

I add specials cities, making a short list of cities to copy from for the top of the list.

I name them starting with the A to keep these cities at the top of the list:  Later I will remove the A and give them a real name for where they are located on the map.

A Only farming

A Only Industries

A mining

A Port city 

A Port 2 - in Auto - out steel

A Port 4 - in Food & Iron

Etc.  Etc.

I agree with JayEff and state futher that a good map will have human touch as well as balance.  Balance means there should be demand to match supply as well as close and far demand.  Also Historical location of industries makes a map more interesting. 

With RT3, IMHO, it is important to have many demand areas since they will not all pay for cargo at the same rate or at the same time.

Sorry for the late reply, Sindjilic.

Thanks JayEff for jumping in.

This is what makes our forums work so well.

A great group to be part of.