Tunnel mod?

managarmr

Hi!

New here, but enjoying the great site. I was playing RRT 1 a lot, actually often having the problem of money flowing faster in than I could spend it reasonable, and loosing it (as the game could handle only 32.000.000, 32 trains etc..) :)

I enjoy RRT 2 a lot too, and play it now and then (if time allows). I also prefer it too RRT3, as the economic model is better. However, there is one thing which is annoying in RRT2, the fact that you cannot build tunnels. I know that some of the maps are just relying on this, to create a goal worth to achieve, but often it is just annoying. Tunnels could just be made hideously expensive (as they were in RRT 1, where you theoretically could build a base-tunnel through the alps, but your company died of building and maintenance cost for this monster), but at least short tunnels should be available.

SO the question: was there ever a fan-written (source code) modification of the game, allowing for tunnel building?

Tunnels are so expensive in RT3 I seldom use one.

I also enjoy and play more RT2 than RT3.

Lately in RT2 I have been starting an AI, having it connect two good cities allowing it to make a good profit, Then using its' money and track to stitch my own railroad a lower level grade. If I keep using the AI's money, it seldom expands. A good track manager also helps as well.

I'm about to finish another RT2 map.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

this topic grew somewhat old, but I'd like to add my sermon nonetheless.

When there is a mountain or a hill in the way I do terraforming by building tracks in a special way to lower the terrain, rip them away and get a canyon through the mountain.

That might be very expensive but I don't like using slow trains or climby terrain for passenger or post cars.

Someone told me that would be cheatin, what do you think?

In a game I do what ever is enjoyable for me.  anything goes.

In compititon, (going for a win) A player seems to have more bragging rights if they don't do certain things, like stitching track to level a grade or using free electic track, etc.  But generally, I think how a game is played is up to the players.

• 2 weeks later...

In a game I do what ever is enjoyable for me.  anything goes.

In compititon, (going for a win) A player seems to have more bragging rights if they don't do certain things, like stitching track to level a grade or using free electic track, etc.  But generally, I think how a game is played is up to the players.

I fully agree. The important thing is to have fun.

But as I really like to brag about my gold medals, I usually try to play the games within some limitations. Bragging rights are important.

Free electric track I consider a cheat (and it's so booooooooring to use it). The same goes for saving before March/September and reload if the economy goes down. Stitching I seldom use, and I quite clumsy using it.

When it comes to stock market tricks I have no restrictions whatsoever...