Looking for a map of Pennsylvania

Bannon

Hi all -- glad to see the Terminal is still here.

I recently had to replace my hard drive and did not back it up entirely.  Since reloading RT3, I've had a renewed interest in the game.  I'm trying to locate a challenging map but I don't see it here.

It was set in Pennsylvania.  It was a very large map but covered only PA with a few cities in Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey.  The object was to haul a lot of Oil and Steel and have high Personal Wealth (if I recall correctly).  From what I remember, the victory conditions were very high, but attainable.  It is not "Prince of Steel."

Anyone remember a map like this? 

Thanks,

Bannon

That's it!  Pennsylvania 1855.  (It's a RT3 map)

Thanks, guys.

Hawks, thanks for the link... downloading now. 

I recommend this one to everyone.  Very challenging.  The goal is very high and you need to constantly work toward it.  I think I made silver (or bronze  :-[ ) when I played last.

Bannon

• 3 weeks later...

Great news folks!

Redband has tackled the daunting task of transferring all of the events to a properly colored map, sifted through them and corrected as needed in hopes of making the scenario play as intended.

I haven't played the revised version myself but for those interested, you can find it here.

Look for "Pennsylvania Revisited".  ;D

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to playing this scenario.  A great one!

Started in Philadelphia this time.  Many warehouses in the surrounding cities.  This quickly became a "beer empire" as that was the plentiful commodity and there were many warehouses with demand.  After 5 years or so, I realized I was never going to make the steel and oil cargos situated in eastern PA.

I started my steel empire based in Uniontown.  Great confluence of the coal and iron fields plus Pittsburgh is set up as a steel magnet with several industries requiring steel.  I had an upgraded steel mill cranking out mega tons and huge profit!

I played with 6 AI competitors on expert level.  Look out for one of the early scenario options.  Early on you are offered a decision... something to the affect of quicker station turn-around, etc.  I chose the lump sum cash option -- a million dollars to your personal bank account!  Logically, you would use this to buy stock.  It appears the other AI players also received a wad of cash as well.  So, all of the available stock at the time was scooped up quickly.  I don't know if the AI players automatically get the same option you choose or not... but this did not work out to a great gain for me since one of my strategies is to gain controlling interest (51% of stock) in nearby competitors.

Overall, the AI companies do OK.  A few of them were successful but did not cause me too much trouble.  The others ran into trouble and were eventually liquidated.  The trouble they had was with track layout.  Even a few small hills could spell bankruptcy for them... especially with the weaker early engines.  I bought up some of the liquidated companies and rerouted the track around the hills and made the route profitable.  I acquired better situated AI companies as I went.  All together maybe 12-14 companies were formed during the game... about half were viable.

I got the Gold... but I really didn't achieve all the goals.  Bronze is 1500 oil, 750 coal & iron and 500 steel.  Silver is $1,000,000,000 in cummulative company revenue.  (That's $1 BILLION!).  Gold is PNW of $250 million.  I achieved bronze and gold requirements in 46 years (and the game automatically ended when I cross $250 PNW), but my company revenue was only about $850 M.  I might have been able to pull it off in another 4 years, but it would have been close.  I had just acquired a sizeable AI company and it was difficult to re-engineer its track... and I spent about $100M doing it.  (The AI had one route going directly over the ridge of a mountain range!  Lengthwise... not over the hump!)

This is a great scenario that is well researched by the designers.  Maybe a couple of bugs like the victory condition.  I also had trouble getting Oil Refineries to work... not sure if this needs some sort of fix or just a fluke.  If you take on this challenge... remember you are running a marathon.  You need to keep expanding and looking for opportunies even in the early game.  Don't loose track of the time because the goals are very high.

Let's hear how you do. 

PS -- I'll have to check out the "revised" map. 

Hi Bannon, in the revised scenario I changed the option for the $1 million to only go to the human player so this should help you in gaining control of competitors. Also the Victory conditions now work in sequence (i.e You need to meet ALL targets before you can get Gold). Re Oil Refineries - although one appears early in the game they will not accept oil until 1890. If you go to http://hawkdawg.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=229 you can find out about all the changes I made with the help of other people. Hope you enjoy the revised version.