CG

Hi Peeps,

I wish to say 'ello' to you all and introduce myself.

Names Collin.

Retired.

Now pass my pc time making 3D models for CFS2.

During times of developers burn-out I run my little tail around RT2 Platinum edition or Silent Hunter 1.

Best wish's to you all.

regards  Collin

Hey Collin,

Welcome to the community.  ;D

I do a little 3D modeling myself, but for Microsoft Train Simulator. You can see a little of my work here. I also do some animation with some of the models.

Have you tried some of Gwizz's maps? Talk about some interesting scenarios.  ;) You can find a list of them here.

While you're there, feel free to browse around my site. I'm still working on it and updating frequently.

Have you tried RRT3 yet? It's different. Some folks like it and some folks don't. With the addition of the 3D environment, and the fact that they left a lot of the good stuff from RRT2 out, it's a whole new ball game.  :O

Thanks Hawk.

I looked at the sites you suggested and downloaded some maps from one and checked your screenies on the other.

Do you use gmax to make your models? I'm not sure what MS TS requires, but it looks good stuff yer making there.

I use FSDS2 and my web site is http://www.simviation.com/lair/cfs2shipyard.htm

I had an early demo that was supposed to be RT 3, but it looked such a load of dross that I have shyied away from buying the proper release, and its now a bit of a problem to get it locally. Not sure I'll bother this year as its back to the model making in September.

regards  Collin

Hey CG,

Your ships look great, from what I can tell in the thumbnails. I downloaded one hoping to find a bigger shot but it was still the thumbnail, although the texture file was rather impressive.

I use Train Sim Modeler. I tried GMAX, but by then I was already way to familiar with TSM and GMAX seemed a lot of unnecessary learning and from what I'd heard from others, although you can produce a more detailed model in GMAX, it takes 3 to 4 times longer than with TSM-so I just stuck with what I knew.

On top of that, with the crappy programming of Train Sim, to much detail is not a good thing. Most folks want the engines and rollingstock very detailed which doesn't leave a lot of room for scenery before it brings the best system to it's knees, frame rate wise-so we scenery modelers have to be careful not to get to detailed.

Both the links I gave above are on my site. I just recently started the forum. After learning that Gathering and H&P were shutting down, I figured I'd start it up since it was free from my site host.  ;D

Don't be bashful. Stop by and sign up. We're always looking for new friends. I'm in the process of adding a lot of the informative threads that were salvaged from Gathering. Scenario tips and such, mainly for RRT3. Plus all the maps that were archived at the H&P site, about 200 of them for RRT2 & 3.

Not trying to take away from this forum mind you. I stop by here every day or so, but each forum has different folks to swap ideas with and the RRT2 forum could use a little pick-me-up. Most of the members are from the RT3 crowd.  ;)

Hi Hawk,

The fps is always a sim problem, with the main train models can you "lod" them? Or use a better form of .bmp, like a dxf type? If you can there is a site out there which can help... ;)

Martin Wright http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

With scenery, there might be a possible way called GSL. I'm not a scenery builder but there has been big strides made in the flight sim community that could be adapted to the train sim.

Try theses forums..http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/index.php?

And the man you want is Maskrider.

You didn't say which ship you downloaded, so I can't help you there with a big piccy. As with any model, the download size is governed by the graphic files it contains, so to keep it small the minimum size is used for screenies. The jpg's contained in the zips are there for the use in the flight sims Mission Builder so that the person knows what ship they are placing in the mission.

Gmax isn't very user friendly but it has some good sides to it. The amount of different types of animation .sdl files available is far bigger then any other comparable CAD and the different export type files have a wider choice.

Though I'm loathe to do this to a train sim, I shall leave you with some ship screenies hoping that one of them is what you want.

In the cfs2 sim they can all dish out a load of punishment to any plane attacking.

regards  Collin

post-294-13030715793484_thumb.jpg

post-294-13030715794018_thumb.jpg

post-294-1303071579427_thumb.jpg

post-294-13030715794617_thumb.jpg

Wotcher maddog,

I only have the Furious in her 1918 configuration at desktop size, its in the zip below.

You will have to edit it a bit along the edges unless you can live with the framing.

Couldn't agree more with you about how interesting she was, she set the standard for all carriers upto the present day.

I have a few of the 1917 version, but not of the size you require.

regards  Collin

Furious1918.zip

post-294-13030715820925_thumb.jpg