Problem: water colour

MiG

I'm continuedly having the same problem with the map editor. The water won't turn blue! Does anybody know why this problem keeps coming up. I switched the button change color on and of over and over again. It just won't work. This is especially very anoying because i can't use a swatch for the colour either. Am I supposed to be able to do this? Or are you just supposed to create the coulour yourself? This just keeps bugging me so much I've lost all interest in the map builder. Any suggestions?

MiG

I have had inconsistent experiences with water color. Sometimes the color will not change until I save and reload the map. It may be related to the video card or to the screen settings, or to how you save the map, but I never figured it out. Sometimes while working on a map I have had previously blue water go muddy (shiift to green or olive), in which case I loaded an older saved version and kept going.

Also, as far as I know, lakes are not meant to change color. You have to paint them.

Remember also that you can use PJay's bmp2gmp and gmp2bmp tools. If you have one file nicely painted, and another with all your events, territories, etc. you can paint it later.

Ane there is a kind of color drift with multiple saves. It seems that if you have many edits to do it is best to save painting for the end.

• 6 months later...

For oceans and lakes, you can paint onto them. When you are editing, the water generally won't change colour on the map until you reolad, however, painting the water has advantages. You can sharpen your shorelines by painting blue along your shores so the waves look right in corners. The best colour to use is from the mixer and pick 0 red, 75 green, and 110 blue. It's the exact colour of the water. But you can also paint darker (more blue) for deep areas if you want.