New Map Tycooning Africa 1.0

Gwizz

Wolverine@MSU, since I was logged in already when trying to download, I logged out and back in again and it still did not work. Perhaps Gwizz can email the download for the time being.

Interesting. Now when I try to download I get the sign on screen that shows that I am not signed on.Then when I sign on I end up being put on the back to the thread page again and further download attempts result in repeating the same procedure leading nowhere.  However, I am signed in to start with.

I found a dialog error in my map.  The choice event for extending game time reads extend for one month.  It should read extend for one year to year six.  Originally I intended the extention to be for one month; but, found it takes 2 to 5 months for a loaded train to travel between two cities.  So I changed these time events to one year and forgot to change the dialog.  So far the map plays correctly; but, if you want the correct dialog for this choice event I uploaded the map:            Tycooning Africa 1.1.

Tycooning_Africa_1.1.zip

Interesting. Now when I try to download I get the sign on screen that shows that I am not signed on.Then when I sign on I end up being put on the back to the thread page again and further download attempts result in repeating the same procedure leading nowhere.  However, I am signed in to start with.

That sounds like a browser problem.  Try enabling cookies and clearing the cache.  What browser are you using?

--Ray.

Gobalopper, great to see you post so now and then. How are you making out with RT3?

maddog, I am using Firefox. The cookies are enabled all the time and I have cleared the cache (again) and still get no download. Does it work for other people?

My guess would have been the firewall but I do not get any warnings or notifications.  It simply does nothing of any significance when I try do download. Needless to say, other downloads from other sites work.

Gobalopper, I use Kerio Personal Firewall 4 and use AVG Antivirus protection. Both are the purchased editions, not the free ones and they are up-to-date.

In any case, Gwizz emailed me the map anyhow so there is no panic. ;D But it sure would be nice to know why it does not work for me.

Thanks for your help BTW.

JSS,

My wife has had some trouble with Kerio that did weird things like that.  She is using the free version though.  This is how I had to fix it.  Disconnect from the internet.  Uninstall KPF.  Reboot.  Delete the C:\Program Files\Kerio folder.  Reinstall KPF.  Reconnect to the Internet.  She uses the "learning" mode of the firewall and I think she disallowed some critical functionality a few times but I couldn't figure out what to reallow in the software so I just went back to the defaults.  Does the non-free version have a "learning mode"?

--Ray.

maddog, all firewalls that I have tried do something at one time or another that does not seem to make sense. At least not when things for no reason it seems, do not work.

I am running Kerio in the advanced mode (learning mode) and am being notified whenever something unusual happens. Then I give permission to accept this action or not and only for this session or forever.

To reinstall the program is an option but is a pain since I will have to go through the process of giving permissions to run all my usual programs all over again.

The question I have is that since I do not have any issues downloading other programs, what is so different about this particular downloading process?

JSS

I've had to refresh a cookie to get some sites working correctly: but not this site.

Hawk couldn't logn on to this site and by refreshing the terminal cookie he was able to log on.

Your problem seems different; but, this may be worth a try.

To add to what Gwizz said, your problem does seem different, but what I had to do was delete the cookies for this site in order to allow the site to refresh the cookies.

Don't ask me why, but it worked.

Ya' never know! It's worth a shot.  :)

Well, I got rid of two cookies and upon entering the site again it asked me to sign in so I know I got the right ones. Tried downloading the map - still no go.

I also enabled the popup windows and other things I thought could have something to do with it but nothing worked. I thought I had a good idea when I reasoned that perhaps the window about the download might be suppressed by any of the several programs trying to control the internet activities. In other words it hides the download window if there even is such window. Is there? Or once you click on the download description it just loads the map somewhere without you being asked where to download it to or if you actually still want to download the map?

Is computing supposesd to such a mystery? 

Jss,

Yes, there is a download window here, same as most other sites you download from.

Just curious, are you trying to download from the link in the forum? Have you gone to the library and tried to download?

Have you tried turning off your firewall?

Just random thoughts. Wish I could help out more.

Hawk, I am trying to download it from within the post Gwizz made.

I can download any of the maps from the normal RT2/RT3 Terminal library of maps without any problems. However, the map we are talking about is not in that library yet.

No I have not tried to turn off the firewall. I would rather not play a map than expose myself to the potential risks.

Unless someone has experienced the same download issues it is an akward issue to resolve. With my luck I will accidently find the proper cause of this issue some time down the road. It would just have been nice to find the solution now in case someone else has the same experience. Thanks very much for your help. 

Well everyone else is doing so here's my 2 cents worth, from someone who knows nothing about firewalls, virus protection, or anything like that.

Strange file name displays on download as "Tycooning Africa 1[1][1].1.zip".

JSS, see if you can download this attachment, which contains no embedded periods in the file name. If you can then maybe your system sees the file extension as "1.zip" and rejects it, otherwise forget about it (and go play the scenario-lol).

------------------------------------

And now questions about the scenario for the author:

1. You have written it to count all deliveries to the special T&D's when you could have easily restricted it to steel and aluminum. What is your intention here both for yourself and for other players.

2. How long does it take you to win this scenario and in doing so:

-on what difficulty level

-on what internal difficulty option

-do you offload cargo at the originating station

-do you deliver only steel and aluminum to special T&D's

--------------------------------------------------

test.zip

loco_motive, there is no problem downloading your file!!!!!!!!!

Tried the map file again and it does not work.

I was able to see only " Tycooning Africa 1.0.zip (332.96 KB - downloaded 25 times.)" So who were those people that were able to download it still and why? What would be so different on my machine that it does see that extension differently?

In any case great deductive reasoning on your part and many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now, why do you think is my system more selective in accepting that extension?

The problem might be that your firewall doesn't let you download files that have extra periods in them. It might think you are being tricked into downloading a file with an extension that isn't really what it says it is.

Something like file.zip.exe maybe.