missing default2.lng

Hi,

I've just bought RT2 Gold and tried to install it but with a problem. The game will not start but returns an error saying "Fatal Error: Could not open file 'default2.lng'

". i did try manually creating default2.lng to see if it could then autoconfigure and found that when this created in my ~/.loki/rt2 directory the error changed to just "Fatal Error".

So I assume that if I had a proper 'default2.lng to place there this problem would be solved? I did find Gobaloppers' "New Map and Language File" post pointing to a Commonwealth English file, which would be ideal for me, but found his given link (i.e. http://theterminal.dune2k.com/downloads/rrt2/Aus-default2.zip) to be dead.

Can anyone offer me any advice to get the game running. BTW I have the Linux version 1.54 of RT2 Gold.. Will the default2.lng from other OS's/versions work okay with this?

Thanks, Kimdino

I too have the Linux Gold version.  Did you install it as root?  su?  If you didn't install as root (i don't know if it can be done or not.  haven't ever tried it), are the permissions on the default2.lng set correctly?  If it can't open it, it probably wants "read" permissions.

What distro are you using?

--Ray.

Hi Ray,

I first installed RT2 as su from a Konsole shel under KDE. Later I unstinstalled and this time reinstalled as root from a raw command line. Same result both times :(.

I have done a search of the whole filesystem, using 'updatedb' & 'locate', which showed that 'default2.lng' is not anywhere on the machine. I cannot find it on the CD either?

My distro is Mandrake 10.1 (very easygoing on permissions).

Would you be able to post me a copy of your default2.lng?

Many thanks, Kim

Hi again,

I'm now wondering if my copy is a dodgy pirate.

I have run the installation again and noticed that two files were reported as unable to be found by the installer i.e. maps.tar.gz & main.tar.gz. There is is a maps directory in root of the CD, but the file names look like they've all been abbreviated to 8.3 format as if someone had been careless on the filename setting in their burner software. For example one file is '#01b&o~1.map', I realise that this could be a genuine filename? Also the cover sleeve insert looks like it may be hand printed.

Could anyone with the Linux RT2 Gold edition check their disc and let me know so that I can quickly get back to e-bay and deal with the seller if mine is a ripoff.

Many thanks, Kimdino

I think that you may be legal.  I bought mine from Loki before they went bankrupt and my copy looks as if it were hand printed.  Did you get the original box too?

I will install it and see if it works for me.  I have tried it in some time.  I use Vector Linux so I may not prove anything for you..  <snicker>  We'll see what happens.

--Ray.

For example one file is '#01b&o~1.map', I realise that this could be a genuine filename? Also the cover sleeve insert looks like it may be hand printed.

I checked my disk.  Yours is legal.  '#01b&o~1.map' is an original campaign map.  I guess that Loki just copied the maps directly from the Windows version when they made the Linux version.

I installed on my Vector partition.  It ran just fine.  Do you have a second non-Mandrake/-driva/Conectiva/<whatever they're calling it now> box to try to install it on? 

Here's the directory of my install (/usr/local/games/RT2).

-rw-r--r--  1 root root  44002 2005-04-23 09:14 Editor.txt

drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    4096 2005-04-23 09:15 Manual/

-rw-r--r--  1 root root    8892 2005-04-23 09:15 README

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 2005-04-23 09:15 anim/

-rw-r--r--  1 root root    3028 2005-04-23 09:14 credits2.lng

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 2005-04-23 09:14 data/

-rw-r--r--  1 root root  161299 2005-04-23 09:14 default2.lng

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    4096 2005-04-23 09:15 games/

-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root    1704 2005-04-23 09:14 hiscore.dat

-rw-r--r--  1 root root    2450 2005-04-23 09:15 icon.bmp

-rw-r--r--  1 root root    2987 2005-04-23 09:14 icon.xpm

drwxr-xr-x  4 root root    4096 2005-04-23 09:16 maps/

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 2682544 2005-04-23 09:14 rt2

-rw-r--r--  1 root root  921654 2005-04-23 09:15 splash.bmp

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  29339 2005-04-23 09:16 uninstall

Hope this helps.

--Ray.

P.S.  My sound sucks.  Seems that Linux AC97 drivers and RT2 don't mix that well.  I guess I will uninstall it and put it on my old pc.  It has an old Sound Blaster ISA!  That would have to work!  :)

Hi Ray,

I installed on my Debian setup with exactly the same results. My Debian installation has no X-server so I was unable to try and run it.

Referring to your /usr/local/games/RT2/ listing I have am missing Editor.txt, credits2.lng, data/, default2.lng, hiscore.dat & icon.xpm.

The directory listing of the root of my CD is:-

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  4096 Apr  7 14:48 anim/

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root    54 Aug 30  1999 autorun.inf*

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2048 Apr  7 14:44 bin/

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2450 Aug 30  1999 icon.bmp*

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2048 Apr  7 14:44 Manual/

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  4096 Apr  7 14:49 maps/

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2048 Apr  7 14:55 Railroad_Tycoon_II/

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  18386 Aug 19  2001 Railroad_Tycoon_II.md5*

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  8892 Aug 30  1999 README*

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2048 Apr  7 14:49 setup.data/

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2203 Aug 30  1999 setup.sh*

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root root 921654 Aug 30  1999 splash.bmp*

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root root  2048 Apr  7 14:49 win32/

The md5 file shows that there should be two more files main.tar.gz and maps.tar.gz, these are the same two that the installer complained of not being able to find. Every other file is on the CD but possibly in the wrong place. The md5 file also shows that everyting should be in the 'Railroad_Tycoon_II' folder, which is empty on this CD?

I also have Lokis' Descent 3 so I dug that out and had a check of the CDs. Yep, these were also hand labelled and burnt. I also noted that my supplier (TuxGames) had had to make up a third CD carrying the statement "This is a replacement CD, as the final batch of CD's supplied by Loki Software included a defective disc 1". The Loki supplied disc 1 has a different filestructure fromn the repaired  disc. Could the same have happened to my RT2 without it going through a caring supplier to correct the problem?

Are the two missing files small enough for an email attachment? With them I could build a repaired CD.

BTW My motherboard soundchip uses AC97 drivers and I could never get sound to behave sensibly with the KDE sound system. In the end I BIOS-disabled it and bought a cheap

Hi Ray,

Just to say many thanks for your help. Though the problem isn't solved you enabled me to exactly identify the problem. I'll keep my eyes open and can hopefully pick up the two missing files from somewhere in the future.

All the best, Kim

Kim,

Sorry to hear about the comfirmation of the problem.  :(  There might still be a way though, look on the net for the Heartland, USA map.  I vaguely remember it being out there.  RT2 won't run without it in the maps directory.  Google is your friend.

--Ray.

Kim,

I reread the entire thread.  I think this ebay seller sold you a bad pirate copy.  You really need to return the CD get your $$ back if you can.  Unfortuantely, after looking at my Loki cd, I think I was wrong above about it being legal.  The CD itself should have the two missing files.  How could it not be a pirate copy, right?

Needless to say, although Loki is dead and gone, I'm not going to give the pirate the missing files.  He'd only resell it.  :(

Sorry.  :(

--Ray.

Hi Ray,

I am the seller of the CD from ebay. I am not into Linux or Linux games, I have always been a Windows user. I came across a couple of Linux games from a friend, which he didnt want and offered them to me. Im thought they would sell well on ebay ( I do a fair bit of trading there) so advertised them. I dont know how to tell if this was a pirate or not, they CD looked ok and I could access files on it ok, and assumed it worked. If you dont want to send me the files, maybe you could find a way to send them to kevin, so he can sue the game. I dont know why they are not there, and Im not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks

Stefan,

I'm not trying to be a rude jerk but the only way this can be fixed is for you to take the CD back and return Kim's $$$.  Be sure to destory the CD after you get it back.  I'm not a huge supporter of copyright laws but unfortunately this situation is rather straight forward.  I just can't send him the files.  I wish I could but I can't.  It would be a violation.

I'm really sorry to have to say that.  :(

--Ray.

Hi,

Ray, I ask your patience while I ponder a few thoughts that have arisen and I feel NEEDS to be said, but to whom?

Yoiu have raised an interesting point re. violation of copyright, i.e. whose copyright? Who now owns Lokis' copyrights?  Are they still servicing the RT2 copyright or letting it go? If they are still serviceing then I would like to ask them to come forward and resolve this, if not then let us know so that people are aware that the copyright restrictions are off. I have unearthed an email address for Sam Lantinga and popped off a note raising the query and pointing to this thread.. I also sent the note to various other Loki associated addresses. Wonder if I'll get a helpful reply?

If my copy RT2 is a pirate then someone went to a lot of effort on it, the quality is as good as my Descent 3 which I know is genuine? Further contact wuith Stefan since my originakl post has left me with the impression that he genuine.

The pirate, if one existed, has already benefitted all that they may, the only people involved now are innocent victims. Should they suffer? This question should be aimed at copyright holders, but who are they?

This thread may not be the proper place for the above thioughts but where is better? Anyway, Ray, thanks for your patience. As I said earlier you've been a grat help.

Much obliged, Kim

I think I can answer some of this.  IIRC, Loki had a license from Poptop (i think it was Poptop.....maybe it was Gathering of Developers.....I can never remember which of the two owned the other) who owns the copyright.  I'm very certain that the copright is still in effect. 

As for Stefan, from his post, sounds like he's a victim too.  He really wants you to have the files so the game works.  The pirate was before him.  He was just selling unwanted software.  Try to convince him to return your money and take back the cd.  Poptop isn't the one who need to fix this.  BTW, Loki is bankrupt.  I don't think anyone is going to answer the emails.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

I'll get my camera out tonight and post some pics of the software I purchsed from Loki.  Maybe that will help.

You're welcome for the patience.  I'm not going to allow myself to become upset over this thread and patience is easily given.

--Ray.

Hi,

Ray, I ask your patience while I ponder a few thoughts that have arisen and I feel NEEDS to be said, but to whom?

Yoiu have raised an interesting point re. violation of copyright, i.e. whose copyright? Who now owns Lokis' copyrights?  Are they still servicing the RT2 copyright or letting it go? If they are still serviceing then I would like to ask them to come forward and resolve this, if not then let us know so that people are aware that the copyright restrictions are off. I have unearthed an email address for Sam Lantinga and popped off a note raising the query and pointing to this thread.. I also sent the note to various other Loki associated addresses. Wonder if I'll get a helpful reply?

If my copy RT2 is a pirate then someone went to a lot of effort on it, the quality is as good as my Descent 3 which I know is genuine? Further contact wuith Stefan since my originakl post has left me with the impression that he genuine.

The pirate, if one existed, has already benefitted all that they may, the only people involved now are innocent victims. Should they suffer? This question should be aimed at copyright holders, but who are they?

This thread may not be the proper place for the above thioughts but where is better? Anyway, Ray, thanks for your patience. As I said earlier you've been a grat help.

Much obliged, Kim

maddog, I am with you 99% on this subject. The 1% difference is that I would not send the file even if I could.  :-X

It is too bad that perhaps well meaning and innocent people get hurt by all this but

Hi Chief,

> this file is from my c:program files/railroad tycoon II - gold edition folder.

I have tried to see if I could use files from an MS-Win version. Unfortunately, no go.

> I don't know what the big deal is. You can buy RRTC platinum at office max for 9.99.

Again, wrong version. The only place I can find RT2 for Linux for sale is a second-hand copy on Amazon US.  I've found buying from the US to be risky & expensive and seeing as the seller wants 46USD to start with (for a 2nd hand) this promises to be even more expensive and difficult than getting my current disc sorted out.

Anyway, many thanks for your kind offer. It's much appreciated.

Cheers, Kim

• 4 months later...

I tried to install RT2 on Linux too.

default2.lng and other files were missing too. But on the CD there are two files : MAIN.TAR and MAPS.TAR. Probably a mistake from Loki ! This files have to be copied in the install directory (/usr/local/games/RT2 for example) and to extract with : tar -zxvf MAIN.TAR and tar -zxvf MAPS.TAR.

And so appear the missing files !

Does it works on your computer too ?