Help with RRT2 needed

I just baught a used CD of the original RRT2 and tried to install it. I started playing but everytime I buy a new train and try to set up a new root for it the game crashes what do I do!? I tried to install a patch but it doesn't help.

Thanks ???

You might try moving the sliders.

Find them by starting a map and chicking on the bottom button on the right side.(TV Screen)

Then turn off some of the things that use memory.  click memory usage to low,  Slide to a lower number thus things as:  animation, shadowing, shading, Ground texture and trees.  You might even turn off the music.  Then see if it works.  I have The second century version.  The original version should be the same.

Which patch did you use?

I saw this post over on Express World's news archive (google is your friend).........

" 31.03.2002: Wow, I got a lot of responses concerning RRT2 and Win 2000 / XP. It seems that RRT2 Platinum works on Win 2000 and Win XP (it even sais so on the box!). Also, someone claimed to have gotten RRT2 original running on XP if the add-on "Second Century" was installed and started. That's it for now, I hope all of you are still railroading. "

You didn't say it but I bet you're running XP or W2K.

--Ray.

You are right I'm running XP :O , so is there a way to get it to work?? what files do I need to make it work?

Thanx

I'm not certain to be honest.  I will look around for my original RT2 CD.  I think I may have left it in Pennsylvania at my parents farm.  Hmmmmmmm.......  If I can find it I will try to install it.

Did you try right-clicking on the rt2.exe and setting the compatibility mode to Win98?  Maybe that will fix it.

--Ray.

If you were able to install it and then RRT2 crashes when routing a train, I would surpect a graphics problem or incompatibily.  Although RRT2 did have an unsolved bug problem with touchy spots on a map. I doubt this is your problem if you have this crashing problem on more than one map.

If reducing memory usage didn't help the problem, I would look to see if there is a newer driver for you graphics software.  Be sure and copy/save the old driver before installing the new one. Sometimes new drivers can make a problem worse.

Ok I narrowed it down. The graphic software is not a problem. The error is in the rt2.pak itself. I was wondering if any of you guys mind droping me a rt2.pak from the working RRT to see if its my CD that's corrupted.

Thankx

• 2 weeks later...