New map: Victorian Railways 1870

pbenn

I think this map is in reasonable shape, but would value some more objective eyes having a go at it. Set after the goldrush in Victoria (Australia), you have to build a rail network to serve the new population centres and developing industry and agriculture. Please let me know what you think (politely, of course!):

bennet.peter.j@edumail.vic.gov.au

Thanks, Peter :)[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Hi Peter

I really enjoyed the last map you made in RRT2.

I bet this map will be a good one as well.

We about clobbered a moose the other day.  The wife was driving.

It made me think about those big greys you told me about.

This moose was so tall we may have gone under it, had we not seen it in time.

Gwizz

Thanks, Gwizz. Mind them mooses. Nothing so hazardous in this scenario, though there may be some wildlife sightings ...

Here's the text file to go with the map (got excited the other night and forgot it!).[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

Thanks Peter - really liked the map and the idea. Tried it on Expert but had incredible difficulty getting anywhere starting in Melbourne. Connected to Geelong and a few other small towns in that area and carried the required loads between them but never had enough cash (or credit) to expand elsewhere so packed it in. Next time I'll see if I can do better starting somewhere else.

Yes, I've been dumped a few times on a range of maps - sometimes it seems that to be in the middle of building track when the game starts doing something else, like an autosave, can be too confusing for it.

There seems to be a strong element of luck in the economics of RT3 - I've had failures, just like belbincolne's, and then the next time (from the same saved gamestart) everything goes swimmingly. Makes it hard to program for a consistent game.

In the light of that, I've managed successful games from several starting points in the state. Towns not connected by water seem to pay better at times. Linking raw materials with industries is pretty reliable, especially if I own the factory. Farms etc don't seem to be worthwhile in the long run.