New Map: Of Men and Seals

JayEff

CONCEPTION BAY - 1862

There's a new sort of ship moored at the wharf, and now, after a lucky night's gambling, it's yours: the first steamship ever to participate in the Newfoundland seal hunt. You and your family hurriedly prepare it for the hectic months to come.

There are plentiful harvests of fish, seals and whales to be had, but you know it will not last. Sooner or later, you must diversify, and your neighbours will have to make a living some other way. Investors from 'round the bay and in St. John's put their hopes in you to make them prosperous.

This scenario was first posted and tested on Cyberail, and seems to be quite well balanced. And it`s a unique scenario with its emphasis on ice and water, best played after a couple of belts of strong rum.

JayEff

joe_fitzpatrick at telus.net[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know that at least someone has played this!  Made a total hash of my first attempt but now that (perhaps) I've got the hang of what to do I'll give it another go. It's an interesting concept anyway and I look forward to seeing what other players think.

Just my answer to those mapmakers who push the boundaries - Steve`s Chunnel, Gwizz` Wagon Strike, PJay`s Risk, and Kraellin`s, well, everything he does ;)

I am really happy with the way the ice territories worked out. I used them to randomly assign industry ownership and create disasters, and I think the event programming makes a good example that mapmakers can refer to.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've played it three times I think it's a fantastic map and idea BUT I haven't been able to get anywhere with it.  I can get in a bit of money from a train to Sydney and St John and even a station on the ice but the overheads of all those shipping lanes leave me  permanently running at a heavy loss - is there some way of making money in the early stages? Incidentally one play I got a full year on the ice and one a disaster wiping out the station and train. The other nothing like that in (perhaps) six years before I had to give up every time millions in debt..

- The shipping lanes are pretty cheap. Most of the track was built with -100% track construction cost. It seemed each joint cost $1k, plus some edits were made later at full track cost. Check again on your cost structure. It may be that you are burning too much fuel hauling loads too far or something like that.

- I think in later versions. I will prevent weather events from occurring in the first five years. Also in a later version I am considering using the Orca

Yes I was micro-managing - ice first 4 months then switch to Sydney whilst 2nd train permanently went somewhere else (St John for example) where there was a lot of goods showing on the map. Another funny thing was that on trips to Conception for servicing (left at min 0 max 4) it carried profitable passengers/goods both ways! Another snag was that it could take over 7 months to do the Sydney trip so missed the next years ice. Anyway I'll give it another try soon.

• 4 months later...

JayEff,

congratulation, this is a real great scenario and I like it very much  :-*

after playing it several times, I'm not sure what was your original intention with the St. Lawrence River Company "Atlantic Pilots Acc." ? and why the connecting trails to the ports belonging to it. Also sometimes if an AI connects to a port (only in New Glasgow, =>Frederiction, Moncton route) you may find yr trains in the middle of nowhere, in North America. I could not figure out why, there is no reason for it, as far as I saw.

The problem with share value 0 is, if you directly buy back all shares, the next year you have enough money to buy all needed indusrty for a win. (Guess, if you let run the game in the editor for the first year, change back the company cash and save it again; this should solve it).   

As said, I like this scenario very much. So I adjusted it to my personal preferencies. (I hate the Big Boy eng. always crashing and to pay money to a dead company). Att. two version if you like them release it to the public.

rgds.

Manfred  [attachment archived by Gobalopper]

The tracks are shipping lanes. The pilots are members of an association that is well acquainted with harbour waters and narrow channels. You have to pay them a fee so they will guide your ship through thes straits. But of course it is a matter of personal preference. Take 'em out if you don't like them.

I am glad you like it and made a 'sequel'. I will give it a try when I have time.

got it,

not a bad idea, I just was wondering why I have to run unprofitable trains in this area just to keep my industry going, now I understood. Let me know what you think about V1 & V2 both have a little different concept.

Aslo, as you tested yr version -  you every found your trains down in Frederiction ? -happend twice to me after AI conncetion.

Manfred