Game speed and windowed mode

Lukan27

I have two questions to ask concerning Dune 2000.

1. I find the game speed way too slow or fast. The second-last (using the game speed slider) "option" is too fast and the third-last is way too slow. Is it possible to edit the game's data, patch it or install a modification, or anything, so the game speed can be more accurately set to the speed I find well running?

2. 640x480 graphics are getting a little old, I do not mind it though, but is there a way to change the game so i plays in windowed mode instead of blowing it up in full screen? I cannot use Ubuntu/Wine, since it gives me a fatal error because of my graphics card.

- - -

I have tried searching the subjects for some time, no luck. Anyone?

Hi Lukan

1. This one should be simple. The game should run at just the right speed when your speed bar is set to FULL. Firstly the speed is determined by how fast your computer is. When I had Celeron 500Mhz it was playable, even on Athlon XP 1800+ that I had it was hard, but still doable. Now the CPU speeds are way above playable. From what I remember when I messed with this back in the day, there are 2 things that enable this. Disabling one of them or even both should fix this problem. First thing is you are probably running the game with the "-f" parameter which can be set up at the shortcut. Default: "C:\Westwood\Dune2000\DUNE2000.EXE -f". Second thing is you probably have V-sync on(for OpenGL), turning it off should fix that too. So Delete the "-f" parametr and/or turn V-sync on.

2. Why would you want to play in windowed mode? Must be really hard to scroll the screen then, maybe that's why the option is not included

• 10 months later...

Download a program called CPU Grabber, run that and boom, job done. It's something to do with older games running far too fast on current cpu's, but by throttling your cpu you can get the game to run at normal speeds instead of unplayable lightspeed.