EU to Ban Cars from Cities by 2050

I've heard about this. From what I understand, cars in European cities (particularly the inner cities) are more trouble than their worth. I could be wrong, but I don't think the ability to drive everywhere figures into European culture as it does in American culture. Besides, this is 40 years down the road (haha).

Also, WTF is a "bitie"?

Hardly any European cities were actually built with cars in mind. They're a later influence on design, wedged into plans first dreamed up to accomodate very different priorities. Congestion is a major problem in London, for example, and from what I've seen of other large cities it's not alone. Unlike, say, New York, which seems to have been built on a grid system from the start, the byways and twists of London are pretty Byzantine in nature. Removing the cars would probably be to everyone's benefit, providing public transport can step up to fill the gap.

Fixed title.

I don't think banning private transit would be good, but I could definitely see them only allowing small electric vehicles. Less noise pollution, less air pollution, should always have a place to charge, or at least car should have enough juice to travel for day.

Ideally buses for around city, and trains for long distances. All they need to do instead of making it 'law' is to tax the crap out of vehicles/fuel, and use those tax dollars to fund public transit.

I think for the well-developed areas of Europe, it might not be a problem -- such as Belgium, Netherlands, etc. Cannot see how it would work in Finland, NW/SW Spain, or Turkey, if they are admitted. Hopefully the EU would provide a Fund for nations to 'dip into' to try to make it happen.

That's very unlikely. The EU, and indeed the IMF, shouldn't be thought of as a glorified bank, to withdraw money from whenever you need a sandwich. Nations are expected to manage themselves, or they wouldn't be much use as nations.

They want to return us in the Middle Ages, they are promoting the use of the bicycle whereas the rich will be using their limos.

Now let's say that it is night you are sick and need to be transferred to the hospital. Without private transportation this might mean you will be dead by the time the ambulance arrives to pick you up, as hundreds of people would be making emergency calls and most of them with not a life critical condition (I guess you wouldn't wait for an hour at the bus stop).

I agree with you somewhat, although most of the city centers in Europe seem ill-equipped for today's autos. A total ban seems unnecessary. Trying to get from one EU member state to another would seem almost impossible with autos. Since the EU cannot afford to have high speed rail from Finland to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, or from Spain to Scandinavia, they had better keep their cars.

No, if anything that's a flaw with the idea. People won't keep their cars so far away. Easier to rent one for travel, in which case no reason not to take the train.

On a distantly related note, one could question what the point of cities really is now. Transportation and communication have developed to the extent that many workers don't actually need to live close to their place of work, and that place of work doesn't necessarily have to place itself in the local business hub. In short: what's the point of cities now anyway?

How true, Dante. The only people left in the cities are those who cannot afford to get away -- except for the affluent downtowns. Detroit, at 370 sq km, for example, is home to only those who cannot afford to move out.

Honestly, the only reason any of us have to go to the office, is in case the federal or state government wishes to audit the files of our company. A person has to be on site to answer questions from a government authority. Otherwise, it would not be necessary to really have an office, as most of the workers are either 'on the road', or working from home.

Dante: You got the point.

Anyway the only area you can ban cars is the very center of a city where there are no houses but only commercial area. And definitely not in the night, on weekends and public holidays. Here in Athens half cars are banned every day in a bigger area of the city and it is very tough. At a given time all of us have to violate the law even though the fine is high. And consider the pollution and waste of gasoline as the cars have to do a big circle around the city.

I hope in Greece the bus system is better than here in the States. Taking a city bus through Detroit, one must make sure to bring a defensive item, or a prayer item. Of course, both will probably be needed before one gets through to downtown.

Either you use the only 3 lines of the metro or nothing else. So much traffic jam (despite bus lanes) that other means of public transportation are useless. But in case you want to carry your bicycle or a heavy item you have to use your car. And in most areas if not all yet (due to bankruptcy of Greece) there in no public transportation after 11:30 and till 5:30 (and even worse in some suburbs). For example to go to 2 distant suburbs where the bus for each doesn't start from the center and is every 30', you may spent more than 1 hour waiting for buses as you will need 3 or even 4 buses. So it will take you almost 1h 30' to 2 hours. compare to 40' - 1h 15' by car depending on traffic.